Air preasure in air shock, Fox 32

Duimpies

Hi Guys, bought the new GT Zaskar pro 29er, its has a Fox 32 RL front air shock, any one know what the air preasure should be ?

I set up a fox 32 just this weekend, but it's quite a different model.

It's the 150mm travel version to be used on a slopestyle bike. A pressure of 60-70 psi gives a good feel.

Edited by patches

I set up a forx 32 just this weekend, but it's quite a different model.

It's the 150mm travel version to be used on a slopestyle bike. A pressure of 60-70 psi gives a good feel.

Mine is the 100mm travel , so i would assume Psi should be lower

I set up a fox 32 just this weekend, but it's quite a different model.

Doesn't that depend on how fat my .... oops sorry the a$$ on the bike is :whistling:

Surely higher. Less travel higher pressure. Am I wrong?

not necessarily...

being 100mm and for the purpose of XC, you will want to run it with less sag than a slopestyle build. as fas as I'm aware, XC sag is anything form 10-20% (which is 10-20mm on your 100mm fork)

So that can be a good place to start. Pump it up to around 60% and see what the sag is.

not to sound stupid, but now you talking foriegn to me. So should i pump it up to 40PSI , and see how it feels and then increase as i go along , until it feels right

sorry, my bad... that 60% was supposed to be 60psi.

but yeah, pump it to 40psi. check sag. adjust accordingly

Edited by patches

not to sound stupid, but now you talking foriegn to me. So should i pump it up to 40PSI , and see how it feels and then increase as i go along , until it feels right

Not at all. For now forget about psi and focus on sag. That is the amount (measured in mm's) the fork compress when you sit on the bike with all your gear on) Give YouTube a go - there's some Fox / RockShox / Bikeradar tutorials on there on how to set sag.

In short.

1. Get a tape measure and shock pump.
  2. Pump about 60psi into the fork
  3. Roll o-ring to the bottom of the stanction (IF your fork doesn't have one use a cable tie)
  4. While fully kitted gently climb on the bike in riding position. (Ask someone to hold the bike up or very, very gently lean against something making sure it doesn't bare any weight)
  5. Gently climb off.
  6. Measure the amount the o-ring / cable tie moved.
  7. For your fork / bike / application it should be about 20mm which is 20% of travel. Any less than that and there's no way you'll get full travel or any mount of small bump performance.
  8. If it's more than 20mm add some air, if it's less remove some air. (go in 5-10psi increments)
  9. Then gently climb on and off your bike and measure again.
  10. Keep going till you hit 20mm sag - THAT'S the amount of air / psi your fork needs

For rebound (the "R" in RL ) turn it all the way to one side. From there take it all the way to the other side while counting the amount of clicks. Then set it on 40% from slowest. Should be good starting point for now.

Tip of the day: To bed a fork (especially a Fox who is known for not yielding full travel) run it softer the first month or so. You'll know when it's bedded then take it back to where it should be, ie 20mm sag.

Edited by The Crow

Hi,

I am also in the process of going through setting up my fork and shock.

i have a Fox RLC 100mm fork, Question before measuring the sag were should the slow compression knob be? and what setting for the Rebound? these will affect the amount of sag???

Shock is a Fox RP23, same question in what position should the lever be in ? off with compression on "0" and which way for the rebound, fast or slow? this will also affect the sag

Can not find answers to these anywere on the web????

Hi,

I am also in the process of going through setting up my fork and shock.

i have a Fox RLC 100mm fork, Question before measuring the sag were should the slow compression knob be? and what setting for the Rebound? these will affect the amount of sag???

Shock is a Fox RP23, same question in what position should the lever be in ? off with compression on "0" and which way for the rebound, fast or slow? this will also affect the sag

Can not find answers to these anywere on the web????

Rebound shouldn't affect your sag, only the rate at which the shock moves through the stroke. The low speed compression and rebound I have found are a personal preference. I run all my forks at about as fast as they can go. The rear shocks I run at a medium rebound rate. Too fast and it will kick me over the bars when dirt jumping. (had that before after rebuilding a bike and forgetting to setup the rear shock again :lol: )

As for your RP23. I have one of those on my 4X bike serving 100mm travel. Again, this is all personal preference, but I run mine at a medium rebound with 10-15% sag. You should have it set to 0 (the open setting) when you pump it up. I'm 86kg and with my bike's single pivit system that equates to around 180psi to give me that 10-15%. Considerably more pressure than one would put in a fork.

I'm no scientist when it comes to suspension setup, but if you get the sag and feel (ito rebound) right then tadaah!

Edited by patches

Start with front shock. pump psi same as your weight and check sag 20% hard 30% soft ,adjust in increments of 10 .Start rebound in the middel ,ride around and adjust.If it kicks it is too much .For rear shock weight X2 psi and adjust again.Rebound setting,the blue lever away from propedal or blue lever opposite air inlet.If you are confused .Front shock should be soft .Rear should be hard

Edited by ben-johan

Start with front shock. pump psi same as your weight and check sag 20% hard 30% soft ,adjust in increments of 10 .Start rebound in the middel ,ride around and adjust.If it kicks it is too much .For rear shock weight X2 psi and adjust again.Rebound setting,the blue lever away from propedal or blue lever opposite air inlet.If you are confused .Front shock should be soft .Rear should be hard

Some of the worst advise out there.

1. Start with shock always as it's sag has the biggest influence on where you weight bias will and for that reason can have a massive impact on fork setup.
  2. Pumping fork to your weight worked in the 90's. Still maybe not a bad starting point, but not all brands, and even within a brand, models fork take the same amount of air to yield the same amount of sag.
  3. Set rebound and ride around? Ride around where? The street? The parking lot?
  4. On a shock rebound is the red dial.
  5. Fork and shock must be balanced. If one is hard and one soft you will not have a pleasant ride. Both must use full travel at least once a ride, for XC riders every other ride otherwise why do you have the travel to begin with?
  6. If you have a shock that's "hard" you won't be able to enjoy all the dual suspension benefits.

Yes, setup is down to personal taste, but there's personal taste and then just plain simple bad advise. Just because it works for you or that's how you've been riding it since forever doesn't necessarily mean it's right.