New to CBD area - looking for route tips/directions to Tbl mt/deerpark routes etc

Katie

Hi!

I am relatively new to the City Bowl area and Im desperately looking for some advice on routes on Table Mountain - where to start? what the tracks are like (difficulty/single track vs jeep etc). Ive heard deer park to block house is great but have no idea how to get to the parking lot to start etc.

Any tips would be awesome!

Thanks!

Don't go alone.

Safety has was an issue not too long ago.

I don't know if it has improved lately.

See link to Streetmaps here

Edited by splat

Hi,

I ride in that area on a regular basis, there are a couple of access points onto table mtn, the easiest probably being van riebeek park otherwise known as 'deer park'. This is at the top of deer park drive in vredehoek. A bit difficult to describe the routes, the best is to ride with someone, we ride there on a regular basis as do many others. Also not a good idea to ride by yourself in some places near the blockhouse.

I am relatively new to the City Bowl area and Im desperately looking for some advice on routes on Table Mountain - where to start? what the tracks are like (difficulty/single track vs jeep etc). Ive heard deer park to block house is great but have no idea how to get to the parking lot to start etc.

There is very little single track on the front of the mountain - most of it is gravel roads with some loose rock bits and some fairly setup decents.

3 main access points are Rhodes Mem, Tafelberg road and at the end of Deer Park Drive.

Simplest way to start exploring is take Tafelberg road (past the cable station) ... go till tar ends, portage round the green gate (locked to keep cars out, not bikes and hikers), the road goes down for a while and then takes you round to the blockhouse. Its pretty easy to find, just follow your nose. from there you can decent along any of the paths- the ones running East will bring you out near Rhodes Mem, the ones running West go towards Deer Park.

Make sure you don't go alone. It can be pretty busy during the weekend, but quiet in the week and there have been muggings - especially round the top of Rhodes Mem.

Hey Katie.

Depends on how long you want to ride, but here's a nice loop.

Start at Kloof Nek car park. Ride up Table Mountain Rd towards Cable Car. At first bend, take left onto dirt road past boom. Down that piece. Turn right at cross roads. Follow this all the way into Deer Park (make sure you take sharp right at bottom of very steep downhill. This takes you to Deer Park. The river will be on your left. Follow the road (don't turn) and you'll climb for a few minutes through the forest. Then once out the forest, keep heading East (towards BlockHouse) but turn right before the final uphill to the BlockHouse (about 1km past the fork in the road, take right fork). This very rocky track takes you up to TM Road again. Then cruise along the road back to Kloof Nek, or drop down by the big tree (before start of Platteklip Hiking Trail) back into Deer Park (great downhill section) and follow your route back to car.

I add in a loop up to Signal Hill too along the ridge past the kramat although we're not technically allowed to ride there. Only been warned once in 10 years of riding...

It's hilly, sometimes loose and rocky, and Signal Hill can be a bit technical (I sometimes fall off) but all rideable. PM me today if you want a guide for your first ride. I'm free this weekend.