Cricket......

E1A104

We didn’t hear the Black Caps complaining when they lost the final in 2019 due to an incorrect umpiring decision. They accepted it and went on their merry way. 

I’m seriously annoyed by this. Jeepers. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

ag jirre... i dont even bother reading about that nonsense. how about Omar Henry coming out last week moaning about the 1992 WC... faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak meeeeeeeeee.... we will see all sorts of jokes coming out with this social justice hearing crap... I still hear Ntini bragging about his fitness running between the venues/hotels, only for him to come out saying he felt uncomfortable on the bus...

sorry, I JUST CAN'T....

On 7/15/2021 at 4:08 PM, gemmerbal said:

ag jirre... i dont even bother reading about that nonsense. how about Omar Henry coming out last week moaning about the 1992 WC... faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak meeeeeeeeee.... we will see all sorts of jokes coming out with this social justice hearing crap... I still hear Ntini bragging about his fitness running between the venues/hotels, only for him to come out saying he felt uncomfortable on the bus...

sorry, I JUST CAN'T....

i think the process is fine, but some of the players seem to forget that they will not look good if they really poke the hornet's nest.

latest one

https://www.news24.com/sport/cricket/proteas/roger-telemachus-recalls-proteas-big-5-clique-and-world-cup-non-selection-20210716?fbclid=IwAR1wwuAs6fwaHqoPOTE8x2PMKxAr0P2rScG6CBYWy22S_WQgozxQZPVC1l4

Roger can be happy he wasn't in that game. we batted first and tried to blast them into space A La 434 match the previous year, it didn't work and were 30/5 after 10 overs. bowlers were not really consequential that day, but he wasn't a stand out performer so there was no controversy.

On 7/15/2021 at 4:08 PM, gemmerbal said:

sorry, I JUST CAN'T....

two i would like to hear from:

Makhaya, I think his experiences are important to hear but please through a lawyer or someone articulate with what he should be saying.

Justin Ontong/Jacques Rudolph - probably the worst case of meddling ever and would hopefully black ball the suits from pushing their agenda directly onto the field.

i don't wanna hear about the 2015 WC semi, kyle abbott vs vern. that is not why we lost, trying to turn AB into an allrounder for the death overs was a lot more of a booboo, we just didn't have the allrounders so needed to adjust accordingly

54 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

two i would like to hear from:

Makhaya, I think his experiences are important to hear but please through a lawyer or someone articulate with what he should be saying.

Justin Ontong/Jacques Rudolph - probably the worst case of meddling ever and would hopefully black ball the suits from pushing their agenda directly onto the field.

i don't wanna hear about the 2015 WC semi, kyle abbott vs vern. that is not why we lost, trying to turn AB into an allrounder for the death overs was a lot more of a booboo, we just didn't have the allrounders so needed to adjust accordingly

VDP has lots to say on a whatsapp group he is involved with and his comments arent very flattering. His selection on that day certainly had an influence on team morale, i dont think that fact should be overlooked. Also remember that we were well on our way to put a big number on the board before the rain put a spanner in the works. But i will also say that our bowling on that day was well below par. I also have an issue with those small fields that some of the WC games were played on in NZ, but of course it is the same for both teams. Bowlers operate as a unit, i do think the goings-on regarding selection had an impact on their morale. 

If our cricket board did its job for the last 27 odd years, we wouldnt have to be talking about selecting guys based on anything other than performance. But no, spending money on development is secondary to lining pockets and pushing guys into the team for immediate “transformation success”. 

This Social Justice Committee is nothing more than a platform for players to come forward with imaginary stories of wrong-doing in an attempt to deflect their own shortcomings. This process should really be targeted at the administrators who were in charge and did nothing but line their own pockets. To my knowledge the Bakers Mini cricket development program has been running since well before 1992 and its still the only development program yielding any form of success, which in itself says a lot. And lets not forget how much money was pumped into Soweto CC and Langa CC who today has nothing to show for it because the facilities are ransacked. 

We have many talented cricketers across the ethic dispersion. But they are being let down by their administrators. Thats really all that should be said about that. 

Furthermore, when Wayne Parnell came up through the system i was really hopeful that he would turn the corner and become a champion cricketer. But CSA failed him. Just like Tsotsobe, Zondeki, Ngam and so many others. 

Edited by gemmerbal

• 1 month later...
On 7/19/2021 at 12:47 PM, gemmerbal said:

Furthermore, when Wayne Parnell came up through the system i was really hopeful that he would turn the corner and become a champion cricketer. But CSA failed him. Just like Tsotsobe, Zondeki, Ngam and so many others. 

Good point.  Zondeki and Ngam were explosive when they came through and I especially loved watching Ngam live.  Tsotsobe, however, has only himself to blame.  Extremely undisciplined, lazy, overweight, and unfit.  He and his loser friends were only really interested in partying.  He bought my mate's nightclub, didn’t have a clue what he was doing, partied and drugged hard, and that endeavour failed as well.  No surprise to me that he got an 8 year ban for match-fixing.

Edited by justinafrika

20 hours ago, justinafrika said:

Good point.  Zondeki and Ngam were explosive when they came through and I especially loved watching Ngam live.  Tsotsobe, however, has only himself to blame.  Extremely undisciplined, lazy, overweight, and unfit.  He and his loser friends were only really interested in partying.  He bought my mate's nightclub, didn’t have a clue what he was doing, partied and drugged hard, and that endeavour failed as well.  No surprise to me that he got an 8 year ban for match-fixing.

from what I remember Ngam was an unfortunate story. The rigours of fast bowling at 1st class level were tough on him and poor nutrition growing up meant his body was just not up to it. I'm sure that many injuries could be put down to poverty as an indirect cause.

Spot on.  Pity ‘cos he was exciting, taking loads of wickets, and was still in the process of honing skills.  I’d frequently travel to watch cricket (simply can’t afford it these last few years) and I was looking forward to many more years of exploits from him.  

The cricket academy is right across the road from me (it’s also my local watering hole) and Ngam drops in occasionally, very cool bloke.  Vince van der Bijl wrote an excellent piece on him in Business Day last year.

Edited by justinafrika

33 minutes ago, justinafrika said:

Spot on.  Pity ‘cos he was exciting, taking loads of wickets, and was still in the process of honing skills.  I’d frequently travel to watch cricket (simply can’t afford it these last few years) and I was looking forward to many more years of exploits from him.  

The cricket academy is right across the road from me (it’s also my local watering hole) and Ngam drops in occasionally, very cool bloke.  Vince van der Bijl wrote an excellent piece on him in Business Day last year.

wow, thank you

https://www.businesslive.co.za/bd/opinion/columnists/2020-10-07-vince-van-der-bijl-the-inspiring-journey-of-mfuneko-ngam-part-one/

Yes i agree with you @justinafrika and @Shebeen. CSA should have taught these players about proper nutrition and how to manage themselves etc. I get the idea that improper nutrition as a youngster has an impact, knowing how to manage ones weaknesses is as important as knowing how to manage your workload as a bowler etc. As a bowler you need to evolve constantly and improve your technique so as to have longevity - these are all things that could have made a difference under proper guidance. Saw a great doccie about my hero White Lightning and how he had to relearn how to run properly when he came onto the scene initially. Same can be said of DK Lillee, Wasim Akram etc on how to constantly improve in order to have a long career. Maybe thats down to the individual, but for me given our history and all that, CSA should have played a much bigger part in these players’ careers. And thats why i want to see our administrators being asked the tough questions on why these players were left to fail. 

3 hours ago, gemmerbal said:

knowing how to manage ones weaknesses is as important as knowing how to manage your workload as a bowler etc. As a bowler you need to evolve constantly and improve your technique so as to have longevity

On that note, Shoaib Aktar was frequently unkind to his body.  I was looking forward to an intriguing test against Pakistan at St George’s Park, as they usually are.  To my regret, Aktar pulled out before the first morning.  I found out why when the cab driver who was Alviro Petersen’s stepfather, who often was our cabdriver to sports events, told of "relaying" three pairs of sex workers (yes six) and cocaine to Aktar through the night before the test started...

Woes!!

1826637172_herpesgif.gif.d05bc6ec479ea3daf49c3dba9bcc5bc9.gif

Edited by justinafrika

5 hours ago, justinafrika said:

On that note, Shoaib Aktar was frequently unkind to his body.  I was looking forward to an intriguing test against Pakistan at St George’s Park, as they usually are.  To my regret, Aktar pulled out before the first morning.  I found out why when the cab driver who was Alviro Petersen’s stepfather, who often was our cabdriver to sports events, told of "relaying" three pairs of sex workers (yes six) and cocaine to Aktar through the night before the test started...

Woes!!

1826637172_herpesgif.gif.d05bc6ec479ea3daf49c3dba9bcc5bc9.gif

Akhtar, flip that oke was dangerous in his prime. And even moreso with a cricket ball ????

18 hours ago, gemmerbal said:

Akhtar, flip that oke was dangerous in his prime. And even moreso with a cricket ball ????

I saw the first ball ever clocked at over 100 miles an hour from his arm.  didn't know he was that big into other sporting activities