Lightest 29er wheelset

AuctionLamb

Hi guys

What is the best 29er wheel set under 1500grams I can buy? Want to try and shave off some weight so want to hear what is out there.

Is building up a pair of wheels better?

All road wheels are 29" , so you have a big choice. There is no free lunch so you will loose a bit of strenght for the weight advantage

All road wheels are 29" , so you have a big choice. There is no free lunch so you will loose a bit of strenght for the weight advantage

I weigh 64 kg... :D

So it means I am not as hard on the wheels like the average 80kg MTBer! :D

Edited by AuctionLamb

Try FRM-wheels: www.frmbike.biz

These products are exclusively available at Bruce Reyneke Cycles

FRM

Look for XMD-333 rims, Urano hubs and build with Sapim spokes

Hi guys

What is the best 29er wheel set under 1500grams I can buy? Want to try and shave off some weight so want to hear what is out there.

Is building up a pair of wheels better?

Find a good wheel builder and ask him this question and what they can do for you. (Mr Bornman on this list or a place like Williams bike shop, Bowmans Cycles - Shane and then of course Epic Bikes .... all CT builders other than that yellow saddle fellow we have come to know on the Hub)

H

I build a set for a customer that weighed 670 front and 785 rear.

The components were Crest, Sapim Laser and Rotaz (American Classic knock-offs) hubs.

I thought they were far too flimsy for the real world but apparently they're still in use.

The lost weight has to come off somewhere and taking meat off the already light Crest is impossible. Lighter spokes cannot be hand for love or money, so that leaves the hub. What would you like to leave off?

American Classics are bringing out a Race Wheelset for 2012 at 1420g. And I am sure it's a tubeless rim without the rim strip hassles.

Still need to use tape.

I love their wheel sets, great stuff :thumbup:

Still need to use tape.

I love their wheel sets, great stuff :thumbup:

That's a pity. The shimano's and crank brothers have got the right idea with proper tubeless rims. I know Easton 2012 is also tubeless rims without the tape.

But I believe the AM's are very descent wheels. And they look the business as well.

So I recon the 1420g for the Wheels exclude the tape.

How much R for the Enve wheels (correct spelling?)? I hear they are super expensive?

What is the problem with the tape, I never ever had any problems with my tubeless tape.

Edited by koukie