Anyone have news on Die Wingerd for 2012?

walkerr

Not seeing any dates posted on the PPA site yet - they often announce it late, so not sure that means much. Calendar looks quite busy already so wondering if it'll be on this year.

Edited by walkerr

will be a pity if its not on this year. I LOVE those burgers...

Haha - and here's me thinking about the ride. Agree on the burgers though.

my 2c worth: ek gan altyd na die skool self om te gaan enter, die entry fees was altyd cheap tot laasjaar.vorige jare was daar nie 'n lisence fee by nie. so die jaar voor laasjaar dus 2010, was die entry fee die gewone ek dink R65. op die laaste nippertjie toe kom PPA en eis lisence fees en die skool was nie ingelig hieroor. hulle moes toe al daai geld uit hulle eie sak opdok!

die vrou het my toe gese dat hulle dink daaraan om die race te cancel na die episode met PPA.

laas jaar se entry fooi het wel day licence fooi ingesluit. en was toe omtrent R145

die jaar sal my 5de breakfast ride wees so ek hou duime vas.

my 2c worth: ek gan altyd na die skool self om te gaan enter, die entry fees was altyd cheap tot laasjaar.vorige jare was daar nie 'n lisence fee by nie. so die jaar voor laasjaar dus 2010, was die entry fee die gewone ek dink R65. op die laaste nippertjie toe kom PPA en eis lisence fees en die skool was nie ingelig hieroor. hulle moes toe al daai geld uit hulle eie sak opdok!

die vrou het my toe gese dat hulle dink daaraan om die race te cancel na die episode met PPA.

laas jaar se entry fooi het wel day licence fooi ingesluit. en was toe omtrent R145

die jaar sal my 5de breakfast ride wees so ek hou duime vas.

I'm not sure what the Die Wingerd fee might be this year, but typically if you are a PPA member and use the early bird entry you can save a lot of money on fees. If you look at this weekend's Tour de PPA - early bird for a PPA member is R70, whereas late entry for a non member is R130.

In many ways, I think this is a reasonable policy for the PPA - you'd expect as a member to get a discount, and encouraging early entry must make for more reliable pre-race planning.

I'm not sure what the Die Wingerd fee might be this year, but typically if you are a PPA member and use the early bird entry you can save a lot of money on fees. If you look at this weekend's Tour de PPA - early bird for a PPA member is R70, whereas late entry for a non member is R130.

In many ways, I think this is a reasonable policy for the PPA - you'd expect as a member to get a discount, and encouraging early entry must make for more reliable pre-race planning.

yup as mens ppa member is betaal mens nie die day lisence nie. bg storie het betrekking op die people wat day licenses moet betaal..ek is een van hulle biggrin.gif

so ons entry fee is bietjie meer nou

• 3 weeks later...

daars nog steeds niks op die ppa website..wonner wat gan an. i go past the school later..will pop in and ask :)

Yep, also check the PPA Events page each week or so and nothing. Will be very sad if this ride has dropped off the calendar

ek kom nounet van die skool af: GEEN BREAKFAST RIDE die jaar nie en ons kan PPA blameer! ek het die vrou gevra en sy se die probleme met PPA het net te veel geword!

soos bv: laas jaar moes ons soos oudergewoonty by die skool finish, PPA het net gegaan en hulle matte in steynsrust rd gaan opslaan, en natuulik moes die verkeers mense toe ook rond en bond.

ai toggie..ek nou so hartseer en kwaad!

Darn it, I'm also very sad. Die Wingerd was my 1st ever proper ride after we moved to SA, I look forward to it every year. Can understand the school's position though, not nice dealing with people who mess you around. Seems like PPA have shot us all in the foot and caused us to lose a much enjoyed ride.

Must say it is a pity that the ride was canceled. This is a ride that originated in the era of free traffic assistance, and that really acted as a fundraiser for the school. Unfortunately it now costs a small fortune to have traffic control for a funride, and the numbers for this ride has really declined over the past four or so years. Around 2008 there were typically about 1000 cyclists who did the ride, this has steadily declined (around 700 in 2010 and just about 500 in 2011). There have, unfortunately, also been some safety issues with the finish of this ride (as some hubbers will be able to attest to) which lead to the finish being moved.

As far as I know (but I may be completely wrong), the route for all the funrides is determined by the organisers, and the funride coordinator(s) from the PPA, in conjunction with the traffic authorities. I think it may be somewhat unfair to lay the blame for the cancelation of the ride on the PPA alone.

Fair points - shame anyhow, wherever the problem lies. Couple of guys and myself do a fairly regular 50-70km training ride most weekends in S'West. Maybe we'll shift our route one weekend and ride a self-organized Die Wingerd in memory of this nice race. Just need to find someone to cook the burgers at the end!

Stop blaming PPA for everything - the race was very poorly attended last year and that's probably the main reason the school is scrapping it.

PPA isn't always perfect, but I think we can be happy in the Western Cape that them. They have also scored some browny points with me this year for be example organising a near perfect Tour de PPA, when the Boland Drukpers sponsors pulled out.

Stop blaming PPA for everything - the race was very poorly attended last year and that's probably the main reason the school is scrapping it.

PPA isn't always perfect, but I think we can be happy in the Western Cape that them. They have also scored some browny points with me this year for be example organising a near perfect Tour de PPA, when the Boland Drukpers sponsors pulled out.

Relax ... I don't think intent was really to bash the PPA, more sadness that the event won't be held. Agree that the Tour de PPA was very good this year, and also that we get a good variety of rides.

Edit: reword

Edited by walkerr

die vrou my die skool het gese PPA is to blame for the cancellation of the ride. so ek gan op wat sy gese het..as daar iemand is wat sal weet dan is dit sy! ;)