Bonus Time

Carmichael

I just want to rant a little bit.....

It is this time of the year that the whole office is getting nervous/excited about a bonus. We had a slow first six months but picked up quite good,and recovered well.Our order book is full until next year august.

Ok now that you have that info... All the staff come to me and ask me what is happening with the bonusses, so yesterday i went to them to chat about it, and got cut off quickly saying that there will be nothing.. and he just walked out. Well i phoned him later and said that i want a meeting today. got my boxing gloves and knuckle buster with me!!!

Rant over!!!!

Edited by Carmichael

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go for it!

Luckily our director is The Man. Last month we got a big payment in, and all staff were given R500 just for the hell of it. And we've got over 200 people here. And December's bonus was a shocker. The bonus alone was bigger than my salary at the previous place I worked at a year ago...

It is this time of the year that the whole office is getting nervous/excited about a bonus. We had a slow first six months but picked up quite good,and recovered well.Our order book is full until next year august.

The One director bought a new Land Rover disco 4 and a new boat ( like in a big one 2 x 115 yamies at the back)

The other Director has been building on at his house for 7 months now..

Ok now that you have that info... All the staff come to me and ask me what is happening with the bonusses, so yesterday i went to them to chat about it, and got cut off quickly saying that there will be nothing.. and he just walked out. Well i phoned him later and said that i want a meeting today. got my boxing gloves and knuckle buster with me!!!

Rant over!!!!

A bonus is a privilege, not a right (unless written into your contract)

The Land Rover is financed as a company car, so that doesn't count.

Boats are not as expensive as most people think.

Putting up with builders for 7 months means that he is either insane or short of cash (spreading costs over a long term)

The long and the short ~ what the directors earn or do with their money is none of your business. If they didn't commit capital to the business, you wouldn't have a job, so they deserve their return. Suck it up, or move, it's very simple.

And yes, before you point it out, I too am a director.

Putting up with builders for 7 months means that he is either insane or short of cash (spreading costs over a long term)

The long and the short ~ what the directors earn or do with their money is none of your business. If they didn't commit capital to the business, you wouldn't have a job, so they deserve their return. Suck it up, or move, it's very simple.

Now this is a major issue for me, I got royaly shafted with this last year. Now bonus time and its still not concluded. I discussed this when I was having salary negotiations when I first started, now suddenly that was never the case :angry: What leg do I have to stand on?

The One director bought a new Land Rover disco 4 and a new boat ( like in a big one 2 x 115 yamies at the back)

with what would have been your bonusses...

Rant over!!!!

Strike Strike Strike Strike. Everyone else does it.

Edited by Carmichael

Yea and the Directors are the last in the picking line when times are lean .... which is most of the time :o

What we did to put the issue of Annual Bonus to rest is say to staff that they can set aside a portion of their annual salary as a 'Bonus' on given month, since we work on total cost so its up to them. And the only people flush with cash nowadaze are crooks and ANC Upper Tier Deployed Comrades (generally the same thing)

On a more serious note, I'd very cautious with your approach. Everybody wants to share the upside, yet not everybody has to carry the can with the downside. That's where the risk lies, and those persons (directors/owners) are entitled to the reward that it brings. They provide the guarantees, don't take salaries in dry months, ensure the cash flow, etc. As the FM you should well know that. If a bonus is linked to an incentive scheme then by all means. If it's just expected, then I'm afraid not. Good luck with your approach.

Just watch out that they don't give you a written warning....I believe the directors have say on bonuses, they can even give you R100 bucks more for a bonus...just to spite you