29er - Hardtail or Full Suspension

semisub

After many years of being a roadie I have decided to invest in a moutain bike and want to order a 29er. Now the question is, do a get a hardtail or full suspension? I am a rather large guy at 102kg and have been told that heavier guys like myself should rather go with full suspension bike, but then again, others have advised that the larger wheels produce a smoother ride and a hardtail is perfect.

Are there any larger chaps out there who have done some stage races on a 29er who can give me some feedback?

Hard Tail will be good. if youre a racer the hard tail is probably more of the way to go (saw a lot more HTs on epic and such) it all depends on what youre willing to pay.

Personally i would get a full susser and I'm lightweight (just over 60)but that's just my personal preference as i prefer going down a lot more than going up :)

Go speak to Lance at the Epic Bike Shop 087 802 5959

He is the boss when it comes to 29ers and he stocks the best of them.

Try and ride both. A hardtail is just that, hard. A big guy like you should enjoy the comfort of a rear shock..

After many years of being a roadie I have decided to invest in a moutain bike and want to order a 29er. Now the question is, do a get a hardtail or full suspension? I am a rather large guy at 102kg and have been told that heavier guys like myself should rather go with full suspension bike, but then again, others have advised that the larger wheels produce a smoother ride and a hardtail is perfect.

Are there any larger chaps out there who have done some stage races on a 29er who can give me some feedback?

Did Sani2C on a 29er hardtail - great fun, but I would have been able to spend more time on the saddle with FS than I did with HT. I weighed 95kg's at the time. FS would be my suggestion.

As you're coming from a roadie background I would suggest going with the dual suspension. One of the greatest benefits of the shock on the back is that it means more contact with the rubber and the ground on the back wheel, instead of the wheel bouncing across technical sections.

I am about your weight - it is not really about the weight though.

A FS allows you to sit longer as you do not need to use your legs as a suspension.

If you are going to do stage racers (or 24hr rides - Baviaans/ desert Dash) then a FS is needed, it reduces your leg stress and this helps recovery (never mind the butt). for a while I had a 26" HT, and when I went to a 29er FS, the reduced stress on a hard training ride was noticeable.

KEEEEEREKT decision. I have a Niner Air Nine Carbon and just got the (1st in SA) Silverback Mercuty Elite 29er FS) CHALK & CHEESE. For smooth trails the HT is OK but MAN, is that FS comfortable. Just sold my Merida 96 3000D 26" full susser as the 29er is so much better. But, this is very much a personal choice. I am 56, 105kg and don't bounce well anymore. I am also selling my 26" HT.

If you're looking at doing stage races your focus should be on comfort rather than speed as you will be spending a lot of time in the saddle. HT 29ers are fast, but nothing compares to a 29er FS when it comes to being comfortable in the saddle after 5 or 6 hours.

Rode the Berg and Bush with not much training on a 29er hardtail. Was broken. Am going to get a 29er dualie for next year and also do a bit more training. Hard tail is fine for weekend riding, but when racing over a few days, it wears you out. New Lynskey 29er dual on the cards early next year!