Ironman Panama 70.3

gummibear

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sjoe, didn't Henning cause a storm on twitter with the claim that the top three weren't tested, just random from 4th place down?

Well done Lance! I see he'll be in France in June. Should be a cracker!

TOUR de France legend Lance Armstrong has made an extraordinary return to a sport he did as a teenager, finishing second to New Zealand's former Olympic gold medallist Bevan Docherty in the Panama 70.3 triathlon.

ArCancer survivor Armstrong, who retired from professional cycling last year, was in the news last week when Federal prosecutors in the US closed an investigation of him following allegations of drug use made by his old teammate, drug cheat Floyd Landis.

This morning he was capturing headlines again after an astonishing second place in the 1.9 km swim, 90km cycle, 21.1km run triathlon in Panama City.

"It's great to be back,'' said a sunburnt Armstrong after his second place.

Armstrong was run down by Docherty (3hr 50min 13sec) in the final leg of the race, finishing in 3hr 50min 55sec and ahead of Australian athlete Richie Cunningham (3hr 52min 59sec).

The American said he had recorded all his data from the race and would look over it in a bid to improve his performance in his return to triathlon after more than two decades.

A talented triathlete as a teenager before shifting his focus to cycling, Armstrong's grand plan is to contest the Hawaii ironman triathlon - rated one of the toughest endurance races in the world.

His result in Panama this morning shows he may not just be there for the challenge but as a contender for the podium.

The seven-time Tour de France winner will contest Ironman France (double the distance of the 70.3) in June in an attempt to qualify for this year's Hawaii ironman on October 13.

Sensationalistic reporting. If Armstrong grabbed him and hugged him he would have wondered if Lance was a moffie.

@bevanjdocherty: 4 the record @lancearmstrong apologized 4 not shaking my hand, combination of dizzy (like me) & media mob.

Merged with original topic.

Any comments on the dope-testing protocol? Usual or not?

I'll bite.... Read here http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=16576 and cynically on there "Armstrong didn't test positive for many years at the back end of his career(s), surely a drug test in a tri wouldn't be a problem, even if he were doping?"

Edited by HEman

I'll bite.... Read here http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=16576 and cynically on there "Armstrong didn't test positive for many years at the back end of his career(s), surely a drug test in a tri wouldn't be a problem, even if he were doping?"

Hahahaha! Yeah. What I am trying to get at, shouldn't at least the winner be tested? What is the WADA protocol?

Perhaps special favor was given for him Lance Armstrong and the World Triathlon Corporation announced a long-rumored partnership this morning that will include the seven-time Tour de France winner competing as a professional triathlete in several Ironman and Ironman 70.3 races, http://endurancesportsflorida.com/2012/02/09/the-inevitable-ironmanlance-armstrong-marriage/

Hahahahahaha! You're not helping. But yrah, that would fuel rumours of favouritism. Maybe he bought WTC a testing lab? But, why wasn't the guy who beat him tested?