Cyclist attacked outside Stellenbosch

LukeSkywalker

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We need to do something. Take back our cities, lives, roads and country. If you or someone you know has been attacked drop an email to leader@da.org.za and ask for something to be done. If enough of us do at least this hopefully somebody will listen.

[i refuse to be a passenger any longer on this downward-spiral train.]

Hector Elliott is a decent guy who runs and cycles and may be able to help. Safety on our Western Cape roads is one of his chief mandates. http://www.westerncape.gov.za/eng/your_gov/15990/contacts

myself and Michael cycled on the R44 on Sunday and a guy tried pulling Michael off his bike - he was riding behind me. When we shouted at him it looked like he wanted to pull out a knife - so we cycled like mad to get out of there! I'm gonna look for some pepper spray or something similar to put in my back pocket!!!

angry.gif

This is not good news at all...many take those routes as safe(Bottelary/R304/R44). I live in Kuilsriver so that is our normal training routes. I usually only use those roads on Saturdays and have never been alone. I do however see alot of cyclists alone especially women. The only other safe road is then Polka, but it seems as soon as we say its safe something happens...I usually look directly at these guys next to the road waiting for them to do something, I think I have this built up anger and the one that will cross me is going to be very sorry.

myself and Michael cycled on the R44 on Sunday and a guy tried pulling Michael off his bike - he was riding behind me. When we shouted at him it looked like he wanted to pull out a knife - so we cycled like mad to get out of there! I'm gonna look for some pepper spray or something similar to put in my back pocket!!!

angry.gif

Think I am going to go buy some tonight, I cycle that way a lot in early morning rides....what would happen if I spray him and beat him up? Can I leave him there and just go?

Scary stuff guys. Good you are ok, and thanks to motorist for helping out. Does make one angry. I wish we can make these kind of acts stop.

Three youths, approximately 18years old, attacked me riding on my own this morning at 10-30am on the R304 opposite Steyns Nursery just outside Stellenboach. They came across the opposite side of the road in a staggered formation and hit me off my bike at 45km/h. Took cell phone and bike and ran back across road down a gravel road. A passing motorist, Mr Dannie Sandenbergh, saw the incident and managed to chase down attackers with his vehicle and retrieve my bike. PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHEN RIDING ON YOUR OWN!

2 cyclists were attacked in East London a week back with pangas and planks. This sunday the cycling fraternity of East London are staging a protest ride to the informal settlement and are handing over a memorandum to the Headman. Going out in full group force. Glad to hear you are ok.

Think I am going to go buy some tonight, I cycle that way a lot in early morning rides....what would happen if I spray him and beat him up? Can I leave him there and just go?

That's what I would do.

Never cycle without my pepperspray (even on a group ride). Got the "cyclist specific" one. Sprays up to 2 meters and works a charm ("tested" it once before :devil: )

Bought it at one of those Security Shops in malls. Quite exspensive, but comes with a velcro attachment to attach it to your bike.

angry.gif

W H A AAAAA T ???

:blink:

That's what I would do.

Never cycle without my pepperspray (even on a group ride). Got the "cyclist specific" one. Sprays up to 2 meters and works a charm ("tested" it once before :devil: )

Bought it at one of those Security Shops in malls. Quite exspensive, but comes with a velcro attachment to attach it to your bike.

Where did you buy it and how much was it?

Bought mine other side of the "Boerewors Curtain". Was about R180.00 for the cyclist specific one. Check those "Security Shops" in the malls, you get them there.

angry.gif

dommisse,

Where exactly on the R 44 were you chased?

<_<

That's what I would do.

:o ..... I can see the headline ...... Wannabe wins the argus, but the air is thick with the smell of pepper

dont upset Wannabe on a ride ..dont upset Wannabe on a ride...dont upset Wannabe on a ride...dont upset Wannabe on a ride

:o ..... I can see the headline ...... Wannabe wins the argus, but the air is thick with the smell of pepper

dont upset Wannabe on a ride ..dont upset Wannabe on a ride...dont upset Wannabe on a ride...dont upset Wannabe on a ride

My Post Of The Day - and it's only noon!!

Even Tyler Day got hit on the final sprint past the Promenade, eh?

:lol:

Hey, thats a plan :devil: . But then I'll need one of those big jobbies we used in the SAP. :D

This is not good news.. one of my new year resolutions was to cycle to work as soon as we move into our new offices... Would have to use the R44 to get from G'Bay/Strand to Stellenbosch & back. :(