When to quit?

emiljs

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My suggestion would be to forget about a target time. Get out there and enjoy it. The body is capable of plenty. Youll make it, but.......

If you plan on losing 1kg per day until then save yourself the trip. The DC will break you. It is not healthy to lose weight at such a rate, you will stuff your system up.

Treat it like a lekker long ride, the miles will be worth it later on. Your prep didnt go according to plan, so your targets also need to be adjusted.

om kg per dag te verloor is nie gesond nie.dis hier waar dit beter is om eerder 'n lewende hond te wees as 'n dooie leeu.

go for it. take photo's before, during and after. ensure someone can upload to darwinawards posthumously.

Most of the training programmes I've seen peaks about 3 - 4 weaks before the event.

Yeah mostly but 3 weeks before the time to have a peak 1, peak 2 and then race week. Before that you have your build weeks...

Guys, thanks for all the valuable input. I was expecting something like this. :D My mind also tells me I am embarking on a crazy thing; but for me to quit is a complete no-no.

I am following the Atkins diet. High protein; low carbs and no snacking. During training I eat well to ensure that I don't bomb-out. My plan is to really carbo load on the Thursday and Friday before the event.

If my body feels completely overexerted during training I might adapt the plan, rest more and cycle less.

I think I'll update this post daily for those interested to find out how everything pans out in the end. If I crash and burn or finish in the first six of my team.

I consulted a doctor before I started cycling again; so I do not fall completely in the Darwin awards category. :)

I agree with everyone above on the 1kg per day diet. Dude, just being on a diet like that will leave you without energy anyway. You cannot possibly train three hours and feel good on the bike, when on a diet like that. That heart rate through the roof you see, that's what your body does when you bonk. And bonk is when there are zero carbs to run your system. I do not agree with the lots of veggies recommendation above, but try sticking to low carb, especially low GI from now until Wednesday next week if you still feel the need to lose weight. It is not recommended to lose weight in the last few weeks before a big race anyway.

Now back to your training. Forget about getting fit now. Way too late for that. Taper from now to mid next week, then rest. You mentioned that you can do a sub 3 Argus. When did you last do this? If you did in 2011, you might just have a sporting chance to finish the DC in 7ish hours. But, you will need to ride in the middle of the bunch. Preferably get a teammate/s to push you a bit up the hills. Eat like there's no tomorrow on the day of the DC. Every stop, pig out and stay hydrated. And most of all, pace yourself - If the team loses time due to whatever (puncture/crash etc.) do not try to make up the lost time.

Anyone that can ride an Argus in under 3hours can do a DC without any special training IMHO. But you will need to take it easy on the day. Good luck.

I have lost plenty of weight using the same system. It still leaves you pap.Forget about the weight loss, concentrate on finishing.Remember the last 30km. STOP THE DIET :angry:

Hi Guys

I need help! The DC is 10 days away and I am far from ready as I am now.

Saturday I weighed 97. My aim is 88. DC time aim: +-7 hours. I can do a Argus in sub 3 when I am really fit.

This year has been a particular bad year for me in respect to injuries and illness. I broke my shoulder about 15 weeks ago in a MTB event. As soon as I was able to use my arm again I caught a monster of a flue which kept me off the bike for another month. I climbed on the bike the first time again on Saturday 12/11. I am also following a strict diet now. I am loosing about 1 kg a day currently.

My training plan:

Saturday 12/11 105km by myself (I almost died of exhaustion - Was still coughing)

Tuesday 15/11 3 hour ride (Very weak in the climbs - Heart rate through the roof)

Wed 16/11 3 hour ride

Thurs 17/11 3 hour ride

Fri 18/11 Rest

Satur 19/11 6 hour ride

Sun 20/11 Rest

Mon 21/11 3 hour ride

Tues 22/11 3 hour ride

Wed 23/11 3 hour ride

Thurs 24/11 - 25/11 Rest

Would this schedule help at all, or am I fooling myself and delaying the inevitable result that I would not be ready??

Thanks for your input.

Geeez, you are going to if not already out yourself into a total fatigue zone, no ways you can perform on that you are totally overdoing it.

I only ride 3-4 times a week, 4 every alternate week, where is speed work, hill focussed sessions, some interval rides, this program is not good, u really need to speak to someone who can guide u properly, would love to help, but currently i am so overloaded and DC is around the corner, my recommendation speak to a good friend of mine Donovan van Gelder www.cybercoach.co.za he was a pro cyclist raced in Europe for many years.

all the best

M

Geeez, you are going to if not already out yourself into a total fatigue zone, no ways you can perform on that you are totally overdoing it.

I only ride 3-4 times a week, 4 every alternate week, where is speed work, hill focussed sessions, some interval rides, this program is not good, u really need to speak to someone who can guide u properly, would love to help, but currently i am so overloaded and DC is around the corner, my recommendation speak to a good friend of mine Donovan van Gelder www.cybercoach.co.za he was a pro cyclist raced in Europe for many years.

all the best

M

Thanks for the advice MDW. I'll see if I can get hold of Donovan.

my training program:

monday: rest

tuesday: rest

wednesday:rest

thursday: rest

friday: possibly ride but mostly rest

saturday: ride!:)

sunday: maybe ride..

best one ever! :clap:

I once went on a diet like that. You eat a piece of dodgy chicken on the first day. From the second or third day onwards, you lose about 1kg per day until around the 9th day.

:lol: :lol:

Guys, thanks for all the valuable input. I was expecting something like this. :D My mind also tells me I am embarking on a crazy thing; but for me to quit is a complete no-no.

I am following the Atkins diet. High protein; low carbs and no snacking. During training I eat well to ensure that I don't bomb-out. My plan is to really carbo load on the Thursday and Friday before the event.

If my body feels completely overexerted during training I might adapt the plan, rest more and cycle less.

I think I'll update this post daily for those interested to find out how everything pans out in the end. If I crash and burn or finish in the first six of my team.

I consulted a doctor before I started cycling again; so I do not fall completely in the Darwin awards category. :)

Keep this thread updated?

:)

I sincerely hope you do have a good ride!

You are putting in a fair bit of effort, that should be rewarded. I also respect that you aren't quitting and respect that you've chatted to a Doc and taken the time to thrash out ideas on this forum.

Keep us posted!