WHY NOW!!??!! my first 94.7

L.T.G

I've never done the 94.7 Road event, because quite frankly I felt I'd be robbing myself of MTB'ing time...

However, this year i was introduced to the world of SingleSpeeds and landed up converting my old hardtail.

And I've been having an absolute blast on it, to the point where i decided I'd like to attempt the 94.7 on it....

and then what happens on Monday ......

even in this heat and with major preventative measures in place (:thumbdown:)...

Runny nose, sore throat,congestion, coughing (lungs feel like they're lined with sandpaper):angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

WHY NOW!!!!????

I haven't planned on a specific time or anything like that, just to be able to do it on my SS and experience the famous vibe of the event....

Corenza C, ACC200, cough syrups, Andolex, a Vit B12 injection(yesterday and another this Friday) and as much fluid as possible.. will it be enough

Am I fooling myself? will I be doing more harm (to my body) then good(to my cycling addiction) if I go ahead with this?:unsure:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, check your resting heart rate. If it is higher then what it is suppose to be then dont do it.

Other "NO-GO" signs are fever and sore limbs/wrists and sore eyes.

In case of any of the above dont do it...

In case that it is absolutely only your head then its fine -- actually it should clear up after a few Km's during the race but then dont complaint if you get the flu afterwards!!

If the symptoms are above and incl your throat...you can chance it but still take it easy, if its below(in your chest and muscles), its a definite big no. But hey I am no doc...

Sounds like me...I pulled a muscle during the MTB Challenge last weekend, but desperately want to ride this weekend.

Its only on Sunday, so if you still feel k@k on saturday afternoon, rather call it quits and live to ride another single track on your single speed. As a bonus, at least you won't have to see blokes in white lycra smuggling budgies!

Best of luck!

Hope to see you there!

Edited by Smolster

Thanks for the advice and support guys...

divernick is right, it's the right thing to do.. or rather not to do ... but I've really been looking forward to it so much....

I think I'm going to do as Smolster said, see how I'm feeling by Sat and judge from there...

Edited by L.T.G

on a different note... would it be faux pas to not wear baggies on a SS?

can't imagine that distance without decent padding..

Edited by L.T.G

Padded riding baggies by FOX are my favourite.

I nominate a SS code:

- Baggies

- Sleeveless t-shirt / riding jersey

- Hairy legs

- Camelback

- Nobby tires

- Overtake as many other riders as you can up the steepest hills

(Specially for me: make sure chainring bolts are tight. (I'll never make that mistake again))

I did Argus one year after being sick earlier in the week. Felt hundreds by friday already.

But alas, I think the baboons on Chappies are still feasting on all the Hawaian pizza that I donated.

Don't do it.

Think of it like this:

If it is a virus, the increased heart rate enables the virus to travel all over your body fast enough so that the antibodies don't have enough time to fight it. So it can spread way quicker.

Worst case scenario is it affects your heart muscle, then you get seriously sick, can do lasting damage and even put your life in danger.

If it was a training ride it'd be a different story. But it isn't. When in doubt go see a doc.

I did Argus one year after being sick earlier in the week. Felt hundreds by friday already.

But alas, I think the baboons on Chappies are still feasting on all the Hawaian pizza that I donated.

Don't do it.

Think of it like this:

If it is a virus, the increased heart rate enables the virus to travel all over your body fast enough so that the antibodies don't have enough time to fight it. So it can spread way quicker.

Worst case scenario is it affects your heart muscle, then you get seriously sick, can do lasting damage and even put your life in danger.

If it was a training ride it'd be a different story. But it isn't. When in doubt go see a doc.

Sorry, repost. Stoopid BB.

Anyhoo... When on the SS you have to ride in Baggies.

I wear a No Fear baggie over my bibs. Decent padding, that doesn't move, and the NF baggie stays put like a fat politician on the gravy train.

I am on day three in bed, with similar stuff. My doc has put me on heavy antibiotics and reckons i will be okay. He even says a light ride on friday would be okay.

I am on day three in bed, with similar stuff. My doc has put me on heavy antibiotics and reckons i will be okay. He even says a light ride on friday would be okay.