The Hub SA Endomondo Challenges

Disylizzy

Does this mean that, whenever you spread the legs over the MTB it is ruled as a MTB ride, even if you stick to tar?

In my case : Yes. As it is more important to me to know what bike I used to ride the route. That makes more sense if I compare times and averages etc.. on that route.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mads,

Sure, that is the only way to measure yourself. It still is a bit unfair towards a real MTB route as you travel a lot slower and put as much effort into shorter distances than you would for a 'road MTB ride", but I guess that is life...live with it!

Just a comment: I see some okes are logging MTB km's, but ride tar for 3/4 of the way to get to the dirt!! Does that constitute MTB-ing? If it was the other way round it would be fair.Say I ride on average 30 km for two hours in the mountains with 800 m vertical climb. Of that 30 km maybe only 5-7 is done on tar to get there and back. This I would call a MTB ride. Some of these okes do 50 km in two hours, but if you check the route most of it is on tar with only about 300 m of climbing, and they call themselves mountainbikers!!! :devil:

Does this mean that, whenever you spread the legs over the MTB it is ruled as a MTB ride, even if you stick to tar?

A valid comment, I was actually having this discussion with another hubber yesterday morning! But as Gummibear pointed out - some people only have mtb's and to them, whether it's on gravel/dirt/tar it's mountain biking because they have knobblies on. And then like Mads stated, for those that have both road and mtb's, it's personal preference on whether they log the mileage as mtb or road. At the end of the day you're still riding your bicycle and that's all that counts.

But if you're willing to volunteer yourself to go through 131 people's workouts and approximately 23000 km's per month of terrain to determine what's really a mountain biking working and what's a dirt-roadie workout, then feel free to do so! :devil: :P

I use my MTB for 80% of my rides which are gravel/tar and log this as road.

I consider MTB to be off road riding stuff like jeep and single track.

As Lizzy pointed out, there is no practical way to get around it.

Besides the challenges are there only for bragging rights . It's suppose to get you to cycle more, and if you do, then well done! I'm doing the commuters challenge and it annoys me to see the others guys log more km's than I do or when I have to miss a couple of days (i.e. the whole of April) So I cycle some more. If I am not at the top then so be it, but generally Ido cycle more. On cold mornings it motivates me to get on the bicycle when I'd rather stay in bed.

Edited by MichaelD

I use my MTB for 80% of my rides which are gravel/tar and log this as road.

I consider MTB to be off road riding stuff like jeep and single track.

I consider mountain biking to be riding before 8 in the morning, in the pouring rain, on a south facing mountain slope, cheered on by dancing girls, on the trails made by the lesser spotted pigmy hippopotamus.

I've logged a sum total of 43m of mountain biking my whole life.

A valid comment, I was actually having this discussion with another hubber yesterday morning! But as Gummibear pointed out - some people only have mtb's and to them, whether it's on gravel/dirt/tar it's mountain biking because they have knobblies on. And then like Mads stated, for those that have both road and mtb's, it's personal preference on whether they log the mileage as mtb or road. At the end of the day you're still riding your bicycle and that's all that counts.

But if you're willing to volunteer yourself to go through 131 people's workouts and approximately 23000 km's per month of terrain to determine what's really a mountain biking working and what's a dirt-roadie workout, then feel free to do so! :devil: :P

Disy, I realise the impossibility of the task, that is why it was meant as comment, not a gripe. I am gratefull for this challenge being there. It gets me to ride at least 3 times a week and twice on weekends.

It gets me to ride at least 3 times a week and twice on weekends.

You should join the last hub challenge. You will give everyone a good go on the time you spend in the saddle

• 3 weeks later...

:whistling:

:rolleyes:

:oops:

It's done, but I just need to upload it, and there's this thing called work that's been getting in the way!

:rolleyes:

:oops:

It's done, but I just need to upload it, and there's this thing called work that's been getting in the way!

Lol. Just excited that I've achieved something :) Thanks for the effort (once again)

Sorry, I know I said I'd post it by this morning but I have last minute meetings out on site all day! :( I promise I won't go home tonight until I've uploaded it! :blush:

I actually use DL's updates to track my own progress!

Thanks for your effort!

No need to rush with the updates though :)