Polar WIND Speed Sensor

flymango

My Speed WIND sensor is not showing a flashing light as the magnet passes. I’m almost sure the battery is flat. Can this be sent in for a new battery, or is a replacement unit necessary? Somebody said because it’s molded it needs to be replaced.

Edited by flymango

Yeah how stupid is that why do they mold/glue it together? In my older unit I alwyas replaced the battery myself. Someone at polar told me that you must buy a new unit, and a bikeshop told me they can replace the battery so still dont really know?

Edited by koukie

The light only flashes once or twice after a while of no activity. If it's not flashing does not mean the battery is flat. Are you still getting readings from it?

The light only flashes once or twice after a while of no activity. If it's not flashing does not mean the battery is flat. Are you still getting readings from it?

No. No readings. Definitely a battery. Unit says "Check Speed".

@Dazz thanks for the advice but the unit cannot be opened. It is a molded unit.

Can anybody confirm if a replacement battery is possible (sending it to Polar), or do you need to buy a new sensor?

@Dazz thanks for the advice but the unit cannot be opened. It is a molded unit.

Can anybody confirm if a replacement battery is possible (sending it to Polar), or do you need to buy a new sensor?

the unit can be opened with a thin blade and some firm pressure. I have opened a few and replaced their

batteries.

Edited by ThaStig

the unit can be opened with a thin blade and some firm pressure. I have opened a few and replaced their

batteries.

So they aren't 100% molded? How do you close it again? I'm assuming it doesn't have clamps/clips.

You can courier it back to Polar (Johannesburg). They will send you another one with a new battery already in and recondition your one for someone else. That way your chances of getting a waterproof undamaged, tested one is best. (That is how Polar explained it to me a year or so back) Send the rest of your polar bits together so they can test everything and replace other batteries/straps also if needed, it'll save you trouble later. Polar were very good with their service. I sent my stuff by courier from Cape Town, and had it back in about 1 week.

batteries.

No worries, if you unsure call Mia from Polar on 011 805-1028 she will advise whats best.

• 6 months later...

The battery on my WIND Speed Sensor died and I just phoned Polar. They told me to throw it away and buy a new one...WTF? Apparently it's cheaper (for Polar, not for me!) to just manufacture a sealed unit. Also, they reckon R500 isn't bad considering it lasted 2 years.

Seeing as I've got nothing to loose, I'm going to make like the guy on YouTube and replace it myself. If it works - great, if it doesn't - I was going to throw it away anyway, right?

Kinda kills the second hand market on these...

• 4 years later...

Did anyone have luck in replacing the batteries yet?

I got a polar from a member last week, but the sensors are dead.  Decided to order the batteries from RS, crack open the units, but no luck at all.  No light.  Nada bugger all.

Polar just seems to shove a big middle finger up you ass if you buy their products.  I have a 725X with a speed sensor that needs to be less than 10 cm from the watch to work.  And now this...  Should have gotten the Garmin unit instead.

use a blade and cut it open. then replace the battery and superglue shut. done it many times without any issue

i think google has a guide to doing it. its very easy

Edited by Furbz

Did that, but seems that I screwed it up somewhere...  Unit does not flash a red light when passing a magnet.  Will try when I am back at the office and see if I can fix it.

I think the light only flashes for 50x then not any more when activated. its working fine is my 2c. Read the manual