@#$%&* Inconsiderate Cyclist's!!

Wannabe

On our ride out to Noordhoek / Sun Valley this morning, I was again dumbstruck by the absolute arrogance / stupidity of some cyclist's. All I can say is that "we" are definately our own worst enemies. Going up Chappies (from both sides) there were guys all over the road, riding two / three / four abreast. I made it a point to very politely ask / tell the guys to "keep left please and ride single file" as I was going past.This was not done because they were in front of me on the climb or slowing me down, as I'm slow enough, ^_^ but to make them aware that they are holding up cars, busses, etc. and in the process p!ssing the motorists off. And yes, there were a number of vehicles on Chappies this morning, being held up by these tjops.

Almost without exception I got told off, and in some case to flock off as it's not my problem (thanks to the four guys in matching club kit and on Mtb's just before the control point from Houtbay side.)

All four riding next to each other at a slow pace, chatting away and in the process taking up the whole of the left lane. TJOPS :cursing:

Guys, I know the weather was perfect for cycling, and yes we have to train for the World Funride Champs, but NO, we do not have to take over the whole road and inconvenience and upset the motorised road users. Be considerate and you will receive the same from the motorist's.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On our ride out to Noordhoek / Sun Valley this morning, I was again dumbstruck by the absolute arrogance / stupidity of some cyclist's. All I can say is that "we" are definately our own worst enemies. Going up Chappies (from both sides) there were guys all over the road, riding two / three / four abreast. I made it a point to very politely ask / tell the guys to "keep left please and ride single file" as I was going past.This was not done because they were in front of me on the climb or slowing me down, as I'm slow enough, ^_^ but to make them aware that they are holding up cars, busses, etc. and in the process p!ssing the motorists off. And yes, there were a number of vehicles on Chappies this morning, being held up by these tjops.

Almost without exception I got told off, and in some case to flock off as it's not my problem (thanks to the four guys in matching club kit and on Mtb's just before the control point from Houtbay side.)

All four riding next to each other at a slow pace, chatting away and in the process taking up the whole of the left lane. TJOPS :cursing:

Guys, I know the weather was perfect for cycling, and yes we have to train for the World Funride Champs, but NO, we do not have to take over the whole road and inconvenience and upset the motorised road users. Be considerate and you will receive the same from the motorist's.

+++++++

i came across a few red robot heroes this mornin coming thru camps bay and again through seapoint. They blitzed anything and everything, and the interesting part was, observing the faces of the drives at the robots. Own worst enemies is a great way of describing these types.

oh and slowing down before the red robot, and then still rolling over at slow speed is not any better. I think that pisses off the drivers even more.

I guess for those types, their flow is more important than being a good citizen of the road.

There's a bloody invasion of idiots on bicycles at the moment!

I saw the same as you this morning Capricorn, more robot flyers than ever before.

Unfortunately they were not just youngsters or racing snakes, but also bigbellied-6-hour-Argus guys. The women behave much better - perhaps that should tell us something about common sense and self preservation.

My concern is always that some pissed off motorist will take me and my (well behaved) boys out tomorrow morning because he has lost it.

Agreed on the "wakners" lable, they deserve it.

I did not even want to go into the "Traffic light blitzers" The first traffic light coming into Houtbay must have an "special" light / signal visible to only a few "gifted" cyclists, as they just blitz over it as if it was green for them, AND NO, IT WAS NOT.

Had the same **** this morning on the botlary. Just before the Kuilsriver golf club, Wielle's group rolled by us, just before the hill from Hazendal's side. So the slow down then try to race up the "hill" fkn dudes riding 5 abreast hanging onto each other's wheels almost to the median line.

so se try to inform them that they are being stupid/dangerous/whatever. WTF. the give us the @#$%$^.

Dingbats one and all.

There is way more than enough shoulder to ride 2, even three abreast. Worst thing is the slowest weakest riders were in the middle of the road, them that's gonna make *** decisions in an emergency.

This is a high speed corner for cars. they could be so easily taken out.

But NO we are old dudes, know the show, are the ****. We rule the road.

We should expect better judgement from the old pros................

Had one or two rides with Wiele's group (starting at Andrag). Will never ride with them again, as they do not stop at Stop streets or Traffic lights (at least not the rides I joined them). If you do, they just carry on riding, leaving behind, or you must do some inprompto interval training to catch up again.

Come ride in Johannesburg with Cyclelab. We rode 2 abreast for the whole route and stopped at every red light. New attitude in the club is that SAFETY COMES FIRST!

Come ride in Johannesburg with Cyclelab. We rode 2 abreast for the whole route and stopped at every red light. New attitude in the club is that SAFETY COMES FIRST!

If we can now just learn NOT to hit the brakes / stop pedalling at the start of a hill. It is criminal to dispose of momentum like that!

Unfortunately they were not just youngsters or racing snakes.

My concern is always that some pissed off motorist will take me and my (well behaved) boys out tomorrow morning because he has lost it.

I agree, why should we suffer because of some idiots?

I'm a youngster, and sometimes racing snake, but I always stop at red robots, it's not going to kill you to stop, but it could if you don't.

Edit: City Cycling Club taught me the habit of stopping at every red light, all the time, even if there aren't cars around. They're in Cape Town, so you don't even have to go to JHB.

Edited by Zac.A

I did not even want to go into the "Traffic light blitzers" The first traffic light coming into Houtbay must have an "special" light / signal visible to only a few "gifted" cyclists, as they just blitz over it as if it was green for them, AND NO, IT WAS NOT.

i saw the same thing last week on leaving hout bay. jeepers it's like they expect the cars to just wait for them.

It's actually very sad, to think it's these types that aggravate drivers, who then start not being courteous, and before long, someone gets hurt or gets dead. All cos the future funride world champions, and racing snakes decided to flip the system the bird. There aint no way to fix it in a hurry, but it would be interesting to see the cops starting to hand out fat fines to the morons.