Is sportsmanship dead?

grimpeur

Apparently not! I was racing for the line this weekend (ok ,not for a podium finish) in the Joostenberg ride, with failing legs, and a gap opening up in front of me that I could do absolutely nothing about when, lo and behold, a get a huge push from behind... I look around but see only strangers, so I put my head down again, but still I can't close the gap... until I get another push! This time the gap closes and fly past a good 15 guys over the line. Whoever it was, thanks! It's not my position that made my day - it's the fact that there are guys out there who haven't forgotten what the sport, and life, is really all about.

I'm generally trying so hard to improve my seeding (or my ego?) that I can't think of helping anyone beat me!

Its about time for me. and the odd feeling of wat goes around comes around.. In last years burger i pushed a cycle lab rider and 5k before the end i started cramping badly when poof the same rider hands me and eno. afterwards he said i pedaled his heart out to stay with us just so he could thank me afterwards. gives me a good feeling to know wat i do is apreciated.

Yep- something similar happened to me in one of my first Amashova's, when I got a push from behind going up that bump just up to Tollgate Bridge before plummeting down the freeway canyon a few k's from the finish, from a guy in Germiston Wheeler's kit- never forget it and the warm feeling it gave me :clap: . It gave me the legs I needed to stay in that group and do my part in the front in the last few k's going in towards the finish.

And sometimes it is easier to help the due in front of you close the gap than bridge you and the gap you left.

This time the gap closes and fly past a good 15 guys over the line.

Just for our clarity - did you pass 15 guys after the finish line, but before the timing mat? :P If you did the irony in your subject line and this would be awesome!!

I think there is quite a strong negative correlation between salaries paid to sportsmen and sportsmanship. The stakes are just becoming too high to give an inch.

And by the way - if I have the legs I still try to sprint for 99th place!

I always try to end my race with a sprint, even if I've had a crap ride and am near the back.

It will help next time i'm in the front, dying and am in contention for a podium place to know that my body can still do it.

"When your body says no more and you've had enough - Thats when you go again"

The best sprint finish, for 99th place, is one done in granny gear - especially if you have a few mates fighting for the same position.

Sometimes you even get the crowd's support.

Just for our clarity - did you pass 15 guys after the finish line, but before the timing mat? :P If you did the irony in your subject line and this would be awesome!!

I think there is quite a strong negative correlation between salaries paid to sportsmen and sportsmanship. The stakes are just becoming too high to give an inch.

Ha ha, before the line, dude. I also try not to be jerk!

Agree, but if it's only about the money, why do us amateurs behave like jerks sometimes? I love the competitiveness of the final sprint, even if I'm 199th. But let's not lose perspective. Give the struggling guy a push next time - it'll make his day and put the fun back into the sport!