Tennis...

'Dale

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why women's tennis remains yawn for me.

quick random squizz at the aus open 1/4 finals. 

Women's draw - 10 sets, 81 games 0 tie breaks

Men's - 16 sets, 154 games 3 tie breaks

let's see how the semis and finals compare here, but if i could watch only one of the four remaining singles games it would be the men's final or medvedev/tsitsipas

Why women's tennis remains yawn for me.

quick random squizz at the aus open 1/4 finals.

Women's draw - 10 sets, 81 games 0 tie breaks

Men's - 16 sets, 154 games 3 tie breaks

let's see how the semis and finals compare here, but if i could watch only one of the four remaining singles games it would be the men's final or medvedev/tsitsipas

I have a theory about why you don't see as many close games on the women's side in some tournaments

The surface. The taller more powerful ladies (esp those from the States as they are brought up on mostly hard courts) tend to do better on hard courts where as the shorter ladies (mostly Europeans where they mostly grow up on clay) who move exceptionally well do better on clay.

In years before Serena could mostly rely on her power and her movement was not as important to her.. As she is getting older and facings the youngsters who are just as powerful.. she can't move.. It's always been the weakest part of her game but yeah as she ages it is more noticeable. Enter Osaka and there you go powerful and moves really well... A d she is very good at returning serve.

The scoreline was 6-3 6-4...now I didn't watch the game but depending on who started serving in each set that looks like one service break in each set....

Edit

After reading how it unfolded.. Nevermind there were a few service breaks on each side of the net.

Edited by Gen

I can't even imagine the joys I would experience if this qualifier can knock him out today! 

Whoops.

1h53, must be one of the shorter Semi-finals a Men's Grand slam has seen.

post-27827-0-11005700-1613645498_thumb.png

Yup, I stand by what I said, I can't see anybody taking Mr torn-ab-muscle out.   I guess it will be Medvedev in the final.  The Russian must be commended on his Grand slam debut though, what a ride.  He also did bother Djokovic a lot during the match, there was some huge points in there.

At least Serena is done and in quite some dominating fashion by Osaka as well. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/30/2021 at 9:01 PM, Vetplant said:

Publicity is what brings the money in, so you've got to honour those media commitments, or else it is unfair to the other players that do stick to them. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ewn.co.za/2021/05/30/osaka-fined-and-threatened-with-french-open-default-over-media-boycott/amp

Sympathies to her with her anxiety, but if you want to be at the top of a sporting code you are going to have to live with the media attention that comes from being the best. No?

Get the best mental coach, speech writer, whatever is needed to get your confidence up for the media engagements.

She has what it takes to surpass Serena in terms of Slams. I really hope she sorts it all out and comes back to show show us some classy tennis.

https://twitter.com/EWNsport/status/1399430680237555719

I think she did the right thing to withdraw from the tournament. Get herself sorted out first instead of locking horns with the tournament organisers. Piers Morgan wrote a pretty crappy piece about this. Totally disagree with him on this one.

15 hours ago, Walt Jabsco said:

Very good article. I would not even put it in the same sentence as the crap Morgan wrote. Piers seemingly just needed another reason to circle back to Meghan Markle. 

This article on the other hand argues for this topic to be debated from both sides. Yes, the tennis player has an obligation to the fans and the tournament organisers to do the post game press conference, but maybe the structure and purpose of these conferences should also be debated. Good on Osaka for pulling out of the tournament. It shifts some responsibility to the ATP as well. It shows that this is not just a spoilt brat who “wants her cake and eat it too”, it is someone willing to sacrifice her career over this. Surely there must be some middle ground which can be reached if both sides compromise. 

2 minutes ago, Delarey said:

Very good article. I would not even put it in the same sentence as the crap Morgan wrote. Piers seemingly just needed another reason to circle back to Meghan Markle. 

This article on the other hand argues for this topic to be debated from both sides. Yes, the tennis player has an obligation to the fans and the tournament organisers to do the post game press conference, but maybe the structure and purpose of these conferences should also be debated. Good on Osaka for pulling out of the tournament. It shifts some responsibility to the ATP as well. It shows that this is not just a spoilt brat who “wants her cake and eat it too”, it is someone willing to sacrifice her career over this. Surely there must be some middle ground which can be reached if both sides compromise. 

Agreed.

My knee-jerk reaction when I saw the news headline that Osaka was boycotting media conferences made me immediately judge her as being a spoilt little Gen Z. But after reading her own side on the matter, there is definitely sympathy to her as a person.

Hearing both sides always gives better context.

Maybe it is time for a total revamp of how insights are given into the players and their performances. We have so many media options available. Maybe let the players do their own debriefing Vlog when they feel it most appropriate after the match, followed by a livestream Q&A with the designated reporters.