Radio dj complaining about cyclists

Cippo

If the ****holes are riding 3 or 4 abreast, how on God's earth can it not be their fault?

Supersix 3 is taking issue with the fact that it is not the attittude of a cyclist; it is the attitude of people in general. In all walks of life. He's spot-on.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Must agree with a few comments in this thread. My opinion is that the general "state of the nation" is very poor especially when it comes to roads and the people who use them. The biggest problems being we have become totally intolerant of other road users, we race around like the world is coming to an end, we have complete disdain for the law. No one cares. Everyone just wants to get somewhere 10 minutes faster without a care of the people around them. This includes all of us motorists, runners, cyclists, motorcyclists, walkers, pedestrians the whole damn lot. We buy our drivers licenses ? WTF ? It all started in and around 1994 ....... and has spread like a cancer and continues to comsume us.

explain?

If the ****holes are riding 3 or 4 abreast, how on God's earth can it not be their fault?

makes me think of the Sanral ads, "do you see a arrogant cyclist setting his /someones elses life in danger, or do you see someone who wants to chat to his buddy.."

Edited by cervelo

Supersix 3 is taking issue with the fact that it is not the attittude of a cyclist; it is the attitude of people in general. In all walks of life. He's spot-on.

+1

So you saying when you come across a bunch of twats taking up an entire lane it doesn't bother you?

It makes no difference whether the driver is in a rush or not, cyclists are NOT supposed to ride 3,4,5 abreast.

And to have them waving the middle finger really pisses me off too (They're in the wrong and they still have the audacity to insult). Have you got kids? You need to teach them that there are no degrees of wrong; wrong is wrong, not maybe incorrect.

So you saying when you come across a bunch of twats taking up an entire lane it doesn't bother you?

It makes no difference whether the driver is in a rush or not, cyclists are NOT supposed to ride 3,4,5 abreast.

And to have them waving the middle finger really pisses me off too (They're in the wrong and they still have the audacity to insult). Have you got kids? You need to teach them that there are no degrees of wrong; wrong is wrong, not maybe incorrect.

+1

Yeah, the atttitude of entitlement has been a part of SA culture for much, much longer.

Barry,wait until you meet Saffers overseas esp Asia and South East Asia.I try and avoid them the behaviour is so bad.No manners.Generalisation but boy have I seen it.

Barry,wait until you meet Saffers overseas esp Asia and South East Asia.I try and avoid them the behaviour is so bad.No manners.Generalisation but boy have I seen it.

I cringe in embarrassment.

Here is the standard answer to all of this.

The rules of the oad state clearly, that

a. you may only pass another vehicle WHEN IT IS SAFE TO DO SO

b. You may not pass a vehicle that is busy passing another vehicle.

So if you see a cyclist in the middle of the road and it is obviously unsafe to pass that vehicle then you, as the motorist/ other cyclist are obliged by law to slow down and wait until it is safe to do so. Trying to lambast the other road user simply wil not take your responsiblility to use the road in a safe manner away from you.

Problem is that most motorists do not see any vehicle smaller than theirs as legitimate road users. One day I would like to drive a G6 self propelled artillery gun down the N1 in rush hour traffic (or through craighall park) and teach these bastards a few lessons about road usage.

On point (B) it is obvious that cyclists NEVER cycle abreast, but are in the process of passing each other, so it is obvious that the other road user should SLOW down and wait their turn to pass SAFELY.

See a simple change of perspective and we are all friends again.

Question, with all the opinions expressed between the three recent threads, who is right? Is there a right or does the outcome stay in limbo while we differ in opinion?

This was happening for years when we started negotiating for trail rights. The constant disregard for the rules kept our hands tied and because of this, the rule breakers felt their actions were justified because the landowner did not want to commit to the plans.. Fact is, the riders were in the wrong and they would just not admit fault.. The landowners opinion was if they could not abide by the few very simple rules, how could extensions to our rights be granted?

I see a lot of similarity between that and this.. Riders want acceptance but do not want to admit fault when corrected. I am not saying all the drivers are right, but who do we want acceptance from?? Huh??

Could we run a pole/poal/paul/poll?

I do have kids. Two great boys. They know wrong from right. They also know how not to project their own misconceptions onto an argument. I believe I have taught them that. Read my post again. Then go wallow. I in no way justified their behaviour. I simply stated my support for an opinion that said this is not cycling- or motoring-related. It's a by-product of a selfish culture.

Pick a fight with someone else.

Do you have kids?

Mate, we see it on this forum too. Not only do they think they are entitled to their opinions, but they believe that you are entitled to their opinions too. They bang their heads bloody on their keyboards because you don't agree with them. Do those riders who ride three abreast consider themselves cyclists? No. They are accountants, doctors, engineers, mechanics, etc, who happen to ride bikes. I'm not a cyclist. I'm a beer-loving, sushi-eating purveyor or human tragedy who happens to ride bikes.

I have a daughter. I took her for her first ride up Chapmans Peak on Sunday. Good thing I was there to ride behind her because some of the idiots who drove past us saw fit leave less than 6 inches between us and their cars. Obviously we were riding single file.

So far no-one has brought it up on the radio.

The problem is not the cyclist and it is not the driver,

it is the egocentric - immature - emotionally challenged individual.

So lets find some way to help these people.

That help, my friend, is blowing in the Darwinian wind.