SRAM Rival vs Ultegra (or 105)?

dracs

So I'm shopping around now and one or 2 deals around on bikes specced with Rival...

I've never ridden non Shimano stuff so need some input pls. I see a lot here and everywhere about SRAM red and Force to a lesser degree but no one seems to be shouting for Rival? As the number 3 SRAM groupset how does it match up when compared to 105 - or even Ultegra? Weight wise seems its more Ultegra - but price wise somewhere between 105 and Ultegra?

So how does it perform, and what the deal with double tap - sounds aukward to me but I guess it works for some? Any other issues / points good or bad?

Rival is in between Ultegra and 105...... it's all a matter of choice and preference.

Sram force is great bang for buck so have got it waiting for my new bike build :thumbup:

So I'm shopping around now and one or 2 deals around on bikes specced with Rival...

I've never ridden non Shimano stuff so need some input pls. I see a lot here and everywhere about SRAM red and Force to a lesser degree but no one seems to be shouting for Rival? As the number 3 SRAM groupset how does it match up when compared to 105 - or even Ultegra? Weight wise seems its more Ultegra - but price wise somewhere between 105 and Ultegra?

So how does it perform, and what the deal with double tap - sounds aukward to me but I guess it works for some? Any other issues / points good or bad?

I've always ridden shimano all the years. Recently I changed to Sram red.

The biggest difference for me the feel of the 2 groupsets. In my opinion shimano is more smoother and refined whereas sram has a more harder and mechanical feel to it. I'm still getting to use to the double tap click system. Often I click once and the gear drops down instead of going up.

I love the feel of the ceramic bearings tho

Having said that I am enjoying the change and getting use to it all the time.

Like Tiny K said its really a personal choice.

yup thanks all - obviously need to give it a try but the double tap seems counter-intuitive to me and I can't think of much worse than dropping down just when you want to shift up - or vice versa! :unsure:

looks like good bank for buck though...

I ride Rival and love it. The double tap is actually what made me choose it, as I don't like the Shimano shift levers. There's one shifting paddle, so just push it to the first (very loud) click to move to a smaller cog, or push it all the way to move back. Great once you get the hang of it.

Haven't ever used or been interested in trying SRAM, I stick with what I trust on both my bikes, and that's Shimano.

Have a combination of 105 and Ultegra on one bike, and full Ultegra on another. Not one problem with either, both smooth as silk. Available everywhere, no hassles with spares and repairs. Not a bike mechanic anywhere in the world who isn't familiar with Shimano.

Double tap? Who needs the hassle of "getting used to it". Jump on a Shimano equipped bike and ride the thing, the only part you should need to get used to is the fit of your butt in the saddle.

I use ultegra and I love it. Smooth as silk and the feedback from the STI's is great.

I prefer the feel of SRAM on my mtb when you want more direct shifts. On the road I prefer the smoother more effortless feel.

Personal choice. You wont go wrong with either.