Skewer diameters. That is news to me.

MJ the Expat

So, I saw a little play on the bike's backwheel, an AM Classic. Looked closely and the KCNC skewer seemed to be the problem. It looked to thin for the axle. I took the origianal skewers that came WITH the wheel. They were the same diameter @ 4mm. I then took a DT Swiss skewer and low and behold it was 5mm.

So now the questions: Why is there 2 diameters here? I first thought that maybe one is a road skewer and the other a MTB skewer but the skewers on the roadbike are also 5mm.

And why are the skewers that came with the wheel also 4mm which also result on a bit of play on the backwheel?

And do you get KCNC skewers that are different diameters?

Edited by The real MJ

I dont know why the different thickness, but as far as I know It wont make a difference as the skewer is only there to keep your wheel in the frame.If the skewer is closed as tight as it should be the play on the wheel is not because the skewer is to thin.

Edited by koukie

All three skewers provide some play funny enough...even the 5mm diameter skewer. (Thanks for the free grammar lesson.)

Scary to think the a 4mm Ti rod is what keeps the backwheel in place.

All three skewers provide some play funny enough...even the 5mm diameter skewer. (Thanks for the free grammar lesson.)

Scary to think the a 4mm Ti rod is what keeps the backwheel in place.

I was looking at this last night while putting my new brakeset onto my bike, what I will say is that with the thru axle on my front wheel there is no play whatsoever. The rear didn't have any play either, although it was the brand specific to the hub( DT Swiss hub & skewer)

Maybe its to make your Momsen, KCNC skewers compatible with any hub :unsure:

I have been down this road... the skewer diameter is not the culprit. steel ones are 5mm and ti ones normally 4.5mm

put your wheel in without the skewer and see it doesn't rest on the skewer.

What solved it for me was removing the little springs... try that.

Edited by Tarmac's Revenge