Rugby...

'Dale

As was predicted, the Cheetahs currently lack the depth and budget to field two competitive teams in two premier competitions at the same time. But given the proximity to successful junior teams and the wealth of coaching knowledge, I'm hoping there's an opportunity to retain young talent and just as importantly attract emerging talent. This was year one of the experiment. It will take another season or two to gain some momentum. The Union needs the revenues from both competitions if they want to retain and attract talent.

What the CC lack is context:

So the Sharks won. By the start of the Super Rugby Championship it will be forgotten.

There is no real incentive to do well in the CC anymore. Eg. if the first 4 sides got Super Rugby slots every year and the top 2 sides get a favorable draw for Super Rugby you’ll see the top players in action. I would also move the CC to after the Pro14 and send sides 5 and 6 to the following Pro14 competition.

Yes, the CC will then be played in Summer, but so is Super Rugby.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Win or lose to the ABs in the group stage means we only see them again in the final, just like the Poms in 2007. Only 7 games in the RWC, but they only need to win games 2-7 to lift the trophy.

good point, but i think of the two options it's better to beat NZ!

(big)assume Ireland/Wales/England win the other three pools

Beat NZ and top the group

1/4 scotland/japan

1/2 Wales or france/arg

final kiwis

Lose to NZ and runner up in group

1/4 Ireland

1/2 Eng or Australia

final kiwis

either way, you can drop one game in the pools, beat the minnows and then you just need 3 on the trot.

simple

imagine the newspaper articles if we meet japan in the 1/4s!

While I am happy we won and am totally thrilled at the excitement in the last 5 min. We did not deserve to win that game. 

Agree.

We sucked. 

While I am happy we won and am totally thrilled at the excitement in the last 5 min. We did not deserve to win that game.

Agree.

We sucked.

ESPN Scrum agrees with you gents as do I. Felt rather frustrated for much of the second half at the Boks and their lack of play. The only mitigating factor being the lack of possession and teritory they throughout the match. That said last year we would've lost this one badly and it's a credit to them that they found a way to hang in and win. Hopefully they'll be more switched on and focused for the next match against a resurgent Scotland. We will need to be as they will be on a high from their very good win against Fiji.

Also chuffed with Wales beating Aus even though it was a seriously scrappy and error strewn match. Halfpenny missing two kicks also a bit unusual and made the match more tense than it should've been for the Welsh.

Also chuffed with Wales beating Aus even though it was a seriously scrappy and error strewn match. Halfpenny missing two kicks also a bit unusual and made the match more tense than it should've been for the Welsh.

Oegh, yes. Same here, and Eng pushing AB's to the limit.... 1 point... I normally support the northern sides against our foes, but not yesterday....

That said. Aus need to get rid of Cejka now... we need a strong Aus, and they have been floundering for a while now (much like us) 

Edited by Warthog

Oegh, yes. Same here, and Eng pushing AB's to the limit.... 1 point... I normally support the northern sides against our foes, but not yesterday....

That said. Aus need to get rid of Cejka now... we need a strong Aus, and they have been floundering for a while now (much like us)

I have a very hard time supporting Aus as a team tbh although I enjoy the skill of some in their team. As bad as we have been during 2016 and 2017 and as inconsistent as we've been this year the Aussies have been worse imho. In some ways I feel for Cheika. Aside from Folau Hooper and Pocock he doesn't have any genuine world class players in his squad. Hard to build a world class team without world class talent. That said there does need to be a change of some kind in the coaching group of Aus. Not sure if Cheika needs to be let go or if a change is required wrt the assistant coaches but even if they do make such changes they still have a mountain to climb to get their team competitive.

Listening to my mates who have moved to Aus I find it amazing that they have even been such a force in rugby as it appears it’s almost a non sport there, coming a sad third to Footie and Rugby League, imagine if it was the most popular sport!

Listening to my mates who have moved to Aus I find it amazing that they have even been such a force in rugby as it appears it’s almost a non sport there, coming a sad third to Footie and Rugby League, imagine if it was the most popular sport!

Actually it's worse. Rugby Union is behind Rugby League then Soccer and then Aussie Rules in ascending order. Read an article in which the writer showed that Union only had a third of the participants that Soccer has over a given weekend. Also the interest in Union is really low and they are being out done ito marketing by the other winter sports. Rugby Australia's choice of copying ourselves and New Zealand ito a national domestic league was also heavily criticised along with the lack of support for the clubs that have traditionally brought the talent forward. It almost sounded like the Aussies are in greater strife than what we are.

Same with Ireland.. it's their 4th sport

I remember when I was in Perth.. Where rugby is barely recognised.. You had to really search in the paper to find rugby results

Same with Ireland.. it's their 4th sport

I remember when I was in Perth.. Where rugby is barely recognised.. You had to really search in the paper to find rugby results

:eek:  :eek:  :eek:  Holy shoot!!! That their 4th sport and they fill stadia like Saturday...

:eek: :eek: :eek: Holy shoot!!! That their 4th sport and they fill stadia like Saturday...

rugby still helluva popular.. Unlike Aus.... But That's what the all Ireland hurling final looks like at croke park

55c0bf9f5ab3b358fa8f06fe0275923a.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek: Holy shoot!!! That their 4th sport and they fill stadia like Saturday...

And they are second in the world at it at the moment!

I have a very hard time supporting Aus as a team tbh although I enjoy the skill of some in their team. As bad as we have been during 2016 and 2017 and as inconsistent as we've been this year the Aussies have been worse imho. In some ways I feel for Cheika. Aside from Folau Hooper and Pocock he doesn't have any genuine world class players in his squad. Hard to build a world class team without world class talent. That said there does need to be a change of some kind in the coaching group of Aus. Not sure if Cheika needs to be let go or if a change is required wrt the assistant coaches but even if they do make such changes they still have a mountain to climb to get their team competitive.

I don't think most Aussies care how much their Rugby Union team suck. It's only 11th on the list of most popular sports in Aus (Last I checked).

Edited by Moridin

There were a lot of seats vacant at the French game which is sad as their National team were playing in Paris. I am torn between watching the Boks play next week or going to watch the Dutch face off the Swiss in Amsterdam. I am in two minds about the live game as the Dutch don't put on a good performance in rugga, but at least they rank in the top 30 at 27 whereas the Swiss are nowhere to be seen.