Ironman Panama 70.3

gummibear

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The gap is now down to 15 seconds. Armstrong is hanging tough, but it doesn't look like he'll be able to hold off the 35-year-old Kiwi.

They are at the transition area now - that's less than a km to the finish. Docherty looks like he's going to do it again - Dirk Bockel 12 years ago, Lance Armstrong today.

Or is he?

Docherty is in the lead now - he has five seconds on Lance Armstrong as he runs towards the finish chute. Armstrong isn't quitting, but he isn't able to stay with the Kiwi right now.

The gap is up to 10 seconds. We're expecting them to come into the stadium any second now. We could still have a sprint to the line.

Hah - I forgot they had to make one more loop around the parking lot! Docherty should be coming into the stadium area any second now. This place is hopping - hands down the most people I've seen at a finish line in North or South America.

Docherty is now 30 seconds ahead of Lance Armstrong. He can't ease off a bit because Armstrong is not quitting at all!

1 3:50:13 16 Bevan Docherty Santa Cruz CA NZL

2 3:50:55 0:42 24 Lance Armstrong Austin TX USA

Bevan Docherty:

"I didn't really know that I could win this. It is my first half Ironman race in 12 years and I wasn't sure how to pace myself. I got my second wind in the last 4 km and was able to catch Lance."

Cunningham just crossed the line in third, with Rasmus Henning following him in fourth.

Edited by Fish Eagle

Top 5 Men - Finish

1 3:50:13 16 Bevan Docherty Santa Cruz CA NZL

2 3:50:55 0:42 24 Lance Armstron Austin TX USA

3 3:52:59 2:46 5 Richie Cunningh Boulder CO AUS

4 3:53:38 3:25 4 Rasmus Henning Tuineje DOM

5 3:54:44 4:31 12 Romain Guillaum Montmorot FRA