How / what is the best way to learn how to build / service my bike?

Stray Cat

Hey guys

So 2011' which was a pretty cr@p year for cycling is over and I'm starting a job next week which pays my more and has amazing work hours ( which is an awesome combo)

So with my extra time and money, I would. Like to learn how to service my own bike and ideally build up a single speed from so I can commute to work.

But at the moment, I have very little talent in that department, so what is the best way to learn? Books?you tube? Mechanic course?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Hey guys

So 2011' which was a pretty cr@p year for cycling is over and I'm starting a job next week which pays my more and has amazing work hours ( which is an awesome combo)

So with my extra time and money, I would. Like to learn how to service my own bike and ideally build up a single speed from so I can commute to work.

But at the moment, I have very little talent in that department, so what is the best way to learn? Books?you tube? Mechanic course?

Cheers

There is plenty on the interweb, loads of videos on Youtube

Johan Bornman (Yellow Saddle) does a weekend course on bike repair/maintenance, which includes the Parktools Blue Book in the cost

Parktool website, Sheldon Brown's website. Google anything you want, check some videos on youtube.

I started by buying the tools as I went along and something needed doing. I started with some simple stuff like cable changes and brake services, moved onto BB and headset servicing, replacing drivetrains, deraileurs etc... now I pretty much do everything except truing wheels and serving my suspension.

My best tip is have a digital camera and take pictures as you go along so you know the order that you stripped things off and how things should look when you build back up. Oh and don't let a toddler help you, no matter how much he begs

Oh and don't let a toddler help you, no matter how much he begs

All of my maintenance is scheduled for after my toddler's bedtime. However don't work when you are too tired as you end up doing stupid things that will have to be repaired the next night, and so on.

But in general, self teaching with a bit of net research is all you need for most stuff, and buy tools on an as and when needed. Although: get a bike stand early on, once you get one you wonder how on earth you got by without it.

Its amazing what you can learn from video tutorials on You Tube. Learnt how to remove a cassette and bleed my own brakes. In fact after trial and error with my trusty laptop video streaming how to guides in in front of me I am now comfortable doing everything on my own EXCEPT for servicing my shock.... I leave that to the professionals. Its amazing how easy some of the stuff is to do though! Breaks my b@lls paying R600-R750 to a bike shop to do a service on any of my bikes!

Hey guys

Cheers

What is your technical abilities, can you do small household repairs like changing a plug, What tools do you have at present, screwdrivers, spanners sockets etc. Do you have a welder and angle grinder. If you do I, Pm me your email address and I will send you a skretch plan for a cheap and easy bike stand to make yourself. I have used mine for a long time and even service our Tandems on it. Repairing and servicing your own bike is gratifying and a good experience. Remember you cannot damage anything so much that it cnnot be repaired as it is nt a black art as many would like you to believe. Not one of my seven bikes has ever seen the inside of a bicycle shop since 2001.

Pic of my current setup with rack for tools, spares and self made bike stand attached.

PS those bar ends have been removed and has been replaced with snazzy rubber coated smaller ones.

post-24908-0-22666200-1328784331.jpg

Its amazing what you can learn from video tutorials on You Tube. Learnt how to remove a cassette and bleed my own brakes. In fact after trial and error with my trusty laptop video streaming how to guides in in front of me I am now comfortable doing everything on my own EXCEPT for servicing my shock.... I leave that to the professionals. Its amazing how easy some of the stuff is to do though! Breaks my b@lls paying R600-R750 to a bike shop to do a service on any of my bikes!

Yup I totally agree with you. I also order all my spares from www.chainreactioncycles.com and use the money saved to order some tools. Tools ordered with saving are my BBB torque wrench, 3rd hand tool, L&R handthread crank taps, spoke tensiometer (I now JB does not like this tool), special tools to service the Marzocchi shocks etc etc.

Johan Bornman (Yellow Saddle) does a weekend course on bike repair/maintenance, which includes the Parktools Blue Book in the cost

My husband went to Johan's weekend course and has been servicing our bikes ever since. Was worth it for us!

Hey guys

Cheers

Spelling and grammar classes would be a start.

That way you would then be well placed to read The Big Blue book, and others.

If not, I suggest GOOGLE. You don't even need to be able to spell. It auto corrects for you.

Good initiative though. Well done. You will have a lot more of your salary over to spend on bling and parts, although all that extra time you rave on about may well be consumed if you go for SRAM rather than Shimano.

Spelling and grammar classes would be a start.

That way you would then be well placed to read The Big Blue book, and others.

If not, I suggest GOOGLE. You don't even need to be able to spell. It auto corrects for you.

Good initiative though. Well done. You will have a lot more of your salary over to spend on bling and parts, although all that extra time you rave on about may well be consumed if you go for SRAM rather than Shimano.

This type of posting is why I Detest Aussies!! Sis man hoekom is jy so 'n ou puntjiesgat!!!

The man did not ask about SPELLING lessons, he wants to service his friggen bike, yikes kom reg piet!!!!!!!!

Edited by eccentric1