MTB n00b needs some bike advice

Dean_NUR

Hi,

Looking to purchase my first MTB. Only done 1 race and I enjoyed it, I think :D

So before I bore everyone with my beginner questions, is there a "Buying an MTB 101" thread somewhere I'm not seeing? Basic advice on what is what and when you should take X over Y and why some people use Z etc... If not there here is my situation:

I will hopefully have ~R14000 to spend on a Bike + Accessories. I'm looking for a softail.

I would like to know:

- Should I purchase a new complete bike or get a 2nd hand bike?

- Any specified thing/brand I should be looking for? Heard you get different "sets" etc...

- Tubeless, slime and liners? Benifits and which should I get?

- How many gears are preferable or is there a standard?

- Should I import a complete bike from CRC or will customs kill any sort of saving on a bike?

Any advice would be apprecited!

Thanks!

Guest Omega Man

14k buys you a nice new bike.

everyone will push "their" brand but i think merida and those types of brands have the best bang for the buck

you will pay 15% import plus vat from CRC so buy local. check out obike.co.za. They do GT, cannondale and mongoose.

29 = G.A.Y.

14k buys you a nice new bike.

everyone will push "their" brand but i think merida and those types of brands have the best bang for the buck

you will pay 15% import plus vat from CRC so buy local. check out obike.co.za. They do GT, cannondale and mongoose.

29 = G.A.Y.

Agree - there are some good deals on obike at the moment, bought the wife`s Cannondale from them.

Hi,

Looking to purchase my first MTB. Only done 1 race and I enjoyed it, I think :D

So before I bore everyone with my beginner questions, is there a "Buying an MTB 101" thread somewhere I'm not seeing? Basic advice on what is what and when you should take X over Y and why some people use Z etc... If not there here is my situation:

I will hopefully have ~R14000 to spend on a Bike + Accessories. I'm looking for a softail.

I would like to know:

- Any specified thing/brand I should be looking for? Heard you get different "sets" etc...

- Should I import a complete bike from CRC or will customs kill any sort of saving on a bike?

Thanks!

For me it is even more important where I am buying the bike. For your 14k you are buying a relationship with a bike shop too. Make sure the shop has a good reputation and that its someone that is going to be around for a while (not always possible to know this, but there are sure signs).

Any come-backs on components is a real probability and your bike shop needs to be batting for you if anything needs to go back to the distributors (shock, wheels and frame in particular).

Pick something that suites your riding style, whether its hardtail or duel suspension, 26 or 29 inch is almost a side issue. On gearing you'll get guys pushing SRAM and others pushing shimano. Shimano SLX or SRAM X9 will both be adequite. If you have a choice, rather upgrade your frame, shock, wheels or brakes (in that order). Groupsets wear out and can be upgraded when you need to have some components replaced.

Most importantly: Enjoy your ride.

"I would like to know:

Thanks! "

hi, my 2cents:

"- Should I purchase a new complete bike or get a 2nd hand bike?"-

I think if you take your time and shop around, youll get a MUCH better bike 2nd hand than new, dual-suspension for 14k will probably get you shimano slx or sram x7 groupset at best, and the manufacturers always skimp on some of the parts of new bikes to bring the price down... i have bought 3 2nd hand bikes and NOT 1 problem, because i really did my homework on them.

"Any specified thing/brand I should be looking for? Heard you get different "sets" etc..."-

The only thing that differs on the brands of the bikes, are the frames, the rest of the parts like groupset/wheels/shock/etc are from the same factories on ALL the bike brands..SRAM is SRAM and FOX is FOX on all the bikes..so ja...

"Tubeless, slime and liners? Benifits and which should I get?"

In the bicycling magazine was an article of the 10 or something ALL TIME best improvements in cycling...tubeless tires was like 2nd or something just after Suspension forks for mtb....tubeless is the only way, a bit more money on the initial tire, but 99% of the "would've been punctures" are never heard of with tubeless

" How many gears are preferable or is there a standard?"

depending on your budget, i have 9 speed and just got new 9 and 10 speed groupsets for next year, the 10 speed is a bit more pricey and you save like 150grams on a set..but dont think for us "regulars" there is no real difference

"Should I import a complete bike from CRC or will customs kill any sort of saving on a bike?'"

support the locals i think, there are many good deals in SA, 2nd hand or new, go local. My training partner got nailed with taxes last year on a bike from evanscycles in the uk, more than 30% tax on the price....

thats my view on it.. most important, this sport can take over your life, and hopefully it does..its awesome!! good luck and enjoy every pedal-stroke

Thanks for all the advice and tips everyone! Will start looking around!

If you are not in a rush to buy- keep a eye on the classifieds here on theHub. THere's real good deals every now and then- although I'd advise you to ask someone "knowledgable" on the price vs what you get before you buy "someone else's problems".

14k sounds like a lot, but once you start spending on shoes and pedals (1.5k) and a helmet (1k) and go tubeless and bottles, cages, bar-ends (on a flat bar) and Ezi grips, that 14k can become sub 10k very fast.

Anyway, all the best and keep the rubber side down :thumbup:

PS someone decided building a relationship with a LBS- in my situation it has worked seeing as the more i spend the cheaper it gets. SOme peeps don't like spending too much at one shop. Whatever float your boat :D

I am pretty much in the same boat as you, just starting out. I bought myself a new bike for half the price you are looking at spending and so far so good. Here is my logic: Bought a giant Talon 29er (I know you are looking for a softail but bear with me ), great bke, low-end compenents and by all accounts a really shite fork, BUT, fact remains at this stage bike in standard form is better than I am. As I get better, will either start upgrading components or looking at "better" bikes etc,

Just a thought, use it, dont use it...

Good luck