Wild Coast rides

TimW

I'm going to chill at the Wild Coast for a couple of weeks in December (staying at a private cottage about halfway between The Haven and Hole in the Wall).

Anybody know any good rides in the area.

I will explore once I am there and know I will find some great riding, but if anybody knows the area and has some good rides already on GPS it will save time and make sure I find the good riding from day one.

Cheers

Doing the same in December - but going to be based more towards Port Shepstone side. Maybe one day take a drive to Oribi Gorge and Lake Eland areas.

• 8 months later...

Have you guys seen the AWESOME new 2 day stage race that is going to take place in Port st Johns on the 1st & 2nd September?

This is wild coast mountain biking at it's best!

Take mace and make sure you have some insurance

Rubbish, I've felt safer riding along the wild coast than I have riding in some of our more urban places.

So long as you are sensible, and courteous, riding here is quiet safe.

I ride a lot in the wild coast, on my own, and have always only been treated with courtesy and respect.

The only person that makes my rides unsafe is myself, bombing down washed out, rocky tracks and roads.

Rubbish, I've felt safer riding along the wild coast than I have riding in some of our more urban places.

So long as you are sensible, and courteous, riding here is quiet safe.

I ride a lot in the wild coast, on my own, and have always only been treated with courtesy and respect.

The only person that makes my rides unsafe is myself, bombing down washed out, rocky tracks and roads.

Each to their own - having grown up there and spend the best part of 20yrs in the EC i can say 95% of people are great and im glad you have never had a problem but i can assure you many have. I think you hit the nail on the head - you feel safe. I also feel safe walking on table mountain but that doesnt mean it is safe as seen with the amount of attacks. So if i understand you correctly you wouldnt advise anyone to take mace in case of an emergency based on only your expereince alone? Would you let your girlfriend/wie walk around there all alone seems its so safe and friendly?

Agree! Jan from Clearwater took us a 3 day ride down the coast last year. Never felt unsafe for a moment! Great riding!

Guided group is a far cry from riding around alone isnt it?

I dont think Jan from Clearwater goes that far down the coast. anyway it isnt a day trip from The Haven back to Port Edward as you have to go via Umtata.

Maybe call the hotels around that area and ask them, e.g Hole in the Wall. Haven, Coffee Bay. They will be used to riders coming past and can probably hook you up with the contact details of whoever organizes the rides. They probably wont mind sharing a bit of local info with you. Alternatively they can possibly recommend day rides starting from their hotel. Enjoy. Its a great part of the world.

Re safety. Put it this way, most (not all) rural folk down that part of the country normally simple,friendly types. December can be a bit on the edgy side as city slickers/workers return home to Transkei for Holidays. Drink too much, time on their hands etc. Hijacking an mtb slowly trundling past might be a fun way to pass the time and show off. I would suggest not riding alone if you can avoid it or just be bloody careful if you do.

I dont think Jan from Clearwater goes that far down the coast. anyway it isnt a day trip from The Haven back to Port Edward as you have to go via Umtata.

Maybe call the hotels around that area and ask them, e.g Hole in the Wall. Haven, Coffee Bay. They will be used to riders coming past and can probably hook you up with the contact details of whoever organizes the rides. They probably wont mind sharing a bit of local info with you. Alternatively they can possibly recommend day rides starting from their hotel. Enjoy. Its a great part of the world.

Re safety. Put it this way, most (not all) rural folk down that part of the country normally simple,friendly types. December can be a bit on the edgy side as city slickers/workers return home to Transkei for Holidays. Drink too much, time on their hands etc. Hijacking an mtb slowly trundling past might be a fun way to pass the time and show off. I would suggest not riding alone if you can avoid it or just be bloody careful if you do.

Couldnt agree more - that is the thing. Its the small number and after a couple of drink your new 29er is going to look an an attractive item. The cost of a bike could feed several familes for a week and you would be naive to think that they dont know this.

WR1.0 i think you are missing the point - preventative measures

I have lived at Umngazi River Bungalows near Port St Johns for the past 5 years, I ride at least 3 to 5 times a week, often by myself for 2 to 4 hours at a time and have never had a problem. Safety has never been a concern. The locals are very friendly and helpful. If you need assistance with routes ect PM me

• 3 weeks later...

Take mace and make sure you have some insurance

You see it is this kind of attitude that attracts trouble. I ride through the wild coast regularly, and out of the main towns, these are the friendliest people you could meet. A wave and a molo goes a long way. People, even surly youths light up when greeted in a friendly way. Give it a try, it's got some of South Africa's most spectacular scenery and it is naturally a mountain biking heaven. The tapestry of footpaths

You see it is this kind of attitude that attracts trouble. I ride through the wild coast regularly, and out of the main towns, these are the friendliest people you could meet. A wave and a molo goes a long way. People, even surly youths light up when greeted in a friendly way. Give it a try, it's got some of South Africa's most spectacular scenery and it is naturally a mountain biking heaven. The tapestry of footpaths

And some of the friendliest people, if, as you say you greet them, and treat them with respect.

I do stay away from villages and groups of people during the peak drinking times, Easter and New Year, but I've never had any problems when I've unavoidably ridden through parties.