The magic test to ensure a sub-3 94.7

rudi-h

So every year numerous hubbers ask how they will do in the 94.7 based on times in recent events like OFM, Dome2Dome etc. If you live in Joburg I have the answer to a sub-3 94.7 (given that you don't get punctures)

For the last 2 years I have gone to Suikerbosrand the week before 94.7. Both times I have ridden the loop solo as hard as I could. The results:

Last year:

Suikerbosrand loop: 2h17

94.7 time starting in G: 3h01 (with a puncture in the first km. So for comparison details it is more like 2:57 starting in H - It took me very close to 4 min on the dot to fix the puncture. I know this because i just managed to catch the front of H after replacing the tube.

This year:

Suikerbosrand loop: 2h18

97.4 time starting in D: 2h50

So here's the magic formula. If you can do the suikerbosrand loop under 2:20 and you start in G or under without any punctures, then you will according to the rudi-h magic formula ride a sub 3h 94.7.

That's my bit of useless information for the day.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And also disregard the excel spreadsheet giving you split times.

It's horsesh!t.

It said I had to be opposite Hyde Park Corner at 1h01m. I got there at 1h09m, and was behind at every split from there to the finish... I finished in 2h51m :thumbup:

What is the distance of the suikerbos rand loop ?

58km , cattle grid to cattle grid.Total accent 1017m

Edited by Iron

And also disregard the excel spreadsheet giving you split times.

It's horsesh!t.

It said I had to be opposite Hyde Park Corner at 1h01m. I got there at 1h09m, and was behind at every split from there to the finish... I finished in 2h51m :thumbup:

Wish I saw this topic before the race, I used the split time calculator which said I needed to hit the N14 at 1:40 and I was 11mins 'late' which meant I would just miss my sub3. But rode hard on the N14 and the did the last 10km (on the R55) in 15mins compared to their estimate of 20mins so finished well within my target.

I think they modelled that on a strong rider that bonked in the last 15km :P

Haha, I used the split time calculator. Was ontrack at Hydepark, but couldn't go from Hyde park to Witkoppen in 20min? (That made no sense) Then I was way ahead at N14.

Then I bonked on Summit, finished 15min late

58km , cattle grid to cattle grid.Total accent 1017m

58km is coming back down the steep hill that you start on? i.e. miss the loop that goes out towards the gate?

58km is coming back down the steep hill that you start on? i.e. miss the loop that goes out towards the gate?

Nope - taking the short cut down the steep wrong way gives you just under 50km. Going straight and heading to the tee junction then turning right back the the cattle grate/hotel gives you 58km.

On the GPS, the FULL lap distance is 57Km

post-1372-0-52351700-1322206053.png

[edit] with the elevation change, the 58 is more like it [edit]

Edited by Ge®aldM24™

I was in D and near the end of the N14 section I heard an oke in the group (now consisting of d,e and f) comment 'we are 5k's behind our 3hr target', whatever that meant ....

I left the group behind at that point and still managed under 3 hours, not sure if anyone else from that group made it though ...

I was in D and near the end of the N14 section I heard an oke in the group (now consisting of d,e and f) comment 'we are 5k's behind our 3hr target', whatever that meant ....

I left the group behind at that point and still managed under 3 hours, not sure if anyone else from that group made it though ...

Looks like the group dropped you blush.gif 260 sub 3 hour finishers in group D ohmy.gif

What's the time in the reserve if you want a sub 3 hour argust?

2:03 isn't good enough for a windy Argust.

My secret is to hang on to the strong men in the bunch for as long as possible and then to pray that the second group is strong enough to carry me to the end in time. Usually works, especially in an early start group. Spreadsheets, times and garmins don't work for me - eyes finished, gone no longer working!

Nope - taking the short cut down the steep wrong way gives you just under 50km. Going straight and heading to the tee junction then turning right back the the cattle grate/hotel gives you 58km.

Ta - I don't do the short cut, 's just plain wrong. But I think I need to calibrate my polar - I get 60 something k's. Maybe I just weave a lot... :)

(And now I can rephrase my 94.7 question - how long does it take you to go around SBR on MTB and on road bike... :D )

Edited by davetapson