Locking your bike to your car

Swift01

Hmm they keep taking my money but I don't have any info on these updated requirements.

Currently the locks I have are way too thin, though I do have one of the RavX locks so will use that then.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I went to builders and they had nothing bigger than 6mm. I will keep trying.

I did get a reply from cyclesure and i sent the picture to them of @walker's method. This is their reply

"The method you have explained will be acceptable if used with any SABS approved close shackle lock"

Looks like I just need to go shopping now -)

The lock to use is the "close shackle" type as above. This is NOT the locks as pictured elsewhere with the tradiitional "u" shackle. It is a lock that has a slot cut in with the shackle moving horizontally.

You can have cable sections made up at Cable Man with crimped lugs that form the loops. A metal insert is alse placed to make the loop as small as possible. Plastic sheathed cable with a heat shrink over the lugs are also available.

@eccentric1 Thanx for the info on the cables. I will give them a call.

According to the Fred at cyclesure after I sent them the picture of how one can tie the cable to the eyelet on the car, he was happy with that solution, so he has seen the locks.

I have also emailed him what happens in such a situation where someone breaks those locks and takes the bike, with the cable still attached to the bike to be cut later. How will cyclesure react as all I will have to show is a broken lock, no cable.

If they refuse to pay out in such a situation, I will have to look for another insurance as these are real situations. I am not trying to rip off the insurance company, which I believe some people are, hence all these new rules every year about theft, I just want peace of mind that I am covered.

@eccentric1 Thanx for the info on the cables. I will give them a call.

According to the Fred at cyclesure after I sent them the picture of how one can tie the cable to the eyelet on the car, he was happy with that solution, so he has seen the locks.

I have also emailed him what happens in such a situation where someone breaks those locks and takes the bike, with the cable still attached to the bike to be cut later. How will cyclesure react as all I will have to show is a broken lock, no cable.

L

If they refuse to pay out in such a situation, I will have to look for another insurance as these are real situations. I am not trying to rip off the insurance company, which I believe some people are, hence all these new rules every year about theft, I just want peace of mind that I am covered.

The first rule about insurance is that you do not listen to what "Fred" says. Get it officially in writing from them. When they have to pay, hearsay by Fred wil help zilch.

Make sure about the lock. A close shackle lock is the "Draper" image in the link below.

http://www.google.co.za/search?q=close+shackle+lock&um=1&hl=en&client=safari&sa=N&tbo=d&biw=1024&bih=672&tbm=isch&tbs=simg:CAESEglFxlauHDZXASE7NzT7yG4hqA

I am using the cable from KNOG. its got a nice rubbery lining around the whole cable and eyes. I am sure this will suffice. I have the bosal which has those locks on but still run the cable through the bikes and then use one of those round lock jobs.

http://www.bikesdire...master-cable-22

They also come with locks.

I am sure if the cable has close shackle locks and is 12mm in diameter it will suffice. If not your claim with Cyclesure may just not be paid out.

With all these chains & locks dangling about, what about possible damage to your bikes frame, or wheels , will they pay that out if you claim for a damaged bike

My insurance says the only circumstances they wont accept liabilty is when they bike if left unlocked and unattended. thats it - no specifics on the types of locks or chain ect. No sure but i have a felt f75 insured for R15k and i pay about R90 a month which ironically is less than i pay for cellphone insurance for a phobe that is a quarter of the value?

I bought a very nice rubber coat braided wire from www.buycycle.co.za

I use a thule on my car, and it has a lock at the back to make sure it does not get stolen, so plan is use the one lock to lock the Thule and also lock this cable after it was wrapped around the bikes.

G

With all these chains & locks dangling about, what about possible damage to your bikes frame, or wheels , will they pay that out if you claim for a damaged bike

A close shackle lock looks like the example below. If any other lock or locking system is used written approval should be obtained from the insurer.

post-24908-0-73936700-1327999351.jpg

I bought a very nice rubber coat braided wire from www.buycycle.co.za

I use a thule on my car, and it has a lock at the back to make sure it does not get stolen, so plan is use the one lock to lock the Thule and also lock this cable after it was wrapped around the bikes.

G

I've also got a Thule Euroway, and also looking at using a rubberised cable and a cable bike lock. One is about 20mm(5 Star rating I got when in the UK) for locking the bike to the Thule and the other is about 6/8mm cable to lock the wheels in with a pad lock as Eccentric1 described.

Just worried about the rubbing and the damage it could do.

At least the damage is less than a bare cable or chain.

G

I've also got a Thule Euroway, and also looking at using a rubberised cable and a cable bike lock. One is about 20mm(5 Star rating I got when in the UK) for locking the bike to the Thule and the other is about 6/8mm cable to lock the wheels in with a pad lock as Eccentric1 described.

Just worried about the rubbing and the damage it could do.

My bike's front wheel came loose from the trailor rack and we lost it somewhere near Durban, after riding the Amashova.

Outsurance did not have any issues even though the wheel was "lost" and not stolen. They bought me a new set of wheels as we could not get the same rim as the one I lost. Best service ever.

Must say that this was my first claim in 7 years.

problem with that is your car get dirty... and even worse when you've been mtbing.

Just put an old blanket down.