ARGUS SEEDING

road

I'm praying for bad weather - no fun coming home with just a "lovely ride" story. Much better to come back with tall tales about how the wind nearly blew you into Hout Bay, and what a heroic time you made in spite of it all (in other words just as slow as always, but with a better excuse).

I LIKE it!!!! :clap: :devil:

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you want to get banned for this..... :oops:

Sorry - call me sick. I must be of the few who prefers it since they added Boyes Drive. If you're gonna give me pain, give me real pain then at least I can brag some more ... ;)

Rode B bunch last year, did ok'ish.My seeding ride was the Herald Cycle race, got a sub 3 but yet they drop me down to F!Go figure that!

Did a 4H21 from PB last year (was my first Argus). It was good enough to put me more or less mid field of all finishers. I'm in group WW..does that sound right to any of the experienced guys out there?

It's those that spend 6hrs plus on the road that should get special medals. We start early, ride hard and finish early. They start late and finish very late :eek: :whistling:

Did a 4H21 from PB last year (was my first Argus). It was good enough to put me more or less mid field of all finishers. I'm in group WW..does that sound right to any of the experienced guys out there?

I'd also figured to get a better start - 3:48 Die Burger and get TT. Was SS last year and my seeding rides this year have been +/- 30 mins quicker than last. Buddy did 3:24 Die Burger and got Y - so that 24 mins equates to almost an hour's difference in seeding/start time.

Oh well - not expecting a response from my query TBH, and in truth I'd have a great day even if they told me I had to start in OZ for breaking too many of "the rules". Looking forward to the ride, and hoping we get kind weather and everyone has a safe ride.

Edited by walkerr

Rode B bunch last year, did ok'ish.My seeding ride was the Herald Cycle race, got a sub 3 but yet they drop me down to F!Go figure that!

What is ok-ish? I did a 2:57 from E for last year's Argus and rode a 2:25 Burger (92Km) Dec last year.

As far as I know, the seeding weighs a lot on the previous year's Argus but gets affected by the Qualifying races too. Remember, the Herald will get a difficulty index based on how it compares to the Argus. I haven't done the Herald so don't know what the amount of climbing involved rates to......

This year I am seeded in A :thumbup:

Just got my reply from the seeding division.

Recap: my buddy and I both did the same races for seeding (Argus '11 and Burger 11) I crossed the line in the Argus a good 30 mins faster and the Burger by roughly the same count (if not a little more, wasn't counting).

For some reason my seeding is 'Q' his is 'G'.

I submitted my query within 10 mins of the seedings coming out last week and all I finally get today is a cut and paste email with the heading:

"Why did my seeding index not qualify me for a certain group?"

It really was the most ineffectual response that could have been pulled out of a draw and stuck to my mail. Just a rehash of the seeding procedure.

What was classic was:

"Please do not too compare your start time with that of a friend if you did not compare ALL the event results between the two of you. Each event gets treated on an individual basis.

If you did not complete any of these events, or completed any of these events in a slower time, you will not qualify for seeding and will be placed in the PPA (for PPA members) or open groups."

I made it clear as a whistle that we have done *exactly* the same seeding races and never mentions my PPA ranking.

I do realise they will have had a tsunami of people writing to them but as far as customer service goes this isn't great. Rather don't have a recourse than just blow them off with a pre-prepared email that doesn't even address the issues... and takes 4 days to even do that.

Just got my reply from the seeding division.

Recap: my buddy and I both did the same races for seeding (Argus '11 and Burger 11) I crossed the line in the Argus a good 30 mins faster and the Burger by roughly the same count (if not a little more, wasn't counting).

For some reason my seeding is 'Q' his is 'G'.

I submitted my query within 10 mins of the seedings coming out last week and all I finally get today is a cut and paste email with the heading:

"Why did my seeding index not qualify me for a certain group?"

It really was the most ineffectual response that could have been pulled out of a draw and stuck to my mail. Just a rehash of the seeding procedure.

What was classic was:

"Please do not too compare your start time with that of a friend if you did not compare ALL the event results between the two of you. Each event gets treated on an individual basis.

If you did not complete any of these events, or completed any of these events in a slower time, you will not qualify for seeding and will be placed in the PPA (for PPA members) or open groups."

I made it clear as a whistle that we have done *exactly* the same seeding races and never mentions my PPA ranking.

I do realise they will have had a tsunami of people writing to them but as far as customer service goes this isn't great. Rather don't have a recourse than just blow them off with a pre-prepared email that doesn't even address the issues... and takes 4 days to even do that.

Someone else said the same thing - just read the basics and replied with a cut and paste response. Just thought about it - do you two differ in age much? Maybe they felt that he 'qualified' for a higher seeding due to age difference..... just saying.

Someone else said the same thing - just read the basics and replied with a cut and paste response. Just thought about it - do you two differ in age much? Maybe they felt that he 'qualified' for a higher seeding due to age difference..... just saying.

Hummm... I'm a 36 and he's a 24 year old whippet. do I get penalised for being older and faster? Odd.

I'm actually not fussed about the seeding. There will be a bunch and I'll put my effort in it to get home in a decent time. I'm more annoyed about the very random seeding method and the lack of any real customer service...

Also got a very non committal and vague response from them. Crux of the matter is, I'm staying in H.

Sounds like one's got to be happy with getting a response, never mind the content.!

I guess Cycle Tour has only been going since the late 70's, so maybe they'll get the seeding right some day.! LOL

Also got the same cut&paste response, and no change to my seeding. The email did list the "seeding cut-off times" for each of the events i.e. the last times that would have counted in with a seeding, and in my case I was only just inside the Die Burger '11 one and outside the Argus '11 one. So my tail end seeding spot is probably fair based on that. Do agree their seems to be a lack of consistency though.

As an earlier post said, sure I'll find a nice bunch and enjoy the ride whatever.