MTB vs Road Bikes

davetapson

One of my mates reckons that a roadbike takes a 1/3 less effort to ride than a MTB.

Is there a rule of thumb that says 'if you do a race on an MTB in so many hours, you'd take this many hours on a road bike'?

One of my mates reckons that a roadbike takes a 1/3 less effort to ride than a MTB.

Is there a rule of thumb that says 'if you do a race on an MTB in so many hours, you'd take this many hours on a road bike'?

Your mate isn't peddling hard enough on his road bike.

It's a bull***t comparison.

Think about it, if you are peddling at 100% intensity for a period of time it really doesn't matter if you are on a road bike or MTB or what ever. The fact is your HR and intensity is at max. So it's not about the vehicle, but the engine...

trying to do the single track while on the aerobars of a tt bike. ;)

Therefore: The rider of a TT bike will require more effort!

OK - I'll refine the question.

If you can do 94.7 in 4 hours on a MTB with knobblies, what would your time be if you used a road bike? Same engine, same intensity.

Define - effort -

Power? for a given power output you will go faster on a road bike than on an mtb (in general) For me that reflects in the awesome sub-5 times I cracked in the Argus on a roadie which are (generally) 70-80% the times I have done it on a mtb (excluding South Easter conditions)

It also 'feels' faster: the position, the slinky saddle, the drops, they limited gears mean no taking it easy up the hills in a granny. Cue "Strike the pose"

Edited by kosmonooit

If you can do 94.7 in 4 hours on a MTB with knobblies, what would your time be if you used a road bike? Same engine, same intensity.

Same tooth count?

To try compare the effort of cycling a mountain bike to that of a road bike has a large number of variables such as:

terrian

weight

rolling resistance of tyres

gearing

opportunity for drafting

rider position wrt wind resistance

ext.

In fact there are so many variables which cannot be logically isolated (within good reason, as no mtbker would willing cycle on tar for instance) that such comparisons are senseless and plain stupid.

Which probably why roadies have such a infatuation on trying to make such calculations.

THe best solution is to take your road bike to groenkloof or tokia and ride some single track.........

Well it depends if your buddy is cycling offorad or on road. Rule of thumb for a newbie, on road stay with a road bike and visa versa for off road and mountain bikes.

Although I cycled with some guys on MTB's and running knobblies and they were leaving some road guys behind on the flats!! Those guys were machines!

2:48

Ah - "A well defined question is already half answered"

Now the question again is are you talking a R700 Game MTB and a R50k roadbike or a R50k MTB and a stuffed road bike.... So many variations, thus not easy to estimate.

But you can look at roughly 15 - 25% improvement on your time (for a same 'price/level' of bike switch).

Better question

If you can do a MTB cross country lap race (8 laps) at fountains, on your road bike? What would your time be if you used your 26" hard tail? Same engine, same intensity?