Aftermarket frames

29" MAN

Afternoon all hubbers

Not to contradict myself but this is solely my own opinion and do it without the intent to bad mouth any supplier. I have been using aftermarket frames we so often see available on the hub for the past two years and was very pleased up untill a recent experience. Recently Brandon Els (Rep for Probike) posted a article on twitter about the the differance between a 5K aftermarket frame and a 15K branded frame, his message was quite clear higliting the diffirance in strength and various technology inputs going into the make of the frame, I read this article only days before actually breaking my 29er frame that I had bought aftermarket only 2 months ago. The frame broke in 6 diffirent places after my front wheel washed out on a slippery brige.to give you an idea, I was riding at 30km/h when it happened, didn't tear my bib, shirt, didnt't crack my helmet or any other EC90 komponentry I have on my bike. All I am really trying to say is that I believe even though these frames are at the right price, a serious element of strenght has been overlooked and if you don't believe me see the attached picture.

post-28015-0-85034300-1320688447.jpg

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Afternoon all hubbers

Not to contradict myself but this is solely my own opinion and do it without the intent to bad mouth any supplier. I have been using aftermarket frames we so often see available on the hub for the past two years and was very pleased up untill a recent experience. Recently Brandon Els (Rep for Probike) posted a article on twitter about the the differance between a 5K aftermarket frame and a 15K branded frame, his message was quite clear higliting the diffirance in strength and various technology inputs going into the make of the frame, I read this article only days before actually breaking my 29er frame that I had bought aftermarket only 2 months ago. The frame broke in 6 diffirent places after my front wheel washed out on a slippery brige.to give you an idea, I was riding at 30km/h when it happened, didn't tear my bib, shirt, didnt't crack my helmet or any other EC90 komponentry I have on my bike. All I am really trying to say is that I believe even though these frames are at the right price, a serious element of strenght has been overlooked and if you don't believe me see the attached picture.

I am so glad you posted this.All of us get temted to buy a cheaper noname frame,but you pay for quality control too when you buy a branded frame who will take responsibility when this happens .Now you have to pay R20000, for the frame you realy wanted in the first place .Goedkoop koop is duurkoop.Your skeleton could have looked like this frame

Very fortunate to not have looked like the frame! Very true ben-johan, the temptation is great, The real MJ, also true, obviosly some suppliers provide a bang for bucks up to a certain price bracket.

Afternoon all hubbers

Not to contradict myself but this is solely my own opinion and do it without the intent to bad mouth any supplier. I have been using aftermarket frames we so often see available on the hub for the past two years and was very pleased up untill a recent experience. Recently Brandon Els (Rep for Probike) posted a article on twitter about the the differance difference between a 5K aftermarket frame and a 15K branded frame, his message was quite clear higliting highlighting the diffirance difference in strength and various technology inputs going into the make of the frame, I read this article only days before actually breaking my 29er frame that I had bought aftermarket only 2 months ago. The frame broke in 6 diffirent different places after my front wheel washed out on a slippery brige.bridge to give you an idea, I was riding at 30km/h when it happened, didn't tear my bib, shirt, didnt't didn't crack my helmet or any other EC90 komponentry components I have on my bike. All I am really trying to say is that I believe even though these frames are at the right price, a serious element of strenght strength has been overlooked and if you don't believe me see the attached picture.

There I fixed it(grammatically).

Without sounding like a real cock, but there are some other factors to this that just a frame breaking, I have a feeling there are some external factors that have also lead to this frame breaking the way it did. Carbon Fibre doesn't break in 10 different places unless it has been abused. This is the first time I have seen a frame disintegrate like that. Not calling you a liar, but I don't think we are getting the whole story here.

Edited by Sammajoor

There I fixed it_(grammatically).

Without sounding like a real cock dick, but there are some other factors to this that just a frame breaking, I have a feeling there are some external factors that have also lead to this frame breaking the way it did. Carbon Fibre doesn't break in 10 different places unless it has been abused. This is the first time I have seen a frame disintegrate like that. Not calling you a liar, but I don't think we are getting the whole story here.

;)

Edited by Pain or Shine

There I fixed it(grammatically).

Without sounding like a real cock dick bell-end, but there are some other factors to this that just a frame breaking, I have a feeling there are some external factors that have also lead to this frame breaking the way it did. Carbon Fibre doesn't break in 10 different places unless it has been abused. This is the first time I have seen a frame disintegrate like that. Not calling you a liar, but I don't think we are getting the whole story here.

;)

wink.gifwink.gif

Must agree with you 29" man. In the end you get what you pay for. Glad you are not hurt.

Udxcob, I would rather not say as to protect those involved, I'm just grateful for insurance. Sammajoor ... thanks I guess, I can really respect your opinion, I love my bike just as much as any other guy who is up at 6 in the morning and on a bike forum. Pain or Shine hahaha brilliant! Zac.A I assembled it myself, what justifies it though is that I've been working in a bike shop for two years, coming in contact with more mechanical cases in a day than some people get in a year.

Just because a bike looks like another it doesn't mean its the same quality. That's the thing with open mould frames. Ten different companies can use the same mould, but the materials and resin used can differ drastically between them, as well as the expertise of the people putting it all together. Glad you're ok 29" man, I will certainly think twice before buying a no name brand frame.

With all due respect I would be able to vouch that the frame in question has not, what so ever, received any abuse that any normal frame would not receive through normal mountinbiking. I was present when the insedent took place and therefore witnessed the simple slipping of the front wheel on the bridge on the spruit near emerentia and the soon after crumbling of the frame...

P.S. Funny as hell from behind!! :lol: :lol:

Udxcob, I would rather not say as to protect those involved, I'm just grateful for insurance. Sammajoor ... thanks I guess, I can really respect your opinion, I love my bike just as much as any other guy who is up at 6 in the morning and on a bike forum. Pain or Shine hahaha brilliant! Zac.A I assembled it myself, what justifies it though is that I've been working in a bike shop for two years, coming in contact with more mechanical cases in a day than some people get in a year.

I think you need to spill the beans on the branding of this frame and where you brought it from. I assume you wouldn't want the same thing to happen, possibly with the potential for a serious injury, to anyone else.