Cricket......

E1A104

6 hours ago, Shebeen said:

I saw the first ball ever clocked at over 100 miles an hour from his arm.  didn't know he was that big into other sporting activities

That delivery didnt seem quick but the clock dont lie… theres a clip on Youtube where he let one go, went over the batsman and ‘keeper, bounced once and over the boundary rope it went. That looked a hellava lot quicker than anything ive ever seen!

the girls must like his flexible elbow i reckon Shebeen? ????

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, justinafrika said:

4 SA spinners bowled 40 overs with the most expensive at an economy rate of just 4.1.  Remarkable.

From espncricinfo:

"Also the first time that South Africa have bowled 40 overs of spin, seven more overs than their previous record of 33"

And then our batsmen failed the bowlers drastically. We should've been able to get to 204 with relative ease. That said well played Sri Lanka on defending such a meagre target and with it the series. Stops a series of ODI series wins for us over there. 

51 minutes ago, Mntboy said:

And then our batsmen failed the bowlers drastically. We should've been able to get to 204 with relative ease. That said well played Sri Lanka on defending such a meagre target and with it the series. Stops a series of ODI series wins for us over there. 

Pehlukwayo for me is a weak link at 6/7. He has consistently underperformed as our so-called all rounder, with both bat and ball. That being said, not many have done much to get excited about. Markram is also not scoring the runs he should given his obvious talent. Im not even surprised we are in a position where we might fail to qualify for the 50 over WC. 

What irks me even more is that we just heard a full scale tour of England for next year, but why do we keep on getting 3 match test series??? (We all know why, still it just pisses me off). 

Edited by gemmerbal

5 hours ago, gemmerbal said:

Pehlukwayo for me is a weak link at 6/7. He has consistently underperformed as our so-called all rounder, with both bat and ball. That being said, not many have done much to get excited about. Markram is also not scoring the runs he should given his obvious talent. Im not even surprised we are in a position where we might fail to qualify for the 50 over WC. 

What irks me even more is that we just heard a full scale tour of England for next year, but why do we keep on getting 3 match test series??? (We all know why, still it just pisses me off). 

My 2cs on the highlighted portions: 

Andile has at times shown glimpses of being a capable international allrounder but hasn't really made good on that and as you point out he wasn't the only one on this tour in particular. Markram's improved from his previous tour. I think there's still aspects he is working out and devising plans for. We were also missing three players who might've made a difference in QdK, Miller and Ngidi. So perhaps the balance of the team got thrown out a bit as well. And then losing Bavuma during the first game didn't help things either. I don't think our issue is a talent one but rather team balance and skills application thing. Boucher still has a lot of work to do with this team. We could seriously do with another Bob Woolmer type coach!

Simply put we just don't put bums on seats. So ja, economics giving us a spanking there unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Mntboy said:

My 2cs on the highlighted portions: 

Andile has at times shown glimpses of being a capable international allrounder but hasn't really made good on that and as you point out he wasn't the only one on this tour in particular. Markram's improved from his previous tour. I think there's still aspects he is working out and devising plans for. We were also missing three players who might've made a difference in QdK, Miller and Ngidi. So perhaps the balance of the team got thrown out a bit as well. And then losing Bavuma during the first game didn't help things either. I don't think our issue is a talent one but rather team balance and skills application thing. Boucher still has a lot of work to do with this team. We could seriously do with another Bob Woolmer type coach!

Simply put we just don't put bums on seats. So ja, economics giving us a spanking there unfortunately.

we keep hearing the same thing: we need to work on our mental approach bla bla bla...

this is what happens when you have a k_k domestic structure where the guys aren't being tested and you reward mediocrity. in the days of Currie Cup cricket, of the 6 provincial sides playing cricket back then, ALL of those players were of international quality. heck they had to make a 7th team in the Impalas just to give more guys a chance to play! think back to when we were reinstated in the international arena, how many of the players playing provincial cricket back then were kicking the door down to be in the Protea team; guys scoring 1500 runs a season and taking 100 wickets couldn't make the team! when last did you see a first class cricketer score 1500 runs or take a 100 wickets in a season?

the chickens are here, and I hear them roosting.

5 hours ago, gemmerbal said:

we keep hearing the same thing: we need to work on our mental approach bla bla bla...

this is what happens when you have a k_k domestic structure where the guys aren't being tested and you reward mediocrity. in the days of Currie Cup cricket, of the 6 provincial sides playing cricket back then, ALL of those players were of international quality. heck they had to make a 7th team in the Impalas just to give more guys a chance to play! think back to when we were reinstated in the international arena, how many of the players playing provincial cricket back then were kicking the door down to be in the Protea team; guys scoring 1500 runs a season and taking 100 wickets couldn't make the team! when last did you see a first class cricketer score 1500 runs or take a 100 wickets in a season?

the chickens are here, and I hear them roosting.

According to Wikipedia (I know the objections you might raise with that) nobody has done that in our main domestic 4 day comp. Rilee Rossouw has the most runs for a season at 1189 and Vasbert Drakes once took 60 wickets in a season. Both Rilee and Vasbert went on to play International Cricket with varying degrees of success. The records listed makes for interesting reading and it seems that making 800 plus runs a season isn't an easy feat unless your name is Barry Richards. Ditto taking 50 plus wickets a season unless your name is Mike Proctor. 

All that said, I do agree with the point your making with regards to our domestic system and the need for a strong comp to produce good, well rounded cricketers.

9 hours ago, Mntboy said:

According to Wikipedia (I know the objections you might raise with that) nobody has done that in our main domestic 4 day comp. Rilee Rossouw has the most runs for a season at 1189 and Vasbert Drakes once took 60 wickets in a season. Both Rilee and Vasbert went on to play International Cricket with varying degrees of success. The records listed makes for interesting reading and it seems that making 800 plus runs a season isn't an easy feat unless your name is Barry Richards. Ditto taking 50 plus wickets a season unless your name is Mike Proctor. 

All that said, I do agree with the point your making with regards to our domestic system and the need for a strong comp to produce good, well rounded cricketers.

touche, I think you have me on one or two points, specifically with regards to the bowling (I might have been referencing club stats from when I was still playing league cricket, I remember Ryan Ten Doeschate scoring 1200 runs and taking close to 100 wickets in a season and not making the provincial side, nevertheless my point of reference was incorrect - my best season I only managed 60 odd so no wonder why I am a nobody)

scoring a 1000 runs however is not so uncommon. Neil Mack scored 1300 runs in a season without getting a chance in the Protea side. Finally found a website to give runs per season ( I still dont know how to fine tune ESPNCricinfo's stats feature).

image.png.64e0249bc86b99504e7a1dc9a1533c68.png

image.png.9134054e6864dd8e9dd7bfb6f6fdf5aa.png

https://stats.acscricket.com/Records/First_Class/Overall/Batting/Most_Runs_in_Season_in_South_Africa.html

https://stats.acscricket.com/Records/First_Class/Overall/Bowling/Most_Wickets_in_Season_in_South_Africa.html

In my opinion we have 2 world class T20 batsmen that are not in that side as well as an aging leggie who's pretty damn good. Not too many players in that side are world class. Politics rules.  

I do hope that they prove me wrong.

1 hour ago, gemmerbal said:

touche, I think you have me on one or two points, specifically with regards to the bowling (I might have been referencing club stats from when I was still playing league cricket, I remember Ryan Ten Doeschate scoring 1200 runs and taking close to 100 wickets in a season and not making the provincial side, nevertheless my point of reference was incorrect - my best season I only managed 60 odd so no wonder why I am a nobody)

scoring a 1000 runs however is not so uncommon. Neil Mack scored 1300 runs in a season without getting a chance in the Protea side. Finally found a website to give runs per season ( I still dont know how to fine tune ESPNCricinfo's stats feature).

https://stats.acscricket.com/Records/First_Class/Overall/Batting/Most_Runs_in_Season_in_South_Africa.html

https://stats.acscricket.com/Records/First_Class/Overall/Bowling/Most_Wickets_in_Season_in_South_Africa.html

Alastair gray got 1281 runs in a season? in between making running gear?! some of the first class games in our expanded franchise system were a bit weak I'm sure.

42 minutes ago, Dusty said:

In my opinion we have 2 world class T20 batsmen that are not in that side as well as an aging leggie who's pretty damn good. Not too many players in that side are world class. Politics rules.  

I do hope that they prove me wrong.

Obviously it was never going to happen but imagine if we could add in"

AB probably still the best T20 batsman in the world

Faf - 2nd highest run scorer latest IPL

Chris morris - most expensive IPL player ever.

Tahir I'm not so sure about, shamzi has really taken his opportunity well.

I'm gobsmacked that Chris Morris still gets shafted. He was easily our bets player in the last 50over world cup, yet never played another game. We are so desperate for allrounders in this team and this oke can't even get a look in.

2 hours ago, Shebeen said:

Alastair gray got 1281 runs in a season? in between making running gear?! some of the first class games in our expanded franchise system were a bit weak I'm sure.

Obviously it was never going to happen but imagine if we could add in"

AB probably still the best T20 batsman in the world

Faf - 2nd highest run scorer latest IPL

Chris morris - most expensive IPL player ever.

Tahir I'm not so sure about, shamzi has really taken his opportunity well.

I'm gobsmacked that Chris Morris still gets shafted. He was easily our bets player in the last 50over world cup, yet never played another game. We are so desperate for allrounders in this team and this oke can't even get a look in.

Chris Morris… i dont know what CSA have against him. ABD, that topic is exhausted, if he wanted to play for SA he would never have stopped playing for us. 

Of the guys available, that squad looks ok’ish. But I dont expect much from them if im honest. 

6 hours ago, gemmerbal said:

Tendo has been an amazingly consistent cricketer for the various teams he has represented and still going strong over in the UK. A very fine allrounder. Probably the best to have not played at Test level. 

Was trying to access Statsguru as well but struggled due to the ship's slow WiFi. Didn't take the Wikipedia article as an exhaustive or authoritative list. Will have a look at the links provided because I remember that Dale Benkenstein used to be a regular heavy contributor to the Dolphin's cause when he played for them.

14 hours ago, gemmerbal said:

Chris Morris… i dont know what CSA have against him. ABD, that topic is exhausted, if he wanted to play for SA he would never have stopped playing for us. 

Of the guys available, that squad looks ok’ish. But I dont expect much from them if im honest. 

Apparently Morris made himself unavailable for selection ????‍♂️