Cricket......

E1A104

There’s an old club mate of mine playing T20 in NZ. He really wasnt anything special, but he made the move and it worked out for him so i guess kudo’s are due. T20 was never really my thing, i preferred the multi-day redball games. Bit more of a test in my opinion. Different strokes for different folks i guess. 

In my humble opinion, cricket is played with a red ball ????

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

He would have been 18? Imagine the dumb **** you said when you were that age being brought up and used against you now?

People are no longer allowed to change or grow, are they?

7 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

He would have been 18? Imagine the dumb **** you said when you were that age being brought up and used against you now?

People are no longer allowed to change or grow, are they?

I would be in deep trouble... I for one cannot judge him.

it is deplorable what he did, no question, but the level of f@ktapness to troll this guy's social media history on the day of his test debut just in order to piss on his parade is next level f@ktap.

as a 21yo (back in 2000) i almost got my teeth kicked in at work one day for behaving the way my conservative parents raised me. that day was a watershed moment for me and ive learnt to unlearn the ways of Vorster/Verwoerd et al. and the guy almost responsible for rearranging my teeth is my best friend today.

go figure...

On 6/2/2021 at 10:26 PM, gemmerbal said:

T20 was never really my thing, i preferred the multi-day redball games. Bit more of a test in my opinion. Different strokes for different folks i guess. 

Have to agree, T20's a bit of a proverbial crapshoot. I love the intensity of closely fought test cricket and how a well-thought change of tactics and the response can turn a match.  Really enjoy travelling to Newlands and Wanderers and MCG and Lords and The Oval, and I've usually been brilliantly rewarded even when doing so spontaneously. Newlands is especially glorious.

On 6/2/2021 at 10:26 PM, gemmerbal said:

There’s an old club mate of mine playing T20 in NZ. He really wasnt anything special, but he made the move and it worked out for him so i guess kudo’s are due. T20 was never really my thing, i preferred the multi-day redball games. Bit more of a test in my opinion. Different strokes for different folks i guess. 

I won't ask for your comments on the Hundred then!

moving on - I think a decent performance here would really be some tonic to cricket SA who are so short of some good news.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/south-africa-tour-of-west-indies-2021-1263140/west-indies-vs-south-africa-1st-test-1263149/match-preview

2 hours ago, Shebeen said:

I won't ask for your comments on the Hundred then!

moving on - I think a decent performance here would really be some tonic to cricket SA who are so short of some good news.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/south-africa-tour-of-west-indies-2021-1263140/west-indies-vs-south-africa-1st-test-1263149/match-preview

T20 was formally introduced during my first season in the UK. My first thought was, this is exactly like the weekday league we played in, sometimes referred to as Pub Cricket - the format was 16 8-ball overs. as a "pro" i was obliged to play midweek cricket, but I kept wicket and opened the batting - I am NOT a keeper, I opened the bowling on the weekends, but because the Pub League was played mostly on cement pitches AND because our keeper was HORSE crap, I said I would keep wicket - bowling on cement wickets caused all of my injuries in my career so I tried to avoid it as much as possible.

anyways, Pub Cricket has been played since the dawn of time, T20 just brought it forward and obviously the commercial appeal is what drives it. My problem with T20 is borne from what the IPL is doing to Test Cricket, more specifically how the entire FTP has to fit in around the stupid IPL. Indian cricket is super strong at the moment, and that is because of the IPL, but the rest of world cricket is crap because guys choose to go play T20 here there and everywhere for the money instead of building a career in Test Cricket.

T20 cricket is like playing 8-ball pool, you smash the balls and sometimes you pocket everything and other times you pot nothing. Test Cricket is like Snooker, it requires skill and patience.

I have been happier since last week, because there's been Test Cricket on TV... let's hope our boys can have a good series, dammit we need some positive energy in our cricket!

Viva Proteas Viva!

1 hour ago, Vetplant said:

But wait, there's more. 

Elgar out 5th ball. 

SA at 0/1

36/2 currently. Markram and Van Der Dussen batting. Let's hope they can stay together until stumps!

So the first day went all right but there's still room for improvement, mostly just better shot selection from both Elgar and Verreyne. It certainly looks to be a bit of an application first fancy shots second kind of wicket for the batsmen due to the movement the quicks are getting. Loads of swing on offer plus movement of the seam too. Day 2 will be an interesting one. Here's the highlights: 

West Indies v South Africa | 1st Test | Day 1 Highlights - YouTube 

Another missed opportunity for Markram… Elgar getting out in the usual fashion, goodness he’s not the prettiest batsman but he makes up for it most times by sheer grit and determination. We have a long tail, but thats comparing it to our side from 2009-2013 so anything will pale in comparison i guess. 

58 minutes ago, gemmerbal said:

Another missed opportunity for Markram… Elgar getting out in the usual fashion, goodness he’s not the prettiest batsman but he makes up for it most times by sheer grit and determination. We have a long tail, but thats comparing it to our side from 2009-2013 so anything will pale in comparison i guess. 

This tail isn't too bad. Kesha and KG can both handle the bat, we just have two 11s

1 minute ago, Vetplant said:

Brilliant cricket by De Kock currently. Well deserved 100!

He might just decide it's time to go full Quinjet on the Windies bowlers and if he does that they could be facing a deficit of over 200 very very quickly. Also QdK in full Quinjet mode is a sight to behold!!!!!!