Seeking contacts in Port Elizabeth area for 2012 Ironman South Africa

sciguy

My wife is competing in IMSA 2012 as her 14th Ironman. We will be arriving in Port Elizabeth April 1st 2012 and would love to establish some local contacts near Port Elizabeth long before we head there. We live in the cold and snowy part to the north eastern USA and are excited to be able to come to the area 3 weeks before the race and enjoy for fine fall weather.

We would like to find locals interested in training as well as other social activities.This is our first trip to Africa so we are trying to make the most of it.

Both of us are in our late 50s but act younger as most athletes do. Denise has raced on 7 different North American courses including 4 times to Kona so we have a decent bit of experience at this that we would be glad to share should you be interested in ever coming to the USA to race. I pride myself on being a semi-professional Ironman sherpa and enjoying biking and running but not the swimming end of things.

Let us know if you'd be willing to act as an information resource for this adventure. We have our flights all lined up and a potential accommodation for the month of April. If you or a friend have a downstairs flat you'd like to rent for the moth of April we would be interested in that as well.

Best Regards,

Hugh Mason & Denise Everitt

Marion, NY USA

sciguy@rochester.rr.com

There are quite a few guys on here from PE.

You can PM Benniedikwiel he owns a Hotel that is close to the Ironman cycle and in a very nice area to train.

It's far from the start but you can book a hotel closer for the night before.

Welcome to the Hub

If you decide to visit Cape Town PM me and I'll take you for an amazing ride along the most beautiful coastline in the world...

post-3227-0-22959800-1321632653.jpg

Edited by Eraser

I lived in PE my whole life and would love to give you any information you need. I am currently living in Cape Town, but can tell you much of what you want to know, specifically about the course, condition, etc. I come from a Tri background.

I spent last season in the USA and was very welcomed there by the locals who helped me out greatly in getting hooked up with a contract so I would love to be able to give something back.

Let me know!

but can tell you much of what you want to know, specifically about the course, condition, etc. I come from a Tri background.

Let me know!

How about a quick run down on the road surface of the IMSA bike course. We've heard mixed reviews about the potential for flats and want to be well prepared. I know that there is a significant variety of roughness within the loops and wonder if tires like Michelin Pro Race 3 or similar stand up to the surface. Do many athletes run sealant in their tires?

Thanks for the reply. We really appreciate all that have contacted us so far!

Hugh & Denise

Hi There, done 2 of them in PE no flats :clap: Tyres I used were Continental Gatorskins..not the lightest but bombproof. I also used slime in the tubes, Specialized have a pre-filled tube that works great. The extra weight is the peace of mind worth!!

The bike course is really not tough, nice and flat with some beautiful sections next to the ocean.

Good luck :thumbup:

The road surface is most rough asphault with a few smoother sections.Most potholes are fixed leading up to the race.The route is also fast and mostly flat,on the long section from the turn point back to the transition you can avg around 30km/h and hit speeds of 45 plus on the slight down hill sections.

I used tubbies this year and found with the high tyre pressures and the rough asphalt, I didn't have a smooth ride.

Sent from my MB525 using tapatalk

I used tubbies this year and found with the high tyre pressures and the rough asphalt, I didn't have a smooth ride.

Sent from my MB525 using tapatalk

Yes, high pressure in tires + rough asphalt = sore tender parts. We have some rough roads here due to frost heaving as well as "chip seal" surface treatment. Most flats seem to come from broken glass on the road edge or tiny rock chips that work their way through a tire over time.

We're really excited to be be able to make the trip to such a beautiful part of the world.

Hugh

How about a quick run down on the road surface of the IMSA bike course. We've heard mixed reviews about the potential for flats and want to be well prepared. I know that there is a significant variety of roughness within the loops and wonder if tires like Michelin Pro Race 3 or similar stand up to the surface. Do many athletes run sealant in their tires?

Thanks for the reply. We really appreciate all that have contacted us so far!

Hugh & Denise

Hi Hugh/Denise

The pavement does vary quite a bit throughout the course. The first 15km is very good pavement that is pretty smooth, with no potholes. This is also mostly a very gradual climb to the highest point in the race. The road then becomes relatively rough for the next 20km or so to the turnaround point and then to the first right turn, the kind of pavement that you will struggle to walk on with bare feet if you are a softy. None the less it is in good condition with no potholes.

Once you have turned right, left and right again the road starts to get slightly worse, with a good few bumps, but I would not say it is the kind you would typically get snake bites on. None-the-less, sticking to the centre od the road should avoid any problems. The road then improves, but back to a rough surface for the last 20km.

We raced for years on those roads and I can only remember 2-3 flats during racing, so no it is not that bad. I would not suggest going as far as riding gatorskins. They are slow tyres in any case. Seems if you have raced in Kona you are concerned about time, therefore defintely ride nice fast race tubbies and I would suggest you pump them to about 8.5-9 bar. Not harder cause the rough surface will put unneeded stress on your body. I think the time saved on riding a nice fast tyre will far outway the possible (but unlikely) time lost on a puncture repair. I would not waste time with slime. Cause any glass out on the course will be inside the yellow line and no amount of slime will help glass.

There are a few hard bumpy parts that may however launch a bottle from a rear seat mounted hydration system so I would suggest you purchase nice tight bottle cages with bottles to suit a tight fit. There is however plenty of water along the course.

Bit hint: Ride on the yellow painted line - the paint fills in most of the cavities and makes for a slightly faster ride. Old TT trick of mine.

Go check out google maps and go to street view and fly through course. If IM doesn;t provide map I will be glad to let you know street names. I will try and mark up a map by hand and maybe you can go check the course out before.

Hope this helps?

Edited by The_Break

Bit hint: Ride on the yellow painted line - the paint fills in most of the cavities and makes for a slightly faster ride. Old TT trick of mine.

Road now has cats eyes

Hi Hugh/Denise

The pavement does vary quite a bit throughout the course. The first 15km is very good pavement that is pretty smooth, with no potholes. This is also mostly a very gradual climb to the highest point in the race. The road then becomes relatively rough for the next 20km or so to the turnaround point and then to the first right turn, the kind of pavement that you will struggle to walk on with bare feet if you are a softy. None the less it is in good condition with no potholes.

Once you have turned right, left and right again the road starts to get slightly worse, with a good few bumps, but I would not say it is the kind you would typically get snake bites on. None-the-less, sticking to the centre od the road should avoid any problems. The road then improves, but back to a rough surface for the last 20km.

We raced for years on those roads and I can only remember 2-3 flats during racing, so no it is not that bad. I would not suggest going as far as riding gatorskins. They are slow tyres in any case. Seems if you have raced in Kona you are concerned about time, therefore defintely ride nice fast race tubbies and I would suggest you pump them to about 8.5-9 bar. Not harder cause the rough surface will put unneeded stress on your body. I think the time saved on riding a nice fast tyre will far outway the possible (but unlikely) time lost on a puncture repair. I would not waste time with slime. Cause any glass out on the course will be inside the yellow line and no amount of slime will help glass.

I rode Pro 3 race for a few races and did not liek them as they are soft. Most of the guys in PE ride Conti GP4000 or Conti Competitiion tubbies. Vittoria Corsa Evo a bit thin. Otherwise GP4000 or 4000S clinchers are a good choice for the course.

There are a few hard bumpy parts that may however launch a bottle from a rear seat mounted hydration system so I would suggest you purchase nice tight bottle cages with bottles to suit a tight fit. There is however plenty of water along the course.

Go check out google maps and go to street view and fly through course. If IM doesn;t provide map I will be glad to let you know street names. I will try and mark up a map by hand and maybe you can go check the course out before.

Hope this helps?

Road now has cats eyes

On the line? That is weird. When did they put them in. I left in July.