MTB Tyre Choices

patches

I recently got a 2.35" Barzo / Mezcal CC combo for my Camber and am not too impressed.

Pinch flatted on the first ride and feel like I am riding on slippery ice (OK, mild exaggeration).
My previous combo was the Specialized Purgatory and Ground Control combo, but stock is in short supply

Would I be better off with the Onza Ibex 2.4 120 TPI pairing ?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently got a 2.35" Barzo / Mezcal CC combo for my Camber and am not too impressed.

Pinch flatted on the first ride and feel like I am riding on slippery ice (OK, mild exaggeration).

My previous combo was the Specialized Purgatory and Ground Control combo, but stock is in short supply

I’ve seen both the purgatory and ground control at Lynnwood Cyclery on the shelfs recently splat.

Regards, Thinus.

Edited by thinusjvrs

vomit-655x353.jpg

Please No,... jjust No.

I also ride Camber and I recently replaced my purgatory with a Barzo 2.35"...It is fading fast. In January I replaced the Ground Control with the new Spez Eliminator 2.4" and that is worth every penny. I will be reverting to Spez once the Barzo gives up the ghost.

The Onza tyres I had rode very well, nice rolling etc but, please take note that Onza does not have an importer at the moment. I had a problem with mine with sealant seeping through the side walls for a year and luckily a friend/dealer whom I bought it from and Rush Sports helped me to get another brand as a replacement set.

once the struggle of getting to seal is overcome the grip is rather underwhelming

I’m finding the opposite. Sealed incredibly easy.

Grip is good and predictable in dry loose conditions. Great in hero dirt and sheds mud surprisingly well.

Good rolling resistance and lasts really well.

I had some sidewall seepage issues at first and it went away after a month of riding.

Edited by Steady Spin

vomit-655x353.jpg

Please No,... jjust No.

Glad I asked!

I am looking for tyres that do their job. Got enough admin as it is…

Perhaps I should have a lurk around Freewheel again see what they have on their shelves .

I like using continental De kaiser projekt and de baron projekt paired with each other or with a mountain king or trail king. However choices are limited locally and not everyone likes/uses them. I rather like how they perform and they last long.

Is the Ibex really that bad

No, not bad at all. Tires, it seems, are a bit of a fashion statement. I remember when the ibex first arrived everyone thought they were amazing. It's been a while since I last used a Ibex but I remember them being pretty good.

No, not bad at all. Tires, it seems, are a bit of a fashion statement. I remember when the ibex first arrived everyone thought they were amazing. It's been a while since I last used a Ibex but I remember them being pretty good.

Also had no issues with them. There are many tyres I would buy before an Ibex, but for what it is, the Ibex has a good balance between rolling resistance, grip, and durability.

I think it was said before... pressure is the most important thing with the Ibex.

I might have more than my regular 22psi in the front and I could feel it on a “loose over hard” section on the trail today. Bike drifted a bit on long laid out corners.... at 45km/h. I’m sure the brown bits on the rear tyre is mud.

I had a set of Onza Canis tyres that lasted well over 5000 km without any issues. When I wanted to replace them there was no stock available (I now know why). Currently have Schalbe Rocket Rons on my bike, but I see they won't last nearly as long.

Any recommendations on  XC tyres that can give similar mileage to the Onzas? I mostly ride dirt roads with some (not a lot) technical sections thrown in.

TIA