[Event] MTN National XCM #8 Ride Crater Cruise 106km - Driven By Nissan

Ride Magazine

Event Name: MTN National XCM #8 Ride Crater Cruise 106km - Driven By Nissan
When: 13 October 2012
Where: Petit Paris, Parys, Sillouette factory, Freestate
Category: MTB

The MTN Ride Crater Cruise is one of South Africa's most prestigious mountain bike festivals. Every second weekend of October, mtbikers from across the continent flock to Parys in the Free State, South Africa to compete for the Mountainbike Marathon title <King and Queen of the Crater>, OR to come and enjoy the beauty of the Vredefort Dome World Heritage Site along the Vaal River and indulge in the friendliness and hospitality of our rural community. The Petit Paris venue is the home of the event and is only 100km from Johannesburg.

Saturday 13 October 2012

Number pick-up only 106km & 28km - Ride Arena 06:00 - 07:45

106km MTN Ride Crater Cruise Marathon - seeded start 07:30 - 08:00, Carl Preller Avenue

Latest departure time/cut-off at halfway mark (12:00)

Nissan Ride 28km Dirt Flirt #1 - seeded start from 08:00, Carl Preller Avenue

Number pick-up and late entry for Petit Cruise (for kids) - 07:00 - 08:15

Spur Petit Cruise (for kids) starts from 08:15, Petit Paris - at Eiffel Tower, one adult may accompany children under 6 years. Start order:

Kids u/4 08:15 (~800metres)

Kids u/6 (~1,5km)

Kids u/8 (~1,5km)

Kids u/10 (~2.2km)

Prize giving - Ride Arena 15:00-15:45

Ride Elite Kêtathelon (a kêttie-shooting-mountainbike duathlon) (16:00) Petit Paris, Parys, Free State - 6 laps x 1.5km (9km) & 6 targets (200mm target at 8meters)

Crater Cruise Expo - Ride Arena 08:00-16:00

Number pick-up and late entries for 56km & 17km - 09:00-16:00

Ocean Basket Coffee bar 06:00 - 15:00

Beer garden & big screen sport 09:00-14:00

Out in the sun - Petit Paris

Food court (10:30 - 19:00) The best of local cuisine

Recreation (11:00 - 19:00) Swimming fountain, jumpin

Directions: Click here

Accomodation: Click here

"The Vredefort dome was not created by a meteorite, Bakkies Botha

decided to put his foot down"

Go to Event Page

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 9 months later...

much quicker, its fairly flat, farm road riding. ruts and dust. energy management and endurance are the key issues here.

Doing my first one this year. Came down with flu 3 days before the event last year. Hope everything works out this year.

I see there is two 106km races .One where you miss the rocky descent and the other one the full "Monty"

One is only for Elites

I see there is two 106km races .One where you miss the rocky descent and the other one the full "Monty"

One for 29ers, one for lesser bikes. :ph34r:

Parts of that route, particularly the last 15km of district road, were heavily corrugated when I rode there a few weeks ago. No fun at all on a hardtail and even a DS is going to give you a workout.

Parts of that route, particularly the last 15km of district road, were heavily corrugated when I rode there a few weeks ago. No fun at all on a hardtail and even a DS is going to give you a workout.

Even a fully rigid one :eek:

ahhh but a 29"er DS, now thats different... :devil: