Cyclist attacked outside Stellenbosch

LukeSkywalker

This is not good news.. one of my new year resolutions was to cycle to work as soon as we move into our new offices... Would have to use the R44 to get from G'Bay/Strand to Stellenbosch & back. :(

Chilli, that section of the R44 is safe. While people do walk along the road, there is always traffic (almost to much) and also loads and loads of other cyclists on that stretch

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chilli, that section of the R44 is safe. While people do walk along the road, there is always traffic (almost to much) and also loads and loads of other cyclists on that stretch

Yeah, Slowbee...

The zones where there peoples with low / no income & low / no education reside, that is where 'hot spots' originate.

People on bicycles become a targeted group for robbery.

As far as I know, other than farm working families, there is little or no such zones en route to S West.

That's what I would do.

Never cycle without my pepperspray (even on a group ride). Got the "cyclist specific" one. Sprays up to 2 meters and works a charm ("tested" it once before :devil: )

Bought it at one of those Security Shops in malls. Quite exspensive, but comes with a velcro attachment to attach it to your bike.

On who?

Taxi driver who deliberately cut me off, 3 x in a row within about a kilometer.

Eish, how did the Taxi driver take to being pepper sprayed? :unsure:

Dunno, never saw him again. It was on my regular training route upcountry, and this one Taxi was harassing us at every opportunity. The other taxis gave us a lot of room (more than passenger cars) just this one that liked to "buzz" us, cut infront and then stop, etc. REPEATEDLY!!.Encountered him on a regular basis.

One day I had enough, and after the third time he cut me off, I gave him a bit of medicine. Carried on riding for about another 10km, so he had enough time to catch up, only he never did. Was also the last time any one off us was harrassed by this (or any other) plonker.

Dunno, never saw him again. It was on my regular training route upcountry, and this one Taxi was harassing us at every opportunity. The other taxis gave us a lot of room (more than passenger cars) just this one that liked to "buzz" us, cut infront and then stop, etc. REPEATEDLY!!.Encountered him on a regular basis.

One day I had enough, and after the third time he cut me off, I gave him a bit of medicine. Carried on riding for about another 10km, so he had enough time to catch up, only he never did. Was also the last time any one off us was harrassed by this (or any other) plonker.

Give yourself a Bells! :thumbup:

I love stories like this.

This makes me think now, a while ago I was cycling on the R44 and there were 3 young males with sticks on the side of the road close to Kromme Rhee...I was a bit fast past them to get close but I think they were trouble makers but since they have not attacked me I didn't really take notice.

Count yourself lucky bru, it is the guys I didnt take much notice of either that put me in hospital for 3 days.

It is not as easy as it sounds, you should have done this, I would have done that .... I only really knew what was happening when I saw a piece of plank flying at my head. If you dont have pepper spray or whatever in your hand, locked and loaded, you wont have time to fiddle in you back pocket to get it out, it happens to quickly.

Given, I now pay much more attention .... cause it did happen to me.

Just be wary, there is a dodgy area behind Stellenbosch Square, where the BMW garage is, Jamestown. I have seen a couple of characters at those robots previously and broad daylight or too much traffic has not stopped them before.

Count yourself lucky bru, it is the guys I didnt take much notice of either that put me in hospital for 3 days.

It is not as easy as it sounds, you should have done this, I would have done that .... I only really knew what was happening when I saw a piece of plank flying at my head. If you dont have pepper spray or whatever in your hand, locked and loaded, you wont have time to fiddle in you back pocket to get it out, it happens to quickly.

Given, I now pay much more attention .... cause it did happen to me.

Just be wary, there is a dodgy area behind Stellenbosch Square, where the BMW garage is, Jamestown. I have seen a couple of characters at those robots previously and broad daylight or too much traffic has not stopped them before.

Wise words there, it is true, I know when I cycle I hardly look around me, just in the front...so if someone hits me from the side I wouldn't know where I end up. If I see people walking on the side, I cycle quite a distance past them to be safe as since you been attacked that made me more aware. I am also sure if they pull you off at speed you won't be able to get into your pocket as you will be in pain.

As for the garage, I was cycling past there 2 weeks ago on a Saturday morning, there were 3 black males at the robot on the other side of the road, when they saw me coming they tried to run over but traffic blocked them and I thought they just wanted to get across. What do you say we cycle past there one morning and see who tries to do something funny then we take it from there?

In the art of war, suprize is one of the most powerful ways to overcome one's rival. Stun. Shock.

Being surprized on the fiets in an ambush (so to speak) is easy to do.

When my heart is pounding in my ears and my HR is at 97 % with some interval training, it is easy to stun me.

Edited by ' Dale

I lived in Stellenbosch for many years and I quickly learned not to cycle past Kayamandi (R304) even when cycling in groups. Rather take the Klapmuts road (R44) until just past Delheim, first road left and continue onto Bottelary road. Much safer and a bit more challenging going over the hill by L' Avenir.