Air fork adjusting

Clinton1

Hi guys,

First up, please note I am new to this technical stuff so keep it basic :)

I bought a 2011 Silverback Phoenix and have ridden it every day since and love it but today it occurred to me that I have not taken the time to find out whether the front fork is correctly adjusted for my weight.

So, my question is how do you go about finding out what sort of pressure you should have in your air fork to suit your weight? As it currently stands I am only "using" about half the travel available.

Not sure if riding style counts for much but at the moment it has been fitness rides around my area. No hard core trail stuff yet but the odd pavement, pothole, root, bump etc. I will obviously not be jumping or doing 10m drop offs any time soon.

Where can I find advice on how to adjust, and more importantly, what to adjust it to.

Thanks

For XC:

Sitting normally on the bike should compress the fork approximately 30% of its total travel. So 100mm travel fork should have around about 6.5cm of useable stanchion sticking out.

Thats the rough standard guesstimation, from there its personal preference.

I run my 100mm manitou R-Seven a little softer though, just because I like it like that. (dunno why I like it, just do :P)

Yes, Google is wonderful and the resultant owners manual and exploded view are fascinating but a read through the entire manual resulted in me knowing where to find the valve and what the inside looked like but provided very little advice on what pressure I would require for my weight or what sort of travel I should aim for, and real life advice.

References to using Google always irk me a little as if we always referred to Google for our queries there would be little need for forums......

Oh, and this is my fork as per MY GOOGLE SEARCH prior to your advice to use it:

http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/dstore/products/Forks/3073/RAIDON/SF11-RAIDON+LO+air.html

Edited by Clint_ZA

For XC:

Sitting normally on the bike should compress the fork approximately 30% of its total travel. So 100mm travel fork should have around about 6.5cm of useable stanchion sticking out.

Thats the rough standard guesstimation, from there its personal preference.

I run my 100mm manitou R-Seven a little softer though, just because I like it like that. (dunno why I like it, just do :P)

My fork is definitely too stiff then as it currently does not compress at all, or very little, when I sit on it normally. I'm 78kg/172lb. The only time I get any sort of movement is if I push down on the fork with all my weight (and yes I have made sure it is not locked out :)) Maybe I'll let a little air out and see how it feels.

Found this in one of Suntour's manuals... doesnt say what fork it's for but there it is.

Yeah, I had also found that and wondered if it would apply to all Suntour air forks. Related to this the one manual I did read mentioned using a "fork pump" to check the pressure. Would you get by using a normal car tyre pressure gauge or even the air pumps at the garages?

Thanks.

Edited by Clint_ZA