Crank choice

BernardG

I am a keen Triathlete buying a new bike. Not a tri specific bike but a Canyon Aeroad CF and i need to choose between a compact crank and a normal crank.

I am leening to the normal as in a Ironman time trial a bigger gear ratio upfront will be good. On the hills the compact rules. So what to choose?

One isn't necessarily better than the other, they are just different.

Some love compact, some hate it.

Others are just as comfortable on compact as they are on standard.

I'm no triathlete, but can't recall seeing too many compacts on tri-bikes.

Compact cranks are great for climbing and races with lots of rollers, but TTing should be done with standard cranks imo. I ride compact and love it!

Depends on how strong you are I suppose. I also do tri, and find it slightly more comfortable to stay in the big blade on a compact than on a standard. Not a big difference, but just slightly better on the cadence for me. With a bigger blade I get that "I have to downshift" feeling more. If you are stronger it may make sense to keep it standard though. I am not exactly in the top field (just under 6 hours for IM bike - I don't even have a tri bike, just standard steel frame road :-), so other input is probably advisable.

For reference, my standard used to 53 or 54 (can't remember). My compact is 51.

Edited by Pronutro

Normal crank.. IMSA is flat so the bigger ratio up front might be better.

on the rolling hills of 70.3 in EL, throw on a 11-28 .. and train harder :D

just my 2 cents.. :thumbup:

Compact cranks are great for climbing and races with lots of rollers, but TTing should be done with standard cranks imo. I ride compact and love it!

What cluster are you riding Andre?

I currently run compact with a 23-11 cassette, but am changing over to a 39/53 with a 25-11 cassette soon, the compact does not necessarily makes you faster, just a easier cycle, I tested both and the 39/53 made me cycle faster up Tiekiedraai even though the cadence was less.

If we are talking tri, then whether the cassette is 11/23 or 11/25 matters little. If, on a tri, you are sitting in either 23 or 25, you are in the wrong blade up front. Get the big blade that will suit you best.

Road racing and climbing steep hills is a different story.

I prefer the Compact, but I am fairly new to cycling, so compact easier for me. I recently bought a bike from one of my training partners, and changed the crank from Standard to Compact, so have a Standard Campag Chorus available if you interested.

Good luck

Cheers

I am a keen Triathlete buying a new bike. Not a tri specific bike but a Canyon Aeroad CF and i need to choose between a compact crank and a normal crank.

I am leening to the normal as in a Ironman time trial a bigger gear ratio upfront will be good. On the hills the compact rules. So what to choose?

I know some strong guys who ride compacts. We try to break them by pointing and laughing at their drivetrains but they still kick our asses a lot of the time, even on flattish races.

For ironman I'd definitely go with a standard crank or bigger though. After all it's called Ironman not Ironlittlegirl.

You calling me a girl?

tongue.gif

I guess we are shaving our legs already so why not go compact while we are at it?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_DZwOmtWaXyY/SJgKipDgUSI/AAAAAAAABbQ/NgAG806jdsY/s400/bike.jpg