MTB Tyre Choices

patches

It’s 840gr in 2.35!!!

He wants a tyre 200gr lighter than that

That is the weight of the 2.6. The 2.35 come in at max 720g.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is the weight of the 2.6. The 2.35 come in at max 720g.

the 2.25 Mezcal comes in at 760gr

Barzo comes in 2.25 is 760gr

The 2.35 i weighed was 840gr hence it stayed in the bike shop.

Enduro tyre weight for XC tread....no thanks!

And there's no difference between the Cape Cobra and regular version

Thanks for the info guys. So it looks like the Bontrager xr2 team is the best out there then. Light weight and pretty wide at 2.35 and 675g

Thanks for the info guys. So it looks like the Bontrager xr2 team is the best out there then. Light weight and pretty wide at 2.35 and 675g

Yeah it's pretty much as light as its going to get and pretty grippy too. It's not the most puncture resistant so make sure it's topped up with sealant monthly

Since Maxxis are a bit narrower than they claim I am gonna suggest slightly wider tyres:

- Front: Maxxis Aggressor 2.5

- Back: Maxxis Ardent Race 2.35

That combo should roll lekker fast on a Jack of all trades bike, but still give enough grip up front.

Sorry for all the questions. Would love to go skinwall. I can get Ardent 2.4 rear and Ikon 2.2 Front. Is this an option ?

Sorry for all the questions. Would love to go skinwall. I can get Ardent 2.4 rear and Ikon 2.2 Front. Is this an option ?

no. I wouldn't put an ikon 2.2 on the front if you paid me. If you switched them around, ardent front ikon rear then yeah, but the Ardent isn't my favourite tyre. Ardent is not the same as Ardent Race. 

no. I wouldn't put an ikon 2.2 on the front if you paid me. If you switched them around, ardent front ikon rear then yeah, but the Ardent isn't my favourite tyre. Ardent is not the same as Ardent Race.

Sorry typo. Meant Ardent front and Ikon rear ????

I run an ardent 2.4 on the Front and Ardent Race 2.35 of my XC hardtail, and it serves me well. The Ardent isn't my favourite tyre on the front but I use the bike on tar and dirt so I guess you have to compromise somewhere - it rolls reasonably fast and grips okay. If I knew it was a dirt only bike I'd replace it with an Aggressor 2.5.

But if you want skinwall your options are very limited. If I were you I'd focus on getting the right tread pattern rather than skinwalls.

I run an ardent 2.4 on the Front and Ardent Race 2.35 of my XC hardtail, and it serves me well. The Ardent isn't my favourite tyre on the front but I use the bike on tar and dirt so I guess you have to compromise somewhere - it rolls reasonably fast and grips okay. If I knew it was a dirt only bike I'd replace it with an Aggressor 2.5.

But if you want skinwall your options are very limited. If I were you I'd focus on getting the right tread pattern rather than skinwalls.

Had to reread that to make sure. I thought you said you were running Ardents up front on the Transition. Which would be weird. 

This was the final decision.

2.3 DHF Front

2.3 Agressor Rear

Super happy

post-36034-0-40386700-1558719354_thumb.jpeg

I have a new favourite front tyre. This Asseguy is something else.

Final test was down plum pudding and plum proper, last night. First time down plum proper, admittedly, but anyone who's ridden it knows how loose and slow techy it is. At no point was it even close to losing grip, and I was able to modulate the front brake to a point that I didn't think I'd have been able to, and it just didn't slide or slip or lock. And when I did lock the front, it stopped instantly.

On the shale back down into vredehoek, on the lower reaches of table mountain, it hooked up fantastically, and when the conditions were just anti grip (shale on top of hardpack) it slid predictably and gripped when it needed to. Just cut straight through the shaite and gave me all the confidence I needed. When turned on its side the edge knobs just find grip and help you rail whatever you want.

Admittedly the double down casing is heavier than a hippo on a standard American diet, but when it lands in the Exo Plus casing it will in my opinion be a perfect front tyre for people who want grip and confidence above everything else. I personally like the DD casing, cos it means running slightly lower pressures and extra sidewall strength.

Disclaimer: NOT a rear tyre. The compound is just too soft. Unless you're shuttling or lifting, or can replace them more often than I can. I'd imagine it to be extremely boggy on the back, and for anyone that pedals to the top of the trail I'd recommend something else.

Disclaimer 2: no, I'm not the fastest or most gifted rider, but I can tell when something works better than something else for my needs. And I need all the grip I can get, cos I'm a muppet and don't have the talent to overcome a lack of grip.

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

Looking at buying a new rear tyre for my MTB (Giant Anthem 29er 2018). I ride mostly Marathon and trail and like some techy features too.

I currently have a Spez Ground Control GRID 2.3 up front and was looking at the Spez FastTrak to match. Problem is they only come in 2.1 or 2.3 widths.

Will a 2.3 wide tyre slow me down at all on longer marathon rides? The 2.1 just seems so narrow. And is it worth going GRID casing opposed to the Control casing that’s cheaper and lighter as far as I understand?

Looking at buying a new rear tyre for my MTB (Giant Anthem 29er 2018). I ride mostly Marathon and trail and like some techy features too.

I currently have a Spez Ground Control GRID 2.3 up front and was looking at the Spez FastTrak to match. Problem is they only come in 2.1 or 2.3 widths.

Will a 2.3 wide tyre slow me down at all on longer marathon rides? The 2.1 just seems so narrow. And is it worth going GRID casing opposed to the Control casing that’s cheaper and lighter as far as I understand?

2.3 will give you better comfort, slight decrease in rolling resistance due to the higher volume allowing the tyre to roll over things better (absorption vs deflection, absorption is better) and you'll have a bit more grip thanks to the slightly lower pressure you'll be able to run. 

For the rear, DEFINITELY  GRID casing - control casing IMO should be used for racing and for light use on the front as it's weak. It will be heavier, but you'll gain far more in puncture protection, comfort and grip than you'll lose in weight. That, to me, is a worthwhile trade-off. It's not like you're running an XCO race every time you ride, is it?

2.3 will give you better comfort, slight decrease in rolling resistance due to the higher volume allowing the tyre to roll over things better (absorption vs deflection, absorption is better) and you'll have a bit more grip thanks to the slightly lower pressure you'll be able to run.

For the rear, DEFINITELY GRID casing - control casing IMO should be used for racing and for light use on the front as it's weak. It will be heavier, but you'll gain far more in puncture protection, comfort and grip than you'll lose in weight. That, to me, is a worthwhile trade-off. It's not like you're running an XCO race every time you ride, is it?

Definitely not racing or even competitive in xco or marathon. I do like pushing myself and seeing how well I can do it marathon though. Thanks for the insight. Will probably go with 2.3. I’ve got a crossmark 2.1 on at the moment. Anything should be better than that ????