2012 Ironman

GSNieP

Tough Day, PE crowd was amazing.

Saw a guy getting DQed about 1.5km from the finish for outside assistance when his friend (not competitor) ran with him-now that is heartbreaking.

I am all for rules but the way the refs talk/shout at athlete's was the only negative.

He may already have received a warning.

REFEREES WILL:

1.Blow whistle

2.Call your number

3.Show you a card

4.Ask your Surname

YOU WILL:

1.Report to next penalty tent

2.Report which card you received

2.1 Yellow – Sign in, have a “P” written on your number and remount your bike.

2.2 Black – Sign in, spend 6 minutes in penalty tent, and have your number crossed. You may not stretch

or go to the toilet. You stand statically next to your bike.

RULE CARDS:

1. Yellow – Not clipping helmet, mounting before mount dismount line, blocking and white line crossing.

2. Black – Drafting

3. Red – Swearing, MP3 players/cell phones, outside assistance, littering, 2 black cards or a combination of 3 cards,

not reporting to correct penalty tent or reporting the incorrect card and outside help.

RED CARD = DQ

DQ for not reporting to penalty tent or reporting wrong card can be applied after the run or if this offence is reported before

the start of the run your running gear will be placed in the penalty tent in transition.

You cannot challenge /Appeal a Red Card

Edited by gummibear

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy moly, if marshals were this tough at cycle races, I might even stand a chance at winning one myself! Three quarters of the field will be DQd for crossing the white line and littering alone. That'll leave me and a few old(er) ones to slowly fight it out for the podium.

I was standing at the special needs area all day and there was always a ref standing there. At first it was a woman, most unfriendly her body language just showed that she didn't want to be there. Then later on after dark another male ref took over think his name was Paul, he was very pleasant and controlled all the chaos in this specific area.

Now what I want to ask is in this "special needs" area seconding was permitted with in a well marked designated area where anybody could get extra requirements they needed that weren't provided for by the Ironman race committee. Now all the pros were receiving stuff straight from the seconding persons hands however if anybody else needed anything the seconding person would have to put whatever it was down on the road and then the athlete would pick it up off the road. Is this not a double standard being set? This is also not what I heard but I witnessed this all day, I was also instructed to put my mates jacket on the floor for him

Sunday was my 1st attempt at the full Iron. Did a 15:02 in absolutely appalling conditions! Swim and bike went ok but an unhappy ITB cut my run down to a walk by 16kms into the run. Pretty much had to hobble the rest of the way. Congrats to all competitors! Even those that withdrew. It took some big "ones" just to hit that swim!

Much thanks to all supporters out there aswell!

Sunday was my 1st attempt at the full Iron. Did a 15:02 in absolutely appalling conditions! Swim and bike went ok but an unhappy ITB cut my run down to a walk by 16kms into the run. Pretty much had to hobble the rest of the way. Congrats to all competitors! Even those that withdrew. It took some big "ones" just to hit that swim!

Much thanks to all supporters out there aswell!

Congrats :clap:

Any idea as to what sort of bike this is?

post-5455-0-13917400-1335375643.png

He normally rides with his son on the front, but I think conditions were to horrific for him to try. I saw him running whilst pushing his son, later in the evening,

He normally rides with his son on the front, but I think conditions were to horrific for him to try. I saw him running whilst pushing his son, later in the evening,

Ok thanks.

Ok thanks.

Yip, its the guy who normally races with his son who has cerebral palsy. Paul Wolff didn't want him to ride the bike with him(too dangerous) but they did finish together, finished pushing his son along just before I dragged myself across the line.

Outside assistance is a straight red which is a instant DQ.

I guess thats why its called Iron Man and not Iron Men....

Anyone remember the old Leppin Iron Man event, where participants were allowed a second who could run with the whole way AND a car was also allowed to follow on the run route. Used to be a whole family event in those days :thumbup:

The oldest woman to finish Ironman SA this year is 62 and the oldest guy is 69years. Woweee"

Actually the oldest woman finisher was 59 year old Denise Everitt racing in the 60 to 64 age group. She was also the only competitor to set a new course record for their age group this year, lowering the old record by more than 50 minutes in the process.

Edited by sciguy

Kevin Garwood and his son Nicholas do the Tri's together, the bike I think he got from Germany het told me once, thing weighs 13kg EXCL his son.

I guess thats why its called Iron Man and not Iron Men....

Anyone remember the old Leppin Iron Man event, where participants were allowed a second who could run with the whole way AND a car was also allowed to follow on the run route. Used to be a whole family event in those days :thumbup:

I never did the Leppin race but i did do the Voltaren one a few times.I found my cap when we packed up and my son now loves riding his bike with it.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5338/7115827935_cb7aba7d1f_c.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7242/7115825731_ca3f7d411d_c.jpg

Any idea as to what sort of bike this is?

post-5455-0-13917400-1335375643.png

The bike is a Hase which Kevin imported specially. The bike has a seat upfront and leg supports for Nikki. Kev removed the seat and leg supports at Personal Seconding station after lap one as the seat has the aerodynamics of a bus.

Kev did the swim with Nikki, towing him in the canoe. At the second buoy of lap two, the wind and waves were unbelievable. Kev took the decision to pull out as it was getting really hairy. Nikki didnt want to quit, he wanted to finish the race. So Kev put his head down and made it 6 minutes inside the cut off. An unbelievable achievement.

Race Director, Paul Wolff, did not allow Kev to take Nikki on the cycle for safety reasons because of the wind. Apparently the biggest gust measured 88km/h. Despite the complete lack of aerodynamics, Kevin made the cycle cutoff with 19 minutes to spare.

Nikki joined him for the run, Kevin pushing his running chair, doing a very respectable 5h20 for the marathon.

They finished in 15h48m. Given the horrible, horrible conditions this is a stunning achievement.

Check out their website at : www.teamgarwood.co.za

Or search for them on Facebook.

There are also some very cool videos of them on YouTube..

Edited by davem