Eggbeater pedals...What to know?

MJ the Expat

So it is time to upgrade the pedals on my wifes bike. She has had problems clipping in when there is mud stuck to the bottom of her shoe or on the pedal body.

I know the eggbeater is supposed to be better in this area (mud clearance)...And I see they are on special almost everywhere.

So give me the bad side of this pedal...Why will my wife not like them should I buy them.

I've ridden them for years on both bikes and as an added bonus, Famous Shamus who is the SA Distributor, has the best backup service.

Can't go wrong with them at all.

For me its the best pedals ever, I have the twin ti ones, so they are light aswell. I had LOOK pedals before and I gave them away, I kept on pulling my feet out of the LOOK pedals.

For me its the best pedals ever, I have the twin ti ones, so they are light aswell. I had LOOK pedals before and I gave them away, I kept on pulling my feet out of the LOOK pedals.

I'd say they weren't set up correctly. The Quartz are the pedals of choice for most of SA's top MTB Pro's.

I'd say they weren't set up correctly. The Quartz are the pedals of choice for most of SA's top MTB Pro's.

Also had a friend who had the same trouble with his Quartz. Eventually had to get a new pair.

EggBeater is really the best pedal. Easy to get your foot in and out, gives no trouble and after sales service is superb.

My 2c

Eggbeaters are flippen light, sheds mud really well and have the bling thing going for it but they are not SPD's that you can just fit and forget without maintenance(the latest CB pedal are supposedly tougher and needs rebuilding much less...time will tell). They also have a certain amount of float that you can't adjust like with SPD's which if you come from that plaform is something you have to get used to. I personally don't mind the float, but some of my friends didn't like it. If I could choose any CB pedal, it would more than likely be the candy's and not the eggbeaters, they have a bigger platform than the eggbeaters which gives you a better feeling of transfering power but that is just me.

Look MTB pedals are the only pedal design that i know off that clips from the front. Mechanics of rocky downhill or stairs forces your feet forward in the pedals thus pushing on the front clip resulting in the pedal opening and your front foot comes out...

I tried all shims 0.5mm-3mm, cut some grip off my Specialized PRO MTB shoe soles but my feet still came out the Look Quartz on technical descents.. Don't know maybe i just cant ride a bike. Gone back to Shim XTR, never failed me in over 8 years.

I won a cool set of 2012 XT pedals from Bicycle Safety by confining my egg beaters back to the drawer in the kitchen where they belong :thumbup:

My Wife was not happy with her SPD's and went down to WEBIKE who fitting some Egg Beater 3's. She has never looked back.

Ps I ride the CB Candy 3's

The old CB pedals all had bearings on the outboard side of the pedal and bushings inboard side, which obviously wear and need to be replaced. They where also not air and watertight, which meant that dust and mud eventually got into the bearings and bushings. The new models are airtight/watertight and have a 2 or 5 year warranty depending on the model.

Edited by Wallee

Thug, why is the egg 1 cheaper than the egg 2 but also lighter? Is there much difference in durabillity/strength?

The Egg 1 has a bush bearing, the 2 has a needle roller. The bush is lighter (not much 3 or 4 grames) but wears quicker than the needle rollers