Sponsorships

LiquidIce78

Hi there,

I just have a quick question. My son is now 16. He started mtb racing this time last year. So far he's had 3 podium finishes in Vorieberg Races (30km), was 5th overall in Gauteng for the Anatomic Spur School Races in his age category, 10th overall in the Anatomic Spur Nationals, he did four out of the five Nissan Trailseekers. He came 3rd in the Van Gaalen race for the Youth Boys and is currently 4th on the SASeeding list (Nissan Trailseeker Series Standing)and 9th on the Top Seeding Index for Gauteng. There are a few more races, but I can't remember all of them now, but I think that for a laaitie that just started off, he is doing pretty good.

Now my question is, how does one go about getting sponsorships for him? Nothing fancy, just sponsoring his clothes or races. Just to get his foot in the door. Do I compile a presentation of his achievements and go out into the great big world or do I just wait for hopefully someone to approach him?

Hi there,

I just have a quick question. My son is now 16. He started mtb racing this time last year. So far he's had 3 podium finishes in Vorieberg Races (30km), was 5th overall in Gauteng for the Anatomic Spur School Races in his age category, 10th overall in the Anatomic Spur Nationals, he did four out of the five Nissan Trailseekers. He came 3rd in the Van Gaalen race for the Youth Boys and is currently 4th on the SASeeding list (Nissan Trailseeker Series Standing)and 9th on the Top Seeding Index for Gauteng. There are a few more races, but I can't remember all of them now, but I think that for a laaitie that just started off, he is doing pretty good.

Now my question is, how does one go about getting sponsorships for him? Nothing fancy, just sponsoring his clothes or races. Just to get his foot in the door. Do I compile a presentation of his achievements and go out into the great big world or do I just wait for hopefully someone to approach him?

Hi, congrats on the laaitjie's races, well done!! im not exactly sure how it works, i know there are literally 1000's of guys trying to get sponsors, so it wont be easy..but if he keeps his fitness and race hard next year, then maybe talk to some of the guys at the bike-shops for a sponsor of some sort. pick the races carefully, and be careful of injuries, he is still young, maybe taking him to a good coach to look at his setup/body comp etc...every small gain could help in the long run(or ride).

good luck...

train really hard! get on the first podium for all his races then he will get approached. just like what i did and got a sponsor!

Hi there,

Unfortunately in mtb you dont really get big teams and so sponsorship is rather select. So, you need to get your son involved with a good coach... most good coaches have connections. Also look at getting him involved with a club that have a good number of Junior mtb riders... i know Fritz Pienaar Cycles had something going for junior mtb riders. Can always phone and ask them. Otherwise i think the Mr Price youth academy is still going, they were predominately a road academy... not sure how many mtb riders they may have now. Another option is to get a hold of the team jeep guys, they wont take your son on into their racing team straight away but if they dont have an academy or club of riders he could join then they may be able to give you some usefull advice and will at least know of your son for future reference.

If you decide to go it alone and "sponsor" him yourself. It is important that he consistently takes part in the most publicized races... winning the timbuktu mtb race is good for the spirit but does null for exposure. Get him riding the national xc series, miway half marathon series and nissan series and if he is consistent then he will raise eyebrows... either way, sponsor or no sponsor it'll still cost you a fair bit in the beginning.

Good Luck

Great results for the first year. If he keeps on performing like this, he will be picked up. One or two 1st places and someone will sponsor him. Even if it just some kit, entry fee and travel and accommodation for a few races.

Thanks for the replies! Now for my next question... Where do I start to find a coach for him? I have absolutely no idea and searching the web came up with nothing.

Thanks for the replies! Now for my next question... Where do I start to find a coach for him? I have absolutely no idea and searching the web came up with nothing.

you have pm, I know someone who is good.

Please Pm me also, I’m in the same boat .My son is also going strong for his first year but I think he must train now for the future (in 2 years’ time). :clap:

Please Pm me also, I’m in the same boat .My son is also going strong for his first year but I think he must train now for the future (in 2 years’ time). :clap:

you got pm

Liquidice78 - I have just been through this whole excercise in getting sponsors for our Downhill Team. In most cases the sponsors wont come looking for you, you need to go looking for them. An absolute must is a good proposal that you can submit to the sponsor that highlights you past and current achievements. Remember that the potential sponsor will be making some sort of investment or conribution that will always cost him money, be that in supplying funds or products, he is still giving out money. He will want to know what his return on his investment is in sponsoring you. You need to highlight what events you will be competeing in, expected competitor numbers, spectator numbers and how the event can create exposure for his brand. probably the most important aspect is what exposure you can give and create for him. Chat to newspapers and get them to post results of the events you compete in, create a Facebook page where you can post race results, photo's etc and get as many people as you know to 'like' your page.

I can go on and on and you will be happy to know that there are sponsors out there who will help you, you just have to show them how you going to in a proposal. A very important mindset when approaching sponsors is - not what your sponsor can do for you, but what you can do for your sponsor.

Good luck!!

I recommend that you stay away from a coach that only works with you online vie e-mailed training programs while you son is still young and inexperienced. Here are is a link to the CSA coaching site...

My link

there are a number of good coaches on here... i personally can recommend clint curtis and jaco ferreira, really good.

and if your super serious and are willing to spend a bit for world class coaching here in gauteng then try My link

there are a number of good coaches on here... i personally can recommend clint curtis and jaco ferreira, really good.

Jaco Ferreira got Cherize Taylor to the top as a younster.