More Bike jacking action

Honkdonk

So back in May I became a statistic by way of having my bike removed forcibly by 4 young armed thugs down the road from my house. Did the whole Carte Blanche, Awareness ride thing. Made piece with it, saved up and got a replacement. Have been out a few time since and gradulally building up the miles and loving every minute of it.

Yesterday I was on a ride from Crowthorne, Midrand headed down Main rd, past Kyalami, turned left into Allandale and crossed over the road. Just there 2 youngsters came from ahead. the back guy had his arm in his jacket as if concealing a weapon of sorts. As we passed them they 1st guy grabbed me off my bike. Fortunately, i dont think they had it all planned out, or were armed. There was a lot of swearing from our side and then they ran off into the forest behind the estate. Had we caught them it would have got messy...

Keep safe out there and avoid the Diepsloot area at all costs as indicated by the other post about the shooting.

Sorry to hear this! Glad that you're ok!

Was wondering if anybody knows how things are at Northern farm these days, as it is in the same kind of area?

This is all just getting completely out of hand. One of these days we are going to need armed escourts. I wonder if the biker dudes who ride with the cyclelab crowd on weekends are armed and if this in anyway scares off would be attackers. The other thing I would like to know is how many of these attacks take place during the week as apposed to weekends. I mostly ride alone during the week and that is definitely a concern.

It seem that these guys are after a fast buck. Cyclist is an easy target. I don't even think the worry about the bike. Cell phone and other valuables ? Disgrace that things is coming to this...

Edited by narra

Glad you're ok. I am considering riding with a baseball bat in addition to pepper spray, cycling is becoming a very dangerous sport/hobby.

Sorry to hear this! Glad that you're ok!

Was wondering if anybody knows how things are at Northern farm these days, as it is in the same kind of area?

Since the end of winter I've done a lot of riding at northern farms and haven't had any problems nor heard of any(touch wood).

I think the farm is ok. the Hills and Dales road alongside it may be a bit suspect as is the main road in fron of the entrance. I have riden there a few times lately and it is nice. But always keep a watch out along the perimiter fences and boundaries. They have security situated in the farm and it seems to be busy enough to deter the worst offenders.

That being said. we still need to take care.