Anyone riding an 11-27 Ultegra/105?

capeofstorms

Hi,

The above configuration does not come standard in the Ultegra or 105 range. Only Dura Ace comes in an 11-27 (Very suprising). Thought of building an Ultrgra/105 version but I'm told the sprockets are not sold loose.

Standard 7900 configuration 11 12 13 14 15 17 19 21 24 27

Standard 6600 configuration: 12 13 14 15 16 17 19 21 24 27

Was thinking of dropping the 16T on the Ultegra and adding an 11T to mimmick the Dura Ace. For some reason the sprockets are not sold loose and you can't find the 6600 anymore.

i was advised by my lbs that mixing and matching sprockets may affect shifting - the sprockets on a given cassette are apparently specially designed to be sync'ed.

now, i'm a sceptic and this sounds like marketing BS, but i'm also not prepared to fork out several hundred bucks to test a theory.

in any event, cwc has an ultegra 11-28

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/shimano-ultegra-6700-10spd-cassette

I've always wondered. If you really need a 27, what the hell are you going to do with an 11?

It seems quite a few of the new bikes that come with Compact cranks have 11/28 cassettes on...

Just cause they're supplying what people want doesn't make it right ;)

(oh, and FFS! A 28 and a compact crank? Why bother? Walking will be quicker.)

Edited by TNT1

I used a Ultegra 6700 11-28 on a short cage DA dérailleur and it works fine.With a 39/53 crank ;)

CRC have stock.

Edited by gummibear

I've always wondered. If you really need a 27, what the hell are you going to do with an 11?

a 60kg waif will never understand...

big guys need the 27 to get over the hills and the 11 to catch the little suckers on the descents. i should know (although i settle for a 25) :D

Edited by the (other) Nuge

Hi,

I have also just fitted a 11/28 with a standard 53/39 crank. Works fine and there is always a gear to suit what ever mood you are in.

Regards

Sarge

It seems quite a few of the new bikes that come with Compact cranks have 11/28 cassettes on...

Doesn't matter what crank is used ~ 28's are for noobs, those recovering from knee injuries, and wimps. No exceptions.

Doesn't matter what crank is used ~ 28's are for noobs, those recovering from knee injuries, and wimps. No exceptions.

Hey! You try climbing Kloof Nek with an extra 20kg strapped to your tummy :rolleyes: !!!

a 60kg waif will never understand...

big guys need the 27 to get over the hills and the 11 to catch the little suckers on the descents. i should know (although i settle for a 25) :D

That was well put! That's the beginning and end of all the clever things to say on this thread

Hey! You try climbing Kloof Nek with an extra 20kg strapped to your tummy :rolleyes: !!!

OK, my mistake. Let me correct my comment:

28's are for noobs, those recovering from knee injuries, wimps and fatties.

:P :P :P

a 28 on a 53 is like a Monopoly "get out of Jail free" card

But on a bigger "Front" chainring, it's like Shell Helix on a Ferrari :nuke:

Edited by Nickzta

Hi,

The above configuration does not come standard in the Ultegra or 105 range. Only Dura Ace comes in an 11-27 (Very suprising). Thought of building an Ultrgra/105 version but I'm told the sprockets are not sold loose.

Standard 7900 configuration 11 12 13 14 15 17 19 21 24 27

Standard 6600 configuration: 12 13 14 15 16 17 19 21 24 27

Was thinking of dropping the 16T on the Ultegra and adding an 11T to mimmick the Dura Ace. For some reason the sprockets are not sold loose and you can't find the 6600 anymore.

Hey Dude!!!

I just wanted to ask you why you were thinking of doing this???

What do you want to achieve?

Hi,

As the previous poster stated. More rpm's on the climbs and a little bit extra omnthe upper end (flats) using an 11. I'm tall and weigh 87kg and not exactly young. Have been doing well on the standard 53/39 and 12-25 thus far, but cannot compete with someone weighing 70kg. From a physiology standpoint the lowest in terms of which I could/should allow my weight to drop is about 79kg. Even then I will look emaciated.

Find it difficlut to compete with the youger guys on the climbs. In the interim, I have done a bit of calculations ans I'm thinking of keeping the 12-25 and going compact. This is what I've calculated

Going compact 50/34 with the same 12-25 will give me a 16.1% increase in rpm's on the same % incline. e.g if you were doing 62 rpm with 53/25, you will do 73 rpm with a 50/25. You will lose 6.1% on the upper end 53/12 vs 50/12, but can easliy be compensated for this by upping my cadence on a flat (for me this would mean upping it by 6 rpm)

The 53 x39 and 11-28 would give me an 11.29% gain in the lower gears, but I would then have to compromise on wider gear shifts in the middle.

So for me at least I think it is a done deal. Compact it must be