MTB wheelset upgrades

Hendrik vd Walt

I recently got a set of shimano mt 65 wheels paid R2200 for them, and really happy. Fully tubeless rim 100g heavier than the XT wheels at 1700g. In fact they look almost identical to the wife's XT wheels.

• 7 years later...

Reviving an old thread. What would you choose if you had R3500 to R4500 to spend and would mind a good used set but looking for solid wheels poss wider and longer lasting for a Camber Carbon?

Having done about 450 odd kays on my rapide wheelset this month, I will not hesitate to recommend these. rapide's service also surpasses anything you can find on the interwebs anywhere, ever

The Rapide and Lyne rim's are the same spokes and hub's little different Lyne wheels slightly lighter Rapide around R4300 and Lyne around R5k I bought a demo set of Lyne and happy as a pig in mud. But they are almost identical to the rapide so either way you will be happy.

• 1 year later...

Reviving an old thread...

I have a 2019 Scott spark 950. It is stock standard and i am considering upgrading to lighter wheels. I am a smallish rider (75kg) and ride XC trails such as modderfontein

I am considering some good alu wheels in the R6K range and have been thinking of 

Any feedback on what to look for would be appreciated!

In that range, choose the ones with the best hubs... I got some Lyne Amp wheels and am incredibly impressed with how they're holding up. And of course legendary service.

Reviving an old thread...

I have a 2019 Scott spark 950. It is stock standard and i am considering upgrading to lighter wheels. I am a smallish rider (75kg) and ride XC trails such as modderfontein

I am considering some good alu wheels in the R6K range and have been thinking of 

Any feedback on what to look for would be appreciated!

I've heard that the Rapide products are great and have even greater backup service. Just noticed that the Lyne rims you looking at are not 29er

I bought a set of the Flow / Hopes at CWC and they have been great so far. For that price I think it's a bargain. They are hand built in house and I've put them through some tough stuff and they have come out fine. You will get some people saying the spokes aren't double butted, brass nipples etc but from my experience they are none the less for it. 

One benefit to think of is the Hope hubs are very reliable and you can get all the spares you need easily so should last long enough to rebuild with different rims if you want in a couple of years. 

Edit: The Lyne and the Rapide are also really, really good wheels. I've got a set of the Lynes on a different bike and for the price are just great. I think out of the options you have you're not going to make a bad decision. 

Edited by Dirt Tracker

Go with the Stans - that's the normal retail price of the Hope Pro 4 hubs (which are rock solid) so you're getting rims, spokes and build almost for free. If you can, try and persuade them to build them with better spokes even if it costs you a little more as I suspect they use entry level, heavy spokes (I could be wrong)

Edited by Edge_Design

The Stans wheelset you're buying for the hubs, the rims will crack and the spokes are made of bloudraad.

That said, at 6.5k you're getiing rims, spokes and a build for R 1 500 more than the hubset. So just budget in a rebuild after a year and you're good to go. Hope hubs will outlive you.