teaching son how to ride first bike

RudoJ

I got interuppted with my last post and didn't get to finish what I was saying.

Rudo my son is a little older than yours which I think makes it a lot easier. He also has been riding on a balance bike for 2 years so has lots of confidence. The method to teach really depends on the kid. With Sean, we can't push or force him as he will just go backwards, but with other kids that works great. Whatever you do, just give it time. I think us parents buying the first bikes expect too much :-)

As for blood on the carpets, luckily we replaced the carpets with wooden floors in Jan. Had blood dripping on the floors yesterday from a fall (not off the bike though).

Now I just can't wait until he can come ride a little trail with me.. so exciting.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder whose signature you borrowed that from.. :lol:

Yeah. It's probably a mis-quote anyway, but really, pedaling a bike isn't that hard. Do you think these same parents that overthink bike riding act the same way when the kid asks for help with algebra?

[HIJACK]

My little boy will be born sometime in the next 2-6 weeks. How long would I have to wait to buy him his first bike??? :rolleyes:

[HIJACK]

My little boy will be born sometime in the next 2-6 weeks. How long would I have to wait to buy him his first bike??? :rolleyes:

Buy it now. You the prices will have increased 200% by the time he can use it. Save money upfront ;)

[HIJACK]

Yeah, my boy is due in 3 weeks and 34 minutes exactly!

Can't wait! Check out www.earlyrider.co.za. Top of the shopping list!

Yeah, my boy is due in 3 weeks and 34 minutes exactly!

Can't wait! Check out www.earlyrider.co.za. Top of the shopping list!

Nice!! :thumbup:

Must throw in a word of caution though. It's all good and well getting your kids into the sport you love, but, there's the danger that they'll love it more than you. Kids become brand- and bling-conscious before long. There goes your own bike budget…I have to work in a bike shop to supplement my kids' hobby… :(

To those of you expecting littlies, good luck! :thumbup:

Awesome responses, had a good chuckle at some of them! :thumbup:

We didnt get him a balance bike or something similar before, just one of those plastic kick bikes, and with that he is like a litle daredevil. Will be going the side wheels for a while.

Ratty, probably the most usable advice there, I take Reghardt on his bike a few minutes a day, push hi around a bit, explaining what he should do with his legs.Today he said after 7 minutes "ek is nou moeg" so we stopped. I dont want him to get discouraged, so we make quite a game out of it, today i was requested by him to get into my whole cycling outfit, and i obliged, it got him on the bike at least :D :)

Maybe I should document our progress here each day or so, and see how we go, even if other future first time bike buyer moms and dads can learn from our mistakes, it will be worth it.

No matter how good or bad it goes, any time spent with the little man is priceless :thumbup:

Struggling to get my little one on a bike but my wife said to me before he was born"what if he's not a cyclst"

Could be worse, he could have been a roadie

my wife said to me before he was born"what if he's not a cyclst"

I pray for pro golfers myself.

Try teaching your twin girls to ride, got them bikes for christmas as they have also just turned 3. Hard enough trying to teach just the one.

hmm we are still at 7minutes trying before he gets of,,,,gets in random quarter crank turns, but most of the time just spins backwards....making fun of it and each time has cycle helmet on etc...no use in getting impatient....whatcan i do to make it more fun for him?

• 3 weeks later...

Going to upgrade my sons bike from 12 inch to 16. He's got the whole pedalling thing right but every now and then resorts to half or quarter cranks of the pedals. I see some of the better known bikes come with back pedal brakes which im a bit concerned about if he accidentally backpedals when riding fast. What has been your guys experiences with getting bigger bikes for your kids?

My niece wanted to cycle like her uncle, but pedaling was a problem for young kid, so what I did was put the training wheels on the rear onto bricks, making it stationery bike. Much easier to pedal and within 2 days she was zooming the yard.

my nephew started off with one of those cheap chinese bikes and stabilisers. he is now 4, my folks bought him his first mtb for christmas. you should see him wizzing around now.

my 18month daughter loves bikes so much we bought her a baby seat. strapped it to my MTB and take her for rides daily, she loves it.

Went through the process myself recently - and worse... with a daughter!

Patience, dude, that's all... We stay on a sloped area, so I got her to hang her feet down to be able to avoid falling and gave her push down a gentle slope. Soon she was steering and not too long after that I got her to put the feet on the pedals, then started pedaling a bit, then came the turn before she hit our driveway... and off she went down the street. Biggest obstacle after that is getting them to start on their own - initially you have give a gentle push, then just hold a hand on the shoulder.

They have their own pace, don't rush it.