maximum body weight for carbon road frame

The Big Bad Norm

Hi,

I am no light weight, and wanted to know if there is a maximum weight allowed for a road carbon frame.

I know it will vary from mnf to mnf but if anyone has a general idea I would appreciate it, as I dont want to take the plunge only to break the frame a year down the line.

Thanks

Edited by RobBarker

Try and stick to the 50+ HM 1K carbon....in other words the more expensive, stonger carbon. Do stay away from the no name brands that use cheaper carbon. To be honest, stay away from carbon....there is nothing wrong with a high end alluminium frame. In fact, many are actually lighter than the entry level carbon frames.

...there is nothing wrong with a high end alluminium frame. In fact, many are actually lighter than the entry level carbon frames.

Like?

I read somewhere a while back that Cannondale has no weight limit on their frames. Maybe worth checking it out?

Try and stick to the 50+ HM 1K carbon....in other words the more expensive, stonger carbon. Do stay away from the no name brands that use cheaper carbon. To be honest, stay away from carbon....there is nothing wrong with a high end alluminium frame. In fact, many are actually lighter than the entry level carbon frames.

Yeah, like that hydro formed blue and pearl white CIOCC you have :drool: :D

btw - build is happening the 19th :clap:

Touche. Take the lightest Alu frame on the market and then compare it to the heaviest high-end carbon frame around. blink.gif So that's one example. Not a good one, but one none the less.

like the cannondale caad 10, it's lighter than a dogma.

Still does not look like a dogma...There is loads of carbon frames lighter than alum.

Wait till you try carbon, then your opinion changes

I know of a guy weighing in at 125kg. He has had a carbon Cannondale for the last 3 years without any problems.

As a novice, I cannot fathom this fanboy aluminium vs carbon discussion that this has deteriorated into. Surely the more important question, rather than whether some aluminium frames are indeed lighter than carbon frames, should rather be whether the OP really needs a carbon frame? Surely if there are concerns he should just steer clear of carbon?

Hi,

I am no light weight, and wanted to know if there is a maximum weight allowed for a road carbon frame.

I know it will vary from mnf to mnf but if anyone has a general idea I would appreciate it, as I dont want to take the plunge only to break the frame a year down the line.

Thanks

I was 106 kg's and needed a new frame and i was worried about going the carbon route as i have been riding aluminium since the eighties.I was worried that the frame would break.I then got to see a few frames tested and most can handle 120kg very well in testing.

I still won't go for a super light 800gr frame though.

I am now at 96kg's and i have no problems with my Look frame and i have been riding 4-5 days a week.

Edited by gummibear

So to throw the cat amongst the pigeons - what about the weight limit on an Aluminium frame, eh?

Good question. I think when people worry about weight limits it is because of the perception that carbon suffers more from sudden catastrophic failures than something made of steel/alloy ie. the thought that Joe will be riding along and suddenly find himself skidding along the ground with a piece of broken carbon stuck in his butt.

Right or wrong, it is one of the things that keeps me off carbon, but sooner or later I'm sure I will go that route as well. For now, my alu Cannondale does just fine.