Drafting women

BrianMTB

Nowadays ladies are, believe it or not, regarded as equals. Amazing I know, this only being the 21st century and all and women's rights being very new thing and the fairer sex just starting to shyly venture out of the kitchen and the nursery. I am sure that if the ladies had a problem pulling the group they could have just sat up and waved the men through, I don't think that there are too many guys who could stand the ego blow of being asked to do a little turn at the front

they didn't have a problem , they were probaby thinking 'look at all these losers wheelsucking us' :w00t:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Slightly off the roadie topic, but at the 24hrs of Oak Valley it was very evident that compared to previous years the ladies are getting stronger and more technically proficient on the MTB's ... well done to them.

totalsports challenge few weeks back, three of us are working together and a lady cyclists comes past us. not too fast, and not too slow, just like a bowl of porridge.

we jump on the back.

she time trialled for ~20km, maybe more. i have done my best to erase most memories of the day.

we were all individuals, doing leg three of seven . she was only doing this leg, so was gunning it.

we told her we couldn't help at that speed

she said it was fine

...her backup crew seemed to think it was quite funny, and chirped us the WHOLE way.

i promised her a sixpack at the bar. still owe it.

Nowadays ladies are, believe it or not, regarded as equals. Amazing I know, this only being the 21st century and all and women's rights being very new thing and the fairer sex just starting to shyly venture out of the kitchen and the nursery. I am sure that if the ladies had a problem pulling the group they could have just sat up and waved the men through, I don't think that there are too many guys who could stand the ego blow of being asked to do a little turn at the front

Why the need for the sarcasm?

I got issues about men drafting women.

Mostly that those women are usually too slightly built to provide much of a barrier to the wind.

Luckily, Velominati has this covered:

Rule #38 – Don’t leapfrog

. Don’t ride back into a group that just passed you and ruin their pace, the pace you couldn’t keep or you wouldn’t have been passed in the first place and especially if you’ve been passed by women. Deal with it. You’ve been

Chicked

, get used to it. There are a lot of badass women cyclists and they are going to pass your ass.

+100 ......

:D

Makes me think of one of the ladies that often rides in our group's comment a while ago:-

'I like riding with the guys, when they can keep up!' and yip she can back that up!

I got issues about men drafting women.

Mostly that those women are usually too slightly built to provide much of a barrier to the wind.

Ha ha, yeah I sometimes wish my wife was a little broader to block wind.

Doesn't matter much as I can't stay on her wheel for long!

Why the need for the sarcasm?

Just out of interest, did you finish ahead of all the girls at that race?

Thanks, and you. I think we need to learn to climb with the bunch, that chasing that we do each week is just silly ;-) Ya, I was really broken and needed a coke, but they had none! Tried to catch you, but with the cars and your descending ability, there was no chance. You put in 2 minutes on me - wish I hadn't stopped :-(

And here I thought you "racing ladies" dont stop at all. But Ya, in that "heat"...I dont blame you for stopping.

Just out of interest, did you finish ahead of all the girls at that race?

No, I'm sure I didn't TZ - And that isn't the point either, I don't think I'm better because I'm a man - I just don't think it is right for a (big) bunch of riders to have two women doing all the work on the front. I seem to be alone in that feeling though as most other contributors here have made it clear they would happily sit in the bunch.

I seem to be alone

Dude, with your p!ss poor attitude, and shitty chauvinistic comments, you're always going to be alone.

I don't think there's any issue with taking turns, it's leaving them out the front without helping that is poor form. And that's not specific to any gender. Leaving anyone on the front is bad, roll through, take your turn. On average it's faster than letting the strong person suffer on the front anyway.

NO!!

This is aboslutely not the way to do it :eek:

That is what results in hte pace being picked up, and the lady will not be able to hang on at the back --> when your turn is over, you fall back. The next guy should not pro-actively take over - he should be forced to take the lead. Period.

That sommer at the same time addresses the problem of staying out in front too long and to some extent, getting the wheel-suckers to do a bit in front.

:D

If these two women were leading "the" race they would be disqualified if they get any help from men...

Come ride/race with my wife, you'll be happy if you CAN draft her - I speak from experience :whistling:

Well put. :thumbup:

Dude, with your p!ss poor attitude, and shitty chauvinistic comments, you're always going to be alone.

Tough crowd...

My logic is this...

As Men and women are all entered into the same event (ie not seperate events for men and a seperate event for women) that sort of implies that we are all competing.

After all, in most organised sport, if the bodies that control the sport do not feel it right (for whatever reason) to combine males and females, we are all kept seperate. for example swimming, athletics etc.

So if there is a girly next to me in the group, then her gender is of no importnace in the scope of the event...and if she is kicking my backside, then she deserves to be in front.

Let her race her race, regardless of gender.

And let the best wo/man win (so to speak)

Edited by Wayne_Potgieter2