Doing my 1st 'Serious' MTB race, advice?

jedimastersa

Will be doing my 1st 'serious' MTB race at the end of the month.

I did last years 94.7 MTB and then the Emperors Classic last weekend. But have now entered with Poenster to do the 40km Sabie Classic. :nuke:

Have heard and seen from the route profile it's a pretty hectic ride? :wacko: My intention is to just finish the race, not to fussed about what time I make, just want to enjoy myself. Besides the training side of things, any advice for a MTB n00b? Things to be careful of, things not to do, things to do?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by jedimastersa

Do's - Enjoy!

Climbing isn't that bad, pace yourself.

Last race I did last year before injuring my back. Will be my first race since the injury and looking forward to a slow, pleasant ride!

Flat out until you blow!

What he said! :thumbup:

Was going to give the whole 'ride your own pace, and stop to enjoy the view' speech, but that's just gay...

Only thing I am gonna say is if you find it really tough, dont stop entering them because Sabie does have a way of not being to everyone's liking, some years when its wet and rocky, it can kinda get to you. next one at clarens is easier, but will also have a section where first timers go "really?? people ride this". and then you will get to mabalingwe (enter now cos it fills up quickly) - thats just all lekkerrr, actually a great "first race" to get you started :)

Enjoy

What he said! :thumbup:

Was going to give the whole 'ride your own pace, and stop to enjoy the view' speech, but that's just gay...

Balls to the wall. Push yourself at the uphills till you wanne puke. I'm doing the 40km Krugersdorp race this weekend don't know what to expect there.

The hills aren't that long so it's not too bad. My g/f did it with about three training rides last year, so don't stress. (Although she has latent cardio fitness from running, which helps.)

You can manage your heart-rate on the hills by just going slower, but there are some sections that will kick it up, like the rocky uphill jeep-track. But that's short and you can walk it if you're not handling.

Awesome stuff!

Not so sure about the riding till I want to puke part... :thumbdown: I seem to be pretty good at the riding at my own pace thing, as I really have only one pace and it's slow hehehe! :blush:

Am very excited about it and can't wait.

Entered the Mabalingwe one this morning. :clap:

Thanks Everyone!

"First SERIOUS race"

Don't smile, don't laugh, whatever you do. :thumbup:

Most of the time I can't afford to smile...am to out of breath!

+1 if you are not enjoying it you are wasting your time

That's the reason I am doing this! An not so worried about my times...