Gauteng North and CG Provincial XCO series 2012

singletrek

The CGC website has been going through an upgrade and change of service provider. the dates should be on there i will check why it is not there. All of the races are on the CSA calender site?

I will post full details on the events section

on CSA I can see there's an event on 4 March. Nothing more. No link, no venue.

Rockhoppers used to have all these dates but nothing.

Is there a series this year?

• 3 weeks later...

Let me know when you will be riding there again. Or pm me your email address - looking forward to go and try it out.

Still looking for the 2012 Gauteng Provincial calendar though... smile.gif

Hello Singletrek, it's not as easy as I thought. I cannot speak on behalf of the CGC program, but Kieth O'Leary and I are looking at a series to be done between Bambeli, The Vlei and Thaba. Major problem is sponsors because there are certain costs that must be paid... Medic main concern. I am interested in how many would ride if there was an entry fee of R80 per rider with NO...prize money..NO medals... NO goody bags... and NO other aim but to get guys and girls to experiance cross country racing ( lap racing ) Are there any riders interested in doing a XC time trial series. We have the two race trails 1) 2.5km less technical and 2) 4,5km tester.we will look at doing these time trials on a Sunday morning, say 8.30 to 10 doing the short one and then 10 to 12 doing the longer one. If there is interest we will put these on...but not the usual initial rush that becomes a no go after one or two attempts. To get confirmation of the happenings will mean that you watch the Thaba webb page or register with Thaba to recieve any related news.

Hey Wendell - here's my opnion - your courses don't "flow" enough. I like swoopy, fun, fast courses with technical sections thrown in - not the other way around. You seem to think that XCO should be about making it over copious amounts of rocks... Personally I don't enjoy your courses. Not trying to be a jerk just trying to come up with reasons for the poor support.

Rietvlei and Thaba are both great places to ride but are frustrating to race.

Hello Eldron, sorry it's been some time since paying attention to this Valuable topic.....I accept your points of iew and would LOVE to do a lap with you and discuss your viewpoints...and that of anyone else as well. I would hate to think that I have blinkers on.

Hello Eldron, sorry it's been some time since paying attention to this Valuable topic.....I accept your points of iew and would LOVE to do a lap with you and discuss your viewpoints...and that of anyone else as well. I would hate to think that I have blinkers on.

Don't mind me - I'm just difficult to please :D

I rode Round One of the XCOSA event and thought it was too flowing and swoopy - not enough rocks and technical bits (granted they did say that Round 1 was an intro and it would get harder and harder...)

My shangri-la of XCO course would be 50% Rietvlei/Thaba and 50% XCOSA Round 1. I like riding flowing whoopy stuff that makes you scream YEAH but rock gardens and technical are a must too - they give you thnat feeling of accomplishment. It's awesome the first time to ride through a technical section without putting a foot down.

I find courses where you barely get out of the granny and end up with an average under ~20km/h to be very frustrating - technical is good but we want to flat out pedal sometimes too. There need to be some mental breaks where you can just pedal, take a sip of water, smack a banana then dive back into the technical stuff. When you finish an XCO event more mentall drained than physically you know you've got the formula wrong.

Anyway - thats my personal opinion - other will differ - especially hubworld ;)

Don't mind me - I'm just difficult to please :D

I rode Round One of the XCOSA event and thought it was too flowing and swoopy - not enough rocks and technical bits (granted they did say that Round 1 was an intro and it would get harder and harder...)

My shangri-la of XCO course would be 50% Rietvlei/Thaba and 50% XCOSA Round 1. I like riding flowing whoopy stuff that makes you scream YEAH but rock gardens and technical are a must too - they give you thnat feeling of accomplishment. It's awesome the first time to ride through a technical section without putting a foot down.

I find courses where you barely get out of the granny and end up with an average under ~20km/h to be very frustrating - technical is good but we want to flat out pedal sometimes too. There need to be some mental breaks where you can just pedal, take a sip of water, smack a banana then dive back into the technical stuff. When you finish an XCO event more mentall drained than physically you know you've got the formula wrong.

Anyway - thats my personal opinion - other will differ - especially hubworld ;)

Especially HUBWORLD !!!! The aim of cross country I belieVe is speed, skill and not an attempt at testing the strength of bikes...at Mankele last year a particular brand had so many waranty claims for frames it is scary... Come ride the trail prepaired for the XCO on the 4th March...4,5km and deffinately not like Fountains even though I rate fountains as an extremely interesting trail..for me the tes is if you havn't had a drink because you are riding as fast as possible...rock gardens....don't see the point if you have God's natural beauty to work with...just mu humble opinion..

I saw there is a xco series starting 1 April at phambili . Tried to email the guy for info but nothing .. Please if anybody have any info about any xco races in the GP area please let me know at hendrichbehrens@gmail.com . Realy want to do more xco . Thanks

MTB

Combined CGC and GN XCO races:

Round Date Venue Organizer Contact Phone

1 4/3/2012 Rietvlei/Thaba Cycle Hub Events Wendell Bole 0829000749

2 1/4//2012 Monument PMC Derrick Palmer 0826210413

3 20/5/2012 Phambili Rockhoppers Jean Du Preez 0826101140

4 17/6/2012 Fountains PMC Derrick Palmer 0826210413

5 1/7/2012 Avianto ilumin8events Richard Beswick 0836001289

The first round of the Gauteng XCO series will be held the 4th March 2012 and will be at Thaba

trails.

Starting times and regestration closing times

Entries will be on the day.

Sprogs/nippers/Sub jnr/sports classes start at 08.30 Reg closes at 07.30, Entry R50

Ladies Classes start at 09.30, Reg closes at 08.30, Entry R100

Master men/vet/sub-vet start at 10.30 reg closes at 09.30,Entry R100

Elite men/U23/Jnr/youth start at 11.45 reg closes at 10.30, Entry R100

For more information contact:

Terence casey 072 224 3536

Wendall bole 082 900 0749