Emperors Palace MTB Classic 2012 (Presented by ASG)

Active Monkey

Hi guys, any one have any info on this for a newb... never donbe a race before and looking at the 20 km Emperors Palace MTB Classic 2012 now in feb.

see http://www.cyclelab.com/OnLine%20Entries.aspx?type=Mountain%20Biking%20Events

What is the ride like? what can I expect? any other Tips? What the average time ppl take on this one?

oh and if you want to see my "profile" to compare my fitness etc look at http://app.strava.com/athletes/178297

Im not looking at killing ,myself or injury, just want to finish.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the route is like the last few years, as a newbie, you will be fine. Having said that, you might have seen the thread on the Hub about the concrete fence that has been erected there, effectively closing off half of the route. We rode there on Saturday and there was still a small gap that had to be completed, probably today. Maybe there will be a new route for the race... Obviously if it continues to rain, there will be a lot of mud..

Was about to enter this, but now have a trip up to the northern reaches of Botswana for a job over the same weekend.

If the route is like the last few years, as a newbie, you will be fine. Having said that, you might have seen the thread on the Hub about the concrete fence that has been erected there, effectively closing off half of the route. We rode there on Saturday and there was still a small gap that had to be completed, probably today. Maybe there will be a new route for the race... Obviously if it continues to rain, there will be a lot of mud..

Take some noseplugs. I drove past that vlei the other day and it stank!

The entire fence has been completed - there is now NO gap to get through, very, very sad. I heard a rumour a while back they were looking at building an amusement park?

The gate from the residential side looked dodgy and accessible..

They are walling that off too CAAD4 so looks like no way in .

what developers .... it ACSA land and I can't see how the entire field wwill get through one little gate. 40km is 2 laps so there'll be a huge bottleneck

Just drove past and the wall ( no gate ) is up and sealed tighter than a straight guys ass at a gay convention . dont see them using that at the race anymore.

I keep promising to not do this race and always end up riding home pi$$ed off at having to navigate km's of congestion whilst considering changing the chain, cassette and chainrings after the mud bath that is this race.

Lee and his team at Sweat and Gears do an awesome job of presenting this race every year (laying down 100s of wooden crates to form a bridge over the marsh, manicuring the trails, tidying up afterwards, reccying the route for months before etc.) but I think the race will always be a problem because:

1) The land around the airport is mostly marsh and Dec/Jan are hectically wet seasons in the East.

2) The land area is limited so the course is forced into being a double lapper which always results in massive congestion.

It is a real pity because the passion and energy behind this race is immense.

Fortunately I'll be away on business for this year's edition so circumstances will save me from myself :P

After the first race 2 years ago I swore never to ride it again but my buddy talked me into riding again last year.

Same muddy grass mess that messes up your whole setup. Added to this the serious congestion at the first piece of single track through the little forest and you have a pretty crap day out. 2 years in a row we were lapped by the front runners in the forest without doing a km of riding.

Marsh smells like a sewer and I ended up with the runs for 2 years in a row. Not worth the effort.

Edited by Woolf